Thread: Interesting

Default Interesting

Although I think it is a stretch to call it evolution, I wonder if these type of findings will make our game management professionals re-think some regulations? I'm sure there are studies contradicting this, but it's interesting food for thought. Is it just anti-hunting rehtoric or is it truly science?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,479823,00.html

I hope it's OK to post a link to a story?
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Default stretch

I think calling that story a "stretch" is a stretch in itself! Wow is all i can say! anti hunting???? do ya think!! not trying to be a smartass but holy smokes if that isnt anti hunting i dont know what is! Are they talking body size or antler or horn size?? just plain anti hunting BS, i hope our F/G dont think that way. If what they are saying is true beaver should be the size of mice, as they have been trapped here in Canada for over 300 years!

Default Ewe

Blackfoot, if you'd quit shooting all them ewe's, it would mess them up so fast..... heh heh!

But seriously... that is an alarming story. Wonder how 'science' like that is going to affect us.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

We've known about the effects of selective harvest for some time now. In fisheries especially. Look at what has happened with the "giant" Kenai king salmon over not to long a span and how few really big fish are left these days.

Not saying the article is spot on in every regard, but certainly selective harvest can play a role in reducing size. And biologists already are aware of this and try to manage so this doesn't happen, or continue to happen.

It's not rocket science really; if anglers and hunters only were to go after the largest of any species and there were no regs to compensate for that or prevent it, you'd end up with smaller moose out there and smaller salmon and a likely change in genetics being passed. This is the reason we have antler restrictions and slot-limits for fish.

One interesting thing that happens with intensively managed populations like moose on Tanana Flats too is that over time you will get a smaller bodied animal. A research biologist explained to me how that is happening, when we create really high densities of animals near carrying capacity.

All in all, interesting article, though not really anything new there. Slanted too for sure in that it doesn't explain that biologists and managers are aware of this and try to compensate for it.

does explain all the 3 brown tined moose...reglardless of width....?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default antler/slots

Not sure about AK but here antler restriction is to improve trophy quality, and slot limits for fish (at least freshwater) are to protect the spawners, has nothing to do with genetics. I can understand if hunters harvest to many large antlered moose, moose ANTLER size will decrease but body size?? I would really doubt that. If that were true then I would wonder why in some very heavily hunted areas why we are still seeing huge animials (body size and antler/horn size)taken every year, if you doubt this go to Boone Crocket website and see some that were taken this year. Mark doesnt it stand to reason that if hunters are harvesting the larger animials (horn and body size) that would leave more young (smaller body size)?? Maybe im just getting old but those moose quarters seem heavier not lighter!! That story reminded me of the news program I saw this winter, a global warming extremeist was standing in antartica he was telling the world the ice was melting under his feet, funny part was it was -45 degrees!

Default 4 brow tine / 50" limit

If this is true: If we keep harvesting our four brow tines.. we may cull that gene out... We had brought this up at the DJF&G AC meetings before but the state biologist told us that we had nothing to worrky about.....

i've seen a pile of 2 brown tine moose in unit 13(back a while)....move out to a four 4 brow area and i see lots of 3 brow tine moose....seems to be a pattern.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    I think calling that story a "stretch" is a stretch in itself! Wow is all i can say! anti hunting???? do ya think!! not trying to be a smartass but holy smokes if that isnt anti hunting i dont know what is! Are they talking body size or antler or horn size?? just plain anti hunting BS, i hope our F/G dont think that way. If what they are saying is true beaver should be the size of mice, as they have been trapped here in Canada for over 300 years!
    I know it's anti-hunting. The question was whether it was JUST anti-hunting rhetoric or if there is some solid science behind it. We can't battle the anti hunters with our own unsubstantiated rhetoric.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    Blackfoot, if you'd quit shooting all them ewe's, it would mess them up so fast..... heh heh!

But seriously... that is an alarming story. Wonder how 'science' like that is going to affect us.
    Just doin' my part:-) This year I'm going after a 40" ewe in the Brooks!!!