Thread: Ruger LCR: AN EVOLUTIONARY REVOLVER DESIGN

Default Ruger LCR: AN EVOLUTIONARY REVOLVER DESIGN

Has anyone seen the new Ruger? I think I'm going to have to get one.

SOUTHPORT, CONNECTICUT, January 15, 2009 - Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. (NYSE: RGR) is pleased to announce the new Ruger Lightweight Compact Revolver (LCR), an evolution in revolver design. The 13.5 ounce, small frame, 5-shot LCR has three main components: a polymer fire control housing, an aircraft quality aluminum monolithic frame, and an extensively fluted stainless steel cylinder. The Ruger LCR represents one of the most significant new revolver designs in over a century, with three patent applications pending.

The LCRs lightweight, chemical-resistant polymer fire control housing contains the entire fire control mechanism. Because the fire control components are located within this single housing, their dimensional relationship can be held much more closely than if divided between traditional grip frames and cylinder frames. The end result is that the fire control components are assembled with no hand fitting, resulting in a highly consistent product at an affordable price.

Should be available 3/1/09 in .38 Special.
    Last edited by kingfisherktn; 04-29-2010 at 07:50.

Have you seen any prices on the new LCR? I see it also has the option of the Crimson Trace grip. That is one light revolver. Will have to handle one ASAP. Mark

I would wait for the recall bugs to get worked out before buying one.

Quote Originally Posted by markopolo50 View Post
    Have you seen any prices on the new LCR? I see it also has the option of the Crimson Trace grip. That is one light revolver. Will have to handle one ASAP. Mark
    Yes I did, but who pays MSRP?

Default other than price?

Other than price is there any reason to buy one of the LCRs instead of a titanium S&W 300 series? Don't misunderstand me - price is very important.

The S&W appear to be more compact and I think they are ligher weight according to the model. At present the S&W are also avalaible in magnum calibers; it will be interesting to see if Ruger can make a cast? aluminum frame frame strong enough to handle magnum calibers. If I recall S&W has a patent on the forge scanillium alloy frame for pistol frames.

I wish I could have made it to the shot show this year - we will see what other new goodies show up!

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Has anyone seen the new Ruger? I think I'm going to have to get one.

SOUTHPORT, CONNECTICUT, January 15, 2009 - Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. (NYSE: RGR) is pleased to announce the new Ruger Lightweight Compact Revolver (LCR), an evolution in revolver design. The 13.5 ounce, small frame, 5-shot LCR resulting in a highly consistent product at an affordable price.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

So basically this is Ruger's take on S&W's 442 series. Currently you can get a 442 for around $420-$450 so I am guessing that they will sell for around that price or less if they want to compete with S&W.

Default for my money

The Ruger should be more corrosion resistant that the 442 if that is an issue- the 442 has a carbon steel cylinder.

For my money - if I can afford it - I'll go with one of the 300 series S&W guns - titanium cylinder in .357 for about the same weight and more compact.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtpig67 View Post
    So basically this is Ruger's take on S&W's 442 series. Currently you can get a 442 for around $420-$450 so I am guessing that they will sell for around that price or less if they want to compete with S&W.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I looked at one and wasnt impressed

More Tupperware, just what the world needed

The LCR has an MSRP of $525 or $792 with Crimson Trace laser. This makes it a no sale for me unless very deeply discounted.

gary

Default Too little, too late

S&W has the ultralight weight revolver market pretty well sewed up right now. The Taurus titanium guns have a terrible reputation and this new Ruger quite frankly looks like a P.O.S. Like their centerfire semi-auto pistols I don't think Ruger can the get the lightweight pistol thing quite right.

Yea, I know the Ruger fans will accuse me of being intolerant, insensitive,
    prejudice, biased, and old fashioned in wanting to stick with the conventitional marriage of wood and metal but that is just the way I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    I looked at one and wasnt impressed

My daily carry is a 642 CT. It's the Airweight 5 shot .38 +P in Stainless and with the Crimson Trace Laser Grips that give you the third finger on the grip. I can't figure out how ruger could improve on this design. Especially for more money. I paid 640 for mine, retail.

Another plastic gun...give me steel, wood and leather...

It makes some sense to me, and I think it stands a chance. People criticized polymer automatics when they first came out and now they're the norm. I read a review on Gunblast, and they say the trigger is pretty slick. I like that the front sight is replaceable.

One obvious benefit of the new Ruger over S&W's: no lock!
    Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.

Default LCM

Looks like it took Ruger 50 years to catch up makeing modern compact revolvers. No need to reinvent the wheel just, copy it.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

We will have to wait and see how it all turns out. Ruger copied to make their little 380 auto and had a recall as soon as it hit the public.There years in waiting Gold Label SxS was made for maybe a week before production ended.The Mini 14 in 308 and Bearcat in 22mag after years of waiting never made it out the door really.The stuff Ruger gets right is very very good but the failures you have to wonder what the research folks were really doing all those years.Sence Bills passing there have been alot more misses than hits. The Ruger Alaskan is a fine gun and I love the one I have but the front sight is 180 off of what anyone would pick for a quick first shot defence gun.To my thinking they build a perfect gun then forgot about getting the bullet to the target and the saddest part is they have the proper sights on some of their other guns. We shall see