Thread: Kimber concealed?

Default Kimber concealed?

For those of you that carry Kimbers (as I've read), I'm curious about their comfort. I realize if you carry a Kimber you must love it, but I'm wondering how you keep it from poking you in the ribs or kidney. I really like the feel of the one's I've handled at the local gun shop. They feel very comfortable, and I like the balance. I just haven't shot one yet.

The reason for my question and search is I'm looking for a lighter, shorter, and slimmer concealed carry than my Beretta, and I'm intrigued by the lighter and well made .45 Kimber models.

Thanks for your comments!

I pack a full size Kimber in a Blackhawk holster and it is not what I would call comfortable...I will probably go to a pancake holster next...

would you be looking at a 3, 4 or 5" 1911? the 3" kimbers conceal pretty well. i have a 5" with a belt blackhawk serpa holster, and yes it is cumbersome for me, but i am not used to carrying all the time. i have a 3" springfield emp 9 mm and in a pancake holster, fits well.

I was leaning pretty strongly towards a 4" in .45, but what was concerning me more about the comfort wasn't the barrel length as much as how the grip safety protrudes sharply to the rear. I can imagine how that could very easily become uncomfortable if it jabs a person in the side, but since I haven't carried one, I wanted to hear from those of you with practical experience.

I like to carry strong side, forward cant, to the rear of being directly on my side.

Thanks

Default For me

I carry an Ultracarry II in stainless. This is the 3" barrel, stainless slide and alloy frame. It's about 27 oz.s. I carry in a Galco Fletch holster which I keep in the rear kidney position. I have really gotten used to it and don't really notice it so much. Nothing really poking me but in certain chairs it lets you know it is there. good luck!

I don't have a Kimber, but I do have a pair of Dan Wesson 1911s in .45 and 10mm. They have more or less the same features as the Kimber, and concealment is not a problem, even in hot weather. The extended grip safety does not ever poke me in the ribs and the slim profile make it comfortable to wear daily.

I use a galco royal guard horsehide inside the waistband holster and it is very comfortable. Something about a 1911 demands leather!

The grip safty dosen't come into play and I carry forward cant R/H kidney...I may switch to pancake just to get it a little higher and closer...

Thank you all for your responses! I appreciate your real experience.

Mike