Thread: Denali Hwy Wolves?

Default Denali Hwy Wolves?

Hey there guys. My question is about wolves on the Denali Hwy. Any luck? General area? Decent numbers? I know nobody wants to give out secret spots but any direction would be a good direction. We were thinking around the Mclaren River or so. Any ideas? Thanks for the help. And good luck to yourselves also.

Default Wolves on the Denali Highway

I, for one, would appreciate anyone going out there and taking out some wolves around my place between the Susitna and the Maclaren. There are tons of tracks. I haven't been able to take the time to hunt them, but they are there. There are a lot of trails going south from there that you can ride down into the Clearwater valley. If you know that county, right at Mile 60 there's a trail that heads down into the valley, from the back side of the gravel pit. Goes back several miles, and gets into some nice timber in the bottom, which is where I suspect there will be a lot of them hanging out. I'm hoping to get down in there soon, but if you get em thinned out before I get there it sure won't hurt my feelings!

Good Luck!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Thanks for the info denalihunter. that was the area we are looking at. how places are there to stay at out there? looking for two nights in feb.
    Thanks again.

Default Can do

We can do that. I'll send you a pm.

Reminds me that Al Lee would stop in for coffee back in the 70's with his flying antenna contraption (PA-18-150). Tracking wolves.

They collared about 25 wolves. Tracked them for a year. Then captured them and relocated them to Farewell/McGrath area. 24 hours later all but two were back in the upper Susitna River country.

So after a lot of debate, They shot them all from a Jet Ranger, they were refueling the Jet Ranger from 55 Gal. drums right by the back door to the Susitna Lodge, there was a spark, and the New'ish rented Jet Ranger and about 16 dead wolves got cooked. Total Accelerated Depreciation.

Default wow!

That is amazing that those wolves would come right back that quick. What is that, about 150 to 200 miles?? I'd sure like to hear that story in more detail!

It gets more interesting, as the next spring in fresh snow they found five moose killed by one Brown/Grizzly. It was clear because of the 6" of fresh snow and only one set of tracks who the outlaw was. Mind you this was in the mid 70's, so they learned that you could not relocate wolves. The one other wolf came back 5 days later, And the last one never returned. The story was the leased jet ranger cost $550,000.- so that ended the wolf project. And now they realized that the Brown Fuzzy's were at least as big of a problem as the wolves.

The whole program was run out of the Glennallen Office, It would be interesting to read the final report.

Default trapping

Is anybody trapping the area???

Default trapping

I haven't seen anyone trapping up there yet, but I just picked up a pile of traps and am planning on it! Tons of critters! I just got home from there tonight. Dropped off the lodge managers! Finally, we are open!