Thread: West side of Cook Inlet

Default West side of Cook Inlet

Guys help me plan a trip to the west side of cook inlet. we would take the boat across from Homer around July 19th. I have heard some of the rivers have great salmon fishing that time of year. Also i have heard about the rip current in the middle of the inlet. any of you have any knowledge of them? thanks for all your help!

The Kustatan has a phenominal silver run...around the end of July / beginning of August. Since it's a remote (fly-in only) fishery, most of the folks fishing it are 'day fisherman.' Hardly any crowds at all.

I've fished several west side tribs, including Silver Salmon Creek and Shelter Creek (directly across from Ninilchick). But that was in mid August. There were plenty of coho, chum, and pinks. I'm not sure what you might find in mid to late July. Likely some pinks and chums, but probably not many coho.

Most west side tribs are small, so they don't support many Chinook salmon, with some notable exceptions (Chuitna).

But you will find plenty of bears........

I guess i should have mentioned that i am looking mainly for silvers.

Default silvers

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    I guess i should have mentioned that i am looking mainly for silvers.
    If you are looking for Silvers in Cook inlet, August is a much better month. Mid to Late August. However, you will find lots of Halibut on the west side. Shelter creek and Silver Salmon have good runs.

Talking Message

kgpcr I sent you a PM

Talking PM

I sent again - hope it went this time

Default shelter creek, sliver, or kustatan

qkayak,
    Which would you go to again? I have some family coming about Aug 8 & figured I would do one flyout trip with them. Thinking one of these might be the best.

Default Silvers

Quote Originally Posted by AKMarmot View Post
    qkayak,
    Which would you go to again? I have some family coming about Aug 8 & figured I would do one flyout trip with them. Thinking one of these might be the best.

As we mentioned earlier, first week of Aug. can sometimes show very little fish in all the rivers you listed. A one day fly out on Shelter Creek is not possible. I am not aware of anyone that will land on that creek. I stayed in Chinitna Bay and boated over everyday. The bears density on that creek is incredible (and big ones too). I believe Silver Salmon Creek lodge has a remote camp on Shelter Creek. I've flown to Silver Salmon Creek a few times and have caught lots of Silvers when they were in, again lots of big bears. Again, it can be tough in early August, but possible. Your best bet may very well be the Kustatan. It's also the closest and gets the most traffic. If you are set on a fly out the best thing to do is contact the soldotna air charters and they can tell you the latest scoop. e.g. Natron Air, Radiske Air.
    Makes me wonder though, if you really wanted to just catch Silvers. Seward is nothing less than spectacular out of a six pack.

A one day trip to Shelter Creek is possible. Natron Air flys over there. I use them every year. Just call ahead of time and talk to Tim about the tides.

Cheers