Thread: Delta Junction/Salcha area trail questions

Default Delta Junction/Salcha area trail questions

Hi folks,

I am heading down toward Delta this weekend with the hopes of getting across the Tanana/Delta river and running back into zone 5B/4 of unit 20 in pursuit of moose. I have heard there is a trail across from Birch lake that I may be able to access and another one that is at Dry Creek which goes back to Koole Lake. Can anyone elaborate on these trails, where do I park, is the river safe etc? Are there pretty well established trails out this way? Could an intrepid young man run down the little Delta (just an idea)? I am not unfamiliar with AK but this is my first season on a sled and I am going this one alone. Thanks all!

Default maybe too adventurous?

Small, hey good questions.. i'm interested in the answers you get as we are picking our machines up this weekend... and i've been thinking about doing the same.. I dont know about going it alone though.. If I were to do that i'de have a beacon or a sat phone on you just in case man.. you can never tell what will go wrong.. play it safe brother, so you can hunt another day.

I was down that way about 2 weeks ago and there was still some pretty good open water. With that said we all know if has been cold as all get out so it may be frozen by now. I agree with Dave about going it alone. It's going to be a long cold walk back if something happens to your sled that you can't fix out there. I have been riding for a few years now and I still will not go out alone. Good Luck!

Cool Yeah

Yeah I have thought the same thing. I actually invited a fellow from work to go. It may just turn out to be a scouting trip for later on in early Feb. I talked to ADF&G yesterday and they said the river was safe to cross at Birch and Koole lake. They also noted that a few folks have passed down at Dry Creek. There were something like 42 moose shot out at zone 5B and 7 at zone 4. Thanks for the safety concerns folks. I don't like to take chances...

Angry Okay this is retarded

I think this weather might really deter me from trying to jump the river. I'm going to go check it out but I don't think I will go until later in the month or maybe into Feb...this weather is ridiculous...maybe I should break out with the motorcycle and go get some early season riding down to Anchorage!!! The thermometer at my house said "44" this morning, above zero!!! What the #$@@#$%! is goin' on!?

Default pix

Break out your bike and i will take pictures for you and post them here....my harley is staying in the garage....still plenty slick out.

Default Alright

I'll get the studded tires out and maybe a T-shirt, I should be good...