Thread: Alaska Hiking trip

North Carolina

Default Alaska Hiking trip

We are planning a week long hiking trip in Alaska this summer.

This question is posed alot and I don't have to run out and buy any new guns to take... Should one carry both a rifle and a sidearm for protection or just one or the other and a can of spray?

I know this will open up a can of worms; any real life experiance?

Rapid City South Dakota

I would say a sidearm no smaller than a .44. Your going to want to minimize weight so there is no reason to carry both.

All depends where you are going. I have spend more time unarmed in the Alaska wilds than I have armed.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    All depends where you are going. I have spend more time unarmed in the Alaska wilds than I have armed.
    Same here.

No need for both in my book, though. Just a lot of extra weight and bulk. If I'm seriously worried about bears I carry a long gun. But every single blessed stinking time I've had bear troubles, it seems like I've laid the long gun down and moved away from it because it was in the way. Handgun is a clear advantage for weight and bulk, plus you'll have it with you if you need it. Trouble is, few people shoot heavy handguns well enough for them to be much more than image and confidence builders. Certainly not bear "protection." If you don't shoot a big handgun well and are seriously worried about bears, bring a good long gun.

Paradise (Alaska)

Default Just hike

Just go out and hike. Your safer hiking anywhere than you are while either driving to work or returning from a Russian River fishing trip.

Your going to meet a lot more agressive unleashed dogs than bears on all the trails. Carry that handgun and you will spend a bunch of bucks in court defending yourself, proving that you felt threatened by that agressive dog before you defused a potentially explosive situation by discharging your firearm.

....just my opinion, after hiking many hundreds of hours and many, many hundreds of miles on the Anch hillside trails...

Unless you already own firearms and practice a lot with them, just bring your eyes, ears, and common sense. Oh, if you're still a little leery, bring one buddy who's a slower runner than you.

Depends where you go; locals or the dept. of fish & game can tell you what the local animals are like. I grew up in the Southeast, and the only trouble I came across were a pack of wild dogs in the distance, some armed & drunk teenagers, and mice that ate my cookies. I only saw a bear once, and that was from a boat through binoculars. Pepper spray is probably enough in your case.

If you do eventually decide to hike armed, a handgun in .44 or larger, or a lightweight rifle in at least .306 would make most people feel safe. A gun you're not hunting with tends to be a drag to carry, so it might as well be light.
    Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.