Thread: situk river trip

Default situk river trip

So this year I am planing the hit the Situk river for some steelhead fishing. around may 10th. now being a college student I don't have the money to stay at a lodge or hotel I know there are camping spots out by the river and was wondering if anyone knew if there were services in yakutat that would drive me out (I think there is a taxi service but not sure) and if so what would be the cost?

Yea the taxi cost $150 each way but you might be able to hitch a ride from the fly shop there. Shoot Bob (I think its Bob) an email the website is www.situk.net
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I can't remember the name of the person that rents vehicles in Yakutat, but you could contact the Yakutat Lodge at 907-784-3232 and they would be able to tell you his number...got to be cheaper than a cab.

Quote Originally Posted by kjashen View Post
    I can't remember the name of the person that rents vehicles in Yakutat, but you could contact the Yakutat Lodge at 907-784-3232 and they would be able to tell you his number...got to be cheaper than a cab.
    it was $80 a day I think, plus gas in 2007

Situk Leasing rents vehicles. Price per day with tax is now over 100 bucks plus gas. Situk Leasing is affiliated with the Yakutat Lodge, so a call there will get you connected.

The great thing about Yakutat Lodge is that it is located 30 steps from the airport exit door. The people there are quite friendly and are usually happy to help. I would suggest that you call and make reservations now as the Situk gets a pretty fair amount of pressure in the time you are looking at going. Yakutat is a very small town so the vehicles that they lease in that town go fast.

Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

There is a lady who drives a green mini van and charges $60 each way. I got find her # again. will post when I find it.

Leo's vehicles and Situk Leasing (the big rental yard associated with the Yakutat Lodge) both rent vehicles. You'll be thankful to have a car. Being able to access the upper and lower end is nice depending on where the fresh and most of the fish are. I'm not too sure on the prices but thinking about 150/ day plus gas. Gas is 4.99/ gal now... it's come down from 5.79 last season. Who knows what the weather will be; not having cell phone service, a car is nice to be on your own schedule. God forbid you might run out of beer! I'm here to help... not much else going on in the YAK

Default question for you captk

how is the snow level looking right now in Yakutat captk? More than normal or is it about an average year to date? Any rumors about when the crew might or will get started opening the road out to the Situk or it is to early to be even thinking about when that might happen? Thanks in advance for any info or comments on this topic.

We have alot of snow, March is usually the snowiest month of the year. We have to pull together as a community/ lodge owners and write letters to the state to have those roads plowed early. Last year they were cleared by the end of March. We haven't heard what the plan is for this year. Maybe this BIG economic stimulus package will spur them on to "create" snow removal jobs; for us red blooded, gun toters to get out fishing on time. More info to come as it develops! Feel free to PM me for reminders of conditions.

Good news bad news I guess. The road is snowed in so little to no effort is taking place on the Situk from mid Dec - late March. Guess it gives the river and fish a chance to recharge but I cannot help wondering if by keeping the road open that maybe a few folks would come to Yakutat to experience it during a quiet time of year thus helping the economy in that area. Anyway, thanks captk and yes I will take you up on the offer of a update here in a few weeks.

when I visited the situk about 5 years ago, i rented a suburban from some place right next to the airport for $60 a day... I'm sure it's more expensive now. If I were going back, I'd do it the same way again without a doubt. The Back of the suburban was a perfect place to sleep out of the weather (don't need a tent) and being mobile has its advantages. I was able to run into town for something to eat/drink/etc if needed, drive in to enjoy some night life once the sun went down, and access either the tidal area or the bridge whenever I wanted. Mostly I stayed around the bridge and just left my truck there, so I think I only burned about 1 tank of gas all week. It'll cost you a few bucks, but it's definitely worth it if you can swing it.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

thanks my one problem with renting a vehicle is that I'm 22 and most companies won't rent to someone under 25 (I know that Yakutat renters probally don't care as much) I just kind of need a back up plan if I couldn't rent one (I don't think I will at $150 a day) anyway got my plane ticket(15,00 miles) and I get in on the 9th and leave the 13th so if your there and see a guy with a back pack with a sign that says 9 mile bridge that will be me.

may or april?

may school gets out may 9th and I leave the next day I figure if it comes down to it I'll run into Ron and he'll drive me around

have fun man, I'd offer to show up and split taxi costs but I'll be on Afognak island