Thread: 338-06 vs 35 Whelen.. opinions

Default 338-06 vs 35 Whelen.. opinions

My brother from the valley will not get off his tuff and post the question here, so I am doing it for him.

I am sure this has been done before, but let us beat the pros and cons of the two against each other again.

Personally, while I think the 338-06 is a great cartridge, I think that buying a commercial rifle in 35 Whelen and then handloading might be a far less expensive way to go.

Does anyone have a way to make an affordable 338-06?

Is there really any difference in the cartridge's performance within 300-350 yards?

I have always wondered why the 338-06 never became a commerical round. They spent time making the 338 federal which basically duplicates the 8mm Mauser.. go figure...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Actually the 338-06 is a commercial round and is SAAMI accepted. It is called the 338-06 A-Square, the company that submitted it to SAAMI. Weatherby is the only company I know of that ever chambered a factory rifle for the caliber.

Honestly, any difference in field performance will be undetectable from the shooter or animals perspective. The are minor differences that may appeal more to one individual than an other. The 35 will handle bullets heavier than 250 grains more easily but the 338 will achieve greater velocity and with the 225 grains will be a flatter shooter. With like bullet weight velocities will be very close and the 338 will have the edge in trajectory and sectional density. I have long loved the 338-06 and consider it the only improvement on the '06 case. I am quite partial to the 338 and it's many bullets. I am certain it can be used anywhere the Whelen works and will equal its field performance.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I suppose the 339-06 would have much less of an issue with shoulder headspace.

A guy can buy a M77MKII Stainless Ruger in 35 Whelen for around $575, I wonder if you could have a good 338-06 biult in that price range?
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    I suppose the 338-06 would have much less of an issue with shoulder headspace.

A guy can buy a M77MKII Stainless Ruger in 35 Whelen for around $575, I wonder if you could have a good 338-06 biult in that price range?
    If you had a good action in 30-06 you could easily have rebarrelled for that money. The only headspace problem with the Whelen is crappy made factory ammo. Once fired in your gun and handloaded correctly, no problem.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Right now I'am still trying to make up my mind(what little I have left) weather to just keep my 30/06 or convert it to a 338/06. Still at the do I want to just get a new bbl. or have mine reamed. I have a 03-A3 MK1 that still has the mil. bbl, and the bbl has been stepped down a little. Guess one of these days will have to call my gun smith and see which way is best to go. Had a custom 338/06 some years ago made by a guy named Ballenger (out of chico ca-but he's passed on). It was to nice to drag out through the woods. Have about 700 /06 cases I can convert. Checked on new brass and at $42.00 per 20, dont think I'll be buying many.

Gun Runner