Thread: Lynx Lake vs James Lake cabins

Default Lynx Lake vs James Lake cabins

I saw in an earlier thread about possible noise on Lynx Lake. I was planning on a 4 night trip, two nights at Lynx Lake cabin #1, then 2 nights at James Lake. This would be midweek, Monday-Thursday, in August. Would we be better off with all 4 nights at James Lake?

Nancy

I stayed at James Lake Cabin for 5 nights in September. You still get planes flying over, but otherwise it's pretty quiet. When it was calm during the day, I could hear folks working on their private cabin on Lynx Lake. That same week, we had friends staying at one of the Lynx Lake cabins (#1 or 2 I think). They said our cabin was about 2x the size of theirs and much nicer. Nice thing about James Lake cabin location is it's at the other end of the lake as the canoe route, so no one really goes paddling by that part of the lake.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff! It seems like we'd be better off with 4 nights at James Lake and just do day trips to paddle around Lynx Lake and the others. Do you know how bad mosquitoes might be in mid/late August?

Nancy

I don't have any first hand experience, but I'm guessing if it's not windy, the skeeters could be quite bad. In reading the guest journal kept at the James Lake cabin, several entries mention how bad the mosquitos were. Out on the lake I doubt they'd be too bad, just more incentive to get through the portages and back onto the water.

Default forgot to mention

Regardless of which cabin you stay in, take the thickest sleeping pad you can get with you. Those plywood bunk beds don't give one bit. After 5 nights on them, I was more than happy to get back to my own bed. I had a standard size Thermarest and even used an "egg crate" pad someone left, and it was still hard sleeping.

I stayed at Lynx cabin #2 last summer and would say to aim for James lake. It was a shock to canoe all the way in without any bit of civilization and then pop out on Lynx lake with the bible camps and houses. The cabin was only about 200yds from some guys construction project at his cabin. It was circular saw all weekend long.