Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 257Wby - 100gr GS - Shooter and Hot Rod

Default 257Wby - 100gr GS - Shooter and Hot Rod

Well, I have found the 100gr GS load. Great velocity, no pressures, great group. Using IMR7828, Fed 215 primers (CCI had to big of 1 1/2 group lower velocities) Weatherby brass, OAL 3.201" group size .164"

Average fps

Group

Close up of group

Group size .164"

THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Hot 257 WB

BT, nice job on the group, makes me want to get into the Weatherby mode. What are you planning to shoot with this or is this your target gun. How big of an animal do you think, caribou, sheep, or bigger? Thanks, Mark

Quote Originally Posted by markopolo50 View Post
    BT, nice job on the group, makes me want to get into the Weatherby mode. What are you planning to shoot with this or is this your target gun. How big of an animal do you think, caribou, sheep, or bigger? Thanks, Mark
    I have killed two white tail bucks so far and this is my hunting load. I use the rifle for hunting not targets. Good for a lot of hunting applications.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default 257 wb

Beartooth, thanks for the information. This round sounds great for deer, antelope, caribou. A little light for elk and bigger I think, although the foot pounds for that bullet at that speed must be high. Looking at Wb web site right now, also see Remington chambers for that also. Nice looking target, Mark

Default beartooth ???

Since you are not affraid to drop the dough for a nice Weatherby I thought you may be able to chime in on the 240, I currently use a 223 for varmits and target but have been desiring to spend money on unneeded wants and have been looking at the 240 Weatherby as an option. Remarks from anyone with knowledge on these would be appreciated.
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

Default Thanks

BT, thanks for the info, will try it in my 257 Wby Mark 5.

Great job BT, that is an great load! Which GS's are you using and what's their BC?

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Great job BT, that is an great load! Which GS's are you using and what's their BC?
    100gr GS HV Moly BC .430
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by Lowe & Slow View Post
    Since you are not affraid to drop the dough for a nice Weatherby I thought you may be able to chime in on the 240, I currently use a 223 for varmits and target but have been desiring to spend money on unneeded wants and have been looking at the 240 Weatherby as an option. Remarks from anyone with knowledge on these would be appreciated.
    240Wby is for sure an awesome cartridge and it will reach out and nail those varmints.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Beautiful groups, as usual...

Have you done anything to the stock rifle? Do you have an Accubrake? Have you seen any difference with variance of the OAL?
    I'm shooting the 115gr Ballistic Silvertips and 120gr Partitions, same powder, primer, brass and OAL (if I recall correctly). I am getting 2.2-2.6" groups at 300yds with the BT. Haven't hooked up the Chrony as its kinda cold around here right now, but I'm at max + 0.5gr. It might tighten up the group to use a real benchrest. I just haven't done so yet as I'm not going to have a lead sled in the field.

Out of curiosity why go for the Grand Slam as opposed to a Partition or the A-frame? Cost, accuracy, availability or "just wanted to"? Be certain to give the after action reports when you are successful in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by IceKing02 View Post
    I am getting 2.2-2.6" groups at 300yds with the BT.
    Consistent 2.2 to 2.6 inch groups at 300 yards from a 257 Weatherby to me means two things – 1st, you’re a very experienced and capable rifleman able to read both wind and mirage very well and 2nd, you have a well set up, match grade rifle. Consistently shooting .164 inch groups at 100 yards isn’t the norm and for most, a group that size comes along every now and then, except if you’re one hell of a shot and possess a match grade rifle with match grade component ammo – then it comes along a little more often and the rifleman is normally shooting competitively when possible. Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by IceKing02 View Post
    Have you done anything to the stock rifle? Do you have an Accubrake? Have you seen any difference with variance of the OAL?
    I'm shooting the 115gr Ballistic Silvertips and 120gr Partitions, same powder, primer, brass and OAL (if I recall correctly). I am getting 2.2-2.6" groups at 300yds with the BT. Haven't hooked up the Chrony as its kinda cold around here right now, but I'm at max + 0.5gr. It might tighten up the group to use a real benchrest. I just haven't done so yet as I'm not going to have a lead sled in the field.

Out of curiosity why go for the Grand Slam as opposed to a Partition or the A-frame? Cost, accuracy, availability or "just wanted to"? Be certain to give the after action reports when you are successful in the field.
    I have done nothing to this Accumark, it is just as Weatherby builds them. I do not have an Accubrake. Yes, OAL makes a difference, when at 3.210 or 3.209" the pressure was up and groups not as tight as when my OAL is 3.200-3.201"

The GS is not a Grand Slam. The GS HV is a custom bullet made in South Africa. Availability is good, in fact I order them from a place in Alaska and get them with in 3-4 days from time of order. When hunting with my friend Jerry last week I was using the TSX and he was using the GS and the GS blood shot less meat and the wound channel was very impressive.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

To put this GS HV 100gr bullet in perspective having a BC of .457 at 3717fps the following tells the story.

Energy:
    Muzzle 3065
    100yds 2675
    200yds 2330
    300yds 2025
    (over 2,000 ft pounds of energy out to 300yds for a 100gr bullet!!!!)
    400yds 1754
    500yds 1514
    600yds 1301
    (a 100gr bullet having enough energy to kill a deer at 600yds!!!!)

Velocity retained at 600yds - 2421fps

Zero is - 330

Point Blank is 425yds

Hold on top shoulder at 450yds and good out to 550yds.

Two months from now I have scheduled a shooting time on a government shooting range at a research lab and will be doing 500yd group tests with this bullet. Should be fun and interesting.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Two months from now I have scheduled a shooting time on a government shooting range at a research lab and will be doing 500yd group tests with this bullet. Should be fun and interesting.

That's very cool BT. Will be very interested in your results. have you looked at the HP bullets. The site said that they are being redesigned and they look like they might be ballistically better than the HV's?

That's very cool BT. Will be very interested in your results. have you looked at the HP bullets. The site said that they are being redesigned and they look like they might be ballistically better than the HV's?
    Yes, I did notice them and even if they do have a better BC, the HV is the bullet to use for hunting.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Yes, I did notice them and even if they do have a better BC, the HV is the bullet to use for hunting.
    They a pic of 6 HP bullets expanded, 3 form a target and 3 from game. It looked and sounded like they were promoting them sa hunting bullets and their performance sure looked good. Am I missing something?

They a pic of 6 HP bullets expanded, 3 form a target and 3 from game. It looked and sounded like they were promoting them sa hunting bullets and their performance sure looked good. Am I missing something?
    The HP does not have driving bands. They can not be pushed as fast as the HV. They have a greater bearing surface and act like conventional monolithic bullets. They create more pressure than the HV and shoot along the lines of the Barnes X bullet but do have a better BC than the X bullet.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Thanks for clearing that up. It looks like the HV's have a .308 177 with a BC of .638. That looks very tempting. Better than the E-Tip 180 BC of .523.

Will be waiting to see how these shoot for you. Have fun, i'm sure you will

Thanks for clearing that up. It looks like the HV's have a .308 177 with a BC of .638. That looks very tempting. Better than the E-Tip 180 BC of .523.

Will be waiting to see how these shoot for you. Have fun, i'm sure you will
    Know doubt about it
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Beartooth I know you are getting excellent results with the IMR 7828 but have tried any other powders with this bullet yet...RL 22 for instance or maybe some Ramshot Magnum..just curious.

Keep up the good work though I enjoy reading about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast