Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Rain Gear

Question Best Rain Gear

Looking to buy rain gear for my float hunt in the end of Sept. Just wondering what everybody recommends.

Default What I use

HH Impertech (sp?) Light weight, totally rainproof. Cheap. I use it on POW and anywhere in Alaska I hunt for myself or guide. Used it on Kodiak, but it never rained. Weird.

Anyway for a float maybe an Impertch coat and waders? Just a thought, never done a float hunt but I wear waders whenever I use a boat to hunt.

Good luck,

GOoch

Hard to go wrong with HellyHanson gear.

Default rain gear

At the end of september I would recomend Rivers West. It is 100% water proof and will keep you warm as well.

Unhappy

I would strongly recommend against the use of Rivers West any place where you'll get a lot of rain. It is not 100% water proof. I went through 2 sets and would never buy another one of their products.

Besides leaking, they become very heavy with water and will not dry out easily.

You might try a search on AOD and you'll find a lot of info on good and bad rain gear.
    Last edited by kingfisherktn; 01-13-2009 at 11:54. Reason: added info

Default Rain gear

Another vote for Helly Hansen Impertech. It is whisper quiet, light weight, and 100% waterproof. For float hunts, the style of rain gear depends on what you do for footwear. If you're wearing hip boots, go with the parka-length jacket; it covers the tops of your boots and you don't need rain pants. If you're going with breathable chest waders, which more float hunters are, all you need is the short wading jacket.

You might also pick up a pair of rain pants or bibs (depending on jacket length) for those days when you're hunting up above the river without your waders.

My biggest issues with the other brand mentioned so far (RW) is that they are much heavier, and they don't breathe like they claim. Yes, they are fine for sitting around, but if you work up a sweat they take forever to dry. I used it on one hunt last fall and we didn't have much rain, so it never got the waterproof test. It has been my experience though, that "breathable" rain gear eventually leaks.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default check out "worst gear" thread

rivers west---lots of mention as the worst gear

Waterproof and breathable is an oxymoron, IMO.

+1 on the HH Imp.

Lightbulb raingear

The HH Impertech was super when it was produced in the long, knee length version. It was great when combined with hip boots. The current jacket is good only when worn with the Impertech bottom pants or bibs.

Although light and breathable, they will snag when blasting through the alder brush, and do not put them away wet for prolonged periods of time. When left wet for a month, they disintegrate. Opps...

Rivers West raingear works fine in a New Mexico or Wyoming rain fall. In an Alaskan Peninsula hurricane rain storm the rain blows through it, and the jacket feels like it weighs fifty pounds. After a couple of days with normal 30 MPH winds, that jacket will dry out. It does work just fine in the rain if you wear HH Impertech over it.

Hey, why does a rain gear thread get moved from the hunting forum and then lost in the gear forum, but a trekking pole thread remains in the hunting forum?

Dennis
    AK TAGS

Default Rain Gear...

Impertech has worked fairly well for me, not very durable though. Just about a 1.5 seasons per set. Marmot Precip has done much better, 3 seasons on both jacket and pants but its time for the pants to be replaced. The Marmot is louder though if your a bowhunter but shouldn't be a problem rifle hunting. Plus I really like the full lenght zippers on the pants. I'll be buying the Precip until something better comes along.
    BTW.........I tried the Rivers West as well, wearing a wet sponge is the best description I can give.

JF

TNF Venture rain jacket and full zip pants. It's like Marmot Precip. 6 one, half dozen the other. Water proof drys very quick and is light. Pretty tuff too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenaimike View Post
    Waterproof and breathable is an oxymoron, IMO.

+1 on the HH Imp.
    yup. ditto on that. It's only "breathable" when its dry or drying out. Not when it's getting rained on.

Default Impertech- popular #1 choice for most applications...

HH Impertech = Impermeable to rain, affordable and quiet on the stalk.
    The material also cleans up easily if it gets spattered with blood etc. Many on this forum agree it's a great choice for float hunts in AK.

Other considerations? With more time for research and experience in the field, some might prefer other gear for specific characteristics: lighter weight, for example (Marmot Precip raingear) or maybe a little better breathability (SitkaGear Nimbus). I guess it depends on your other performance requirements.

Barney's Sports Chalet carries top quality gear and in addition to HH Impertech, carries Kool Dri products (http://www.kooldrirainwear.com/). I looked at the Kool Dri at the Gr Ak Sprtsmns Shw last year. The sheep hunter I was talking to liked KD because it's lighter weight - but for me it was noisier (and spendy too). It did appear to be impermeable, which this sheep hunter confirmed. It might be a great choice for some applications and if you have time, the $70 you'd spend for Impertech makes a good down payment with reasonable monthly payments before sheep season.

Good luck with your hunt.

Default Raingear

I have used lots of different raingear over the past 20 years. I used Kookdri and it was very light and tough as nails. Good for a lot of hunts but in a downpour we were wet.

Next I tried the military gortex jackets. These had many good features like pitzips, large pockets, and very durable. The bad things were it was noisy and after a few years the heavy rain would soak through.

Then I tried Cabelas MTD 050 gortex. It is quiet, durable and worked on lots of trips. After going to Kodiak and getting rained on everyday I was wet.

I finally listened to those who swear by Helly Hanson Impertec. I have used it for the past year and it has kept me dry in several downpours and extended rainy trips. The HH is probably the least expensive of all the raingear I have used.

Default Kool Dri question...

Akhuntinfool -
    Interesting to hear of your experience with Kookdri.
    When you said that in a downpour you were wet, where did the Kool Dri garments fail? Was it the material leaking, or maybe seams?
    Also wonder if it leaked when new, or maybe had been machine washed before? Appreciate your input about this gear line. It looked to be real sturdy to me at the time. Thanks and best of luck in the coming season.

The HH impertech is my armor. I put it on anytime I am on the ATV as it is absolutely waterproof. I have hunted in extended downpours and remained dry. You will stay dry with the impertech. I like the fact that it stretches and is pretty durable. This past years caribou hunt I just put the HH on over my standard clothes and it was awesome treking throught the brush. Totally dry and it held up well. Can't say enough about it. I used some goretex during moose thinking it might be an option. I had to crack out the HH impertech after getting soggy.

Default Kookdri vs Kooldri

6XLeech - My fingers don't always type what they are supposed to. The Kool Dri appears to soak through the fabric when exposed to heavy sustained rain. My brother also experienced the same thing with his Kool Dri jacket. We both still have the pants. Both of our jackets eventually peeled almost like a sunburn on the inside of the jacket and were thrown away. I am sure putting them in the washing machine was not the best thing for them. We used this raingear on several sheep hunts where it worked okay since it didn't rain really hard. It is certainly lightweight, dries quickly, and cuts the wind but I would not recommend if it rains hard or rains for extended periods of time.

Default Mad Dog

Bought myself and my son Mag Dog Camo Coats and Pants at Sportsmans, sat in a tree stand or several days on PWS Black Bear hunting, worked great, didn't leak, kept us warm and dried out quickly. I know it's not the high dollar stuff but it worked great and I have used mine several times since. Best bang for your buck, pants and coat ran around $125 total.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." John Wayne

Default eventually peeled almost like a sunburn...

Coated nylon.

Thinking back, KD does a good job on their product, but with either time or washing, coated nylon will fail. Thanks.

no one on the Nimbus sitka gear?? looking at trying it out once....

on a side note HH impertec fixes super good with aqua seal and will dry over night in your tent if you blow a hole, back it with duct tape and aqua seal the outside, works and last. cheap fix.
    my rain gear ain't alive, i don't want it "breathing"...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast