Thread: Any Suggestions For Making an AR More Accurate?

Default Any Suggestions For Making an AR More Accurate?

I cant seem to get a good group with my AR. I have tried many different kinds of ammo but no luck. It is a DPMS A-2. I would like to be able to shoot out to 200 yards but at 100 yard I can only get about a 3inch group. Would getting a new barrel help?

Thanks
    Carl

What are you using for an optic?

What ammo?
    What twist is your barrel?

Good questions so far...let me ask: How are you shooting? If you are using the sling and you don't have a float tube, every little change in sling tension will (may) change bullet impact.

Post barrel

like what the other guys are saying your barrel depends on your accuracy, the weight of some bullets might be wrong for the twist of your barrel.

1x9 twist is one of the most common barrels because it works well with most types of ammo. If you are using the suggested bullets with your barrel and still not getting the results you want you should think about changing your barrel or even free floating your handguard. If your shooting off your sights and not using a bench rest to sight it in at 100 yards it might be the operator error. NOT trying to say your a bad shot but when you take the human element out and test it first to see if it is the barrel. I would test it out with a bench rest first and then move on to the freefloat handguard, if its still not doing what you want then the barrel would be the next step. Since barrels are the most expensive part of the step by step process it should probably be the last thing you should think about replacing.

my two cents...

Quote Originally Posted by AKCarl View Post
    I cant seem to get a good group with my AR. I have tried many different kinds of ammo but no luck. It is a DPMS A-2. I would like to be able to shoot out to 200 yards but at 100 yard I can only get about a 3inch group. Would getting a new barrel help?

Thanks
    Carl
    I will assume here you are using the standard A-2 aperature sights and that it is 5.56 caliber. If you're just getting 3" groups try using the small aperature. This will raise the POI a few inches but you should still get a much better group. Also, shooting from a good sand bag rest will help alot. I was able to get a few 1" groups with my grandson's M-15 Armalite rifle while sighting in with a set of Mid West Industries flip up sights. It is an A-4 style flat top, front and rear. Mostly though from the sand bags I am a two inch shooter and then only with the right target for best visability. Definately the small aperature helps to sharpen that front sight with these old eyes.

I don't personally think there is an AR rifle that is capable of groups worse than 3" when everything is clean and sights well mounted, etc, regardless of twist rate or bullet.

So I must ask, with what rifle have you recently shot 1" groups? Don't take this the wrong way but if you never have shot a 1" group from a sand bag, you can't expect much better now.

Gettting a new barrel sounds like a bit of expense without a thorough cleaning first and maybe a better rest. Has this rifle been shot extensively (several thousand rounds)? Did you acquire it used?
    Last edited by Murphy; 01-15-2009 at 06:08.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I have to agree with Ranger. First thing is to try to locate where the problem is. If you cant bench it and get a better group, it is more likely to be mechanical.

From there, check the bore and rifling. I am assuming that you have an a2 birdcage flash hider, so you dont exactly have a crown to check.

Let us know how that goes and we'll try to pinpoint it for ya. There are a lot of variables at this point.

I just wonder what bullets and twist rate you guys think would turn a 1 MOA gun into a 3 MOA gun at 100 yards?

Also, where will we find a 1 in 12 twist 223/5.56 caliber AR rifle these days?

The 1 in 12 twist will stabilize any 55 grain bullet (from 16" or longer barrel at 223 velocity) for a 1" group at 100 yards. Well, it did back in the old days.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

How much slop do you have between the lower and upper receiver?
    Now what ?

I have been shooting off the bench with an 18in 1 in 9" twist barrel. I was shooting 65 grains.

I have a Leupold Vx3 6.5-20x40.

The upper and lower receivers have a nice tight fit to them.
    I took the iron sight upper off and switched it with a flat top.

Would like to use it for varmints but I dont have the confidence with it to shot over 100 yards. I shoot better groups with my .22 mag than the AR.

Just curious what weight bullet should I shoot with a 1 in 9" twist? What about a 1 in 8"?

I am in the process of buying a 24in stainless bull barrel for it so we will have to see what that does.

Thanks
    Carl

For the 1x9 try a 60gr or lighter.
    The 1x8 should like bullets up to 70gr.
    But try different brands of ammo.
    Those aren't set in stone as every barrel will be different.
    Slop between the upper and lower have no affect on accuracy.
    What brand of ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by Badriverman View Post
    For the 1x9 try a 60gr or lighter.
    The 1x8 should like bullets up to 70gr.
    But try different brands of ammo.
    Those aren't set in stone as every barrel will be different.
    Slop between the upper and lower have no affect on accuracy.
    What brand of ammo?
    1:9 should be best with 55gr but it can go either way.

Default AR groups

I have a Bushmaster Predator with a Bushnell 3200 firefly scope and shooting off the bipod I have shot several 3/8 to 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards. I was using Hornady Varmint Express 223 55 grs V Max moly coated ammo. I have also shot groups of 3/8x3/4 groups using Sierra 69BTHP match bullets. With a little work and shooting you should do lots better then 3".
    That is part of the 'fun' shooting more. Good luck in finding a load that 'your' rifle likes.

See I would love to shoot more but between the expense and it being dang cold out for 6 months out of the year I don't target practice much. Its hard to spend a couple hours at the range when its 30 below. I've tried probably 4 or 5 different kinds of ammo. I will figure it out more come spring.

Thanks
    Carl

Default Before giving up on the barrel you have...

Take the target out to 200 yards and see what it's giving you out there. Owner of theshop where I'm 'working' has the same problem with a 1-9 twist Bushmaster 24" Varminter with fluted barrel, using 75 gr. Hornadys with a known load that performs well in a bolt gun with the same twist. At 100 yards, it's pretty pathetic, shooting 2" groups, BUT, at 200 yards, it's shooting 1 1/2"! Konus 4.5-14X44 scope, and a Bushmaster two stage trigger were added, with the float tube resting on sandbags, and butt in V bag.
    Additionally, I've had a bit of experience with chromed bores in the past that absolutely refuse to perform their best until they were fouled. Most notable was a Belgian BLR in .308 that gave near-2" groups at a hundred yards till I had perhaps ten rounds through the bore. As long as I never did much more than run a dry patch through it to knock the chunky parts out, it would hover around 3/4".
    Neither of these suggestions cost more than a bit of time to try......

There is a hole list of what could be doing this with you weapon.
    Little known fact is that the m16,ar15 m-4 a1 to a4 per mil standards are a 1 to 3 MOA weapon. It is a luck of the draw to pull one out of the box and have a real nice one.

The match round is a 78grbthp, stand combat load is 62gr and non combat is 55gr.
    Does it group at 25yard? do you have a standard stock on it?
    how many rounds down the barrel?
    Is the barrel floating? what condition is the gas tub? Is the crown pitted damaged?
    The DPMS is good firearm it is every bit as good as any others on the market.
    You can make anything better by adding new or improved parts. there is alway the question of is it cost effective to do so?
    Just some food for thought on the whys.
    regards T

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam