Thread: Going camping at Knik next week.

Elmendorf AFB

Default Going camping at Knik next week.

I was wondering what all you would recommend I take? Mainly what type of clothing? I know cotton kills so no cotton. I plan on layering of course but all I have is military issue stuff. I figure long underwear, loose pants over that and my snow pants. For the top a t shirt long sleeved fleece my gortex fleece and parka. Pair of regular socks and pair of wool socks. I won't be using a tent instead making a tarp shelter. I'll be going with someone who knows a lot more than me but want other opinions too. Thanks for reading.

Looking at the current weather report, you might want to bring along some rain gear.

Eagle River, AK

are you camping from your car or hiking/atv'ing in?

a waterproof layer

a couple of insulating layers depending on how cold it is

a baselayer

leave all cotton at home

depending on how windy it is where you are and how cold it is, a face layer, like a balaclava

a good winter hat

good gloves and some handwarmers if they aren't good gloves

a sleeping bag that is rated for at least 15, if not less. a sleeping pad of some sort for insulation.

have fun!

is your military issued gortex the woodland bdu or abu jacket? the gortex pants have seams that are taped on the inside, as does the coat, i think. but that stuff leaks pretty well in my experience with it. so if it is warm and rainy, be careful.
    Last edited by hre814; 01-14-2009 at 04:18. Reason: extra info

Searching for more cowbell!

Take an avy shovel and dig a snow cave. They are a lot of fun to experiment with.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery