Thread: When do the fish come?

Default When do the fish come?

OK...first off, I have fished a little all my life. But I have never planned a trip. I just go out when time allows ( which hasn't always been a lot). And I end up fishing and catching whatever is in the water at that time. But this year I am going to plan out a whole summer of fishing in the PWS and Seward ares. Can someone please give me a calender of events so to speak as to when the different species show up? I really would like to catch a Red this season and maybe a King or two. Thanks. dirt.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default PWS

i dont know first hand but ive heard that lake bay has chums come around memorial weekend. the peak of reds in main bay is around the fourth of july and silvers towards the end of july beginning of august in the sound. kings can be caught all year out there if you know where to go.

Default check charter websites

A large percentage of the charter websites have fish charts showing what is in and when peak season is....so does the Alaska Department of Fish and Game....I would start there.

Thumbs up Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    A large percentage of the charter websites have fish charts showing what is in and when peak season is....so does the Alaska Department of Fish and Game....I would start there.
    This is great information. Here is the link to the run timing chart at ADF&G (link).

I am not tuned into PWS or Seward, but if you are looking for Kenai area information, I can help.

Seward is a great spot to explore. You certainly could spend your whole trip there and not see/do all that Seward has to offer. Take your time planning, explore as many references as possible, and don't be afraid to drive a bit to see more of what Alaska has to offer.

Cheers

Go to the forum store, then the fishing section. Tons of great books. Some of my favorites are below. They will answer all your questions and then some.

Alaska Fishing by Rene Limerres and Gunnar Pederson (great general book about all species in Alaska. Has flyfishing and spin fishing info)

Topwater, Flyfishing Alaska by Troy Letherman (each chapter is about a species. Very detailed info and great pics)

Flyfisher's Guide to Alaska by Scott Haugen (tons of info/maps, tells you where to go and how to get there. This book has an 80 page chapter on the Kenai Penninsula alone)
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.