Thread: Fishfinder/Gps Combo or 2 seperate units for riverboat

Default Fishfinder/Gps Combo or 2 seperate units for riverboat

I'm looking for some opinions here for electronics for my Sportjon. As the title says, I'm debating whether to buy a fishfinder/gps combo or a less expensive fishfinder and upgrade my current gps that I use for hunting, hiking, etc. Obviously I can't carry my fishfinder around in the woods with me. 95% of my fishing will be done in rivers and lakes. I might make a trip to Valdez for silvers but I'm not going to be tackling any open ocean. Any recommendations on a unit would be welcome. There are so many to choose from it's hard to even begin to decide.

Default GPS/ Depth combo

I put a Humminbird 797c2 combo unit in my Sport Jon and like it thus far. although with all the options its a little cumbersome learning it. also the screen size is large enough to view while standing. I mostly got a combo to take up less room on what dash there is. I'm still learning the GPS although once I get it understood I'm sure it will fit my needs.

Its a river boat so I really only use the depth finder in a lake, although is neet to read the river depth / changes in the bottom. I am trying to learn more shallow areas letting me get more GPH on the river though.
    (hope this help some)

Default GPS

AH, the world of ever changing electronics. I bought a Garmin 400C last year for a riverboat and I like it, it has been relatively ez to use, Color was important to me and it does not have a GPS.
    I have a Rino 130 GPS for that function. I have only used it in Homer as I have been concered w/ ripping it off on the rivers.
    With all that being said there are other things you might want to consider, if you are willing to spend more you can get a NEMA 2000 compatible unit, this will allow connectivity for GPS and fuel guage (plenty of other stuff to) to show on your depthfinder screen. Maybe you already have Mercurys smartcraft gauge and dont need that info. A friend of mine recently bought a lowrance LF200 w fuel sensor unit for a older SJ, it will read GPH, fuel tank gauge, along with some other functions.
    To my limited knowledge any brand w/ NEMA 2000 should be able to connect and communicate so not just limited to Lowrance.
    It may be something you are not interested in and it could be something you want to use in the future.

I don't have the fuel flow sensor, but have been looking at those too. It would be nice to have all your info in one spot. I looked and the hummingbird 797 on line and it seems like a good unit and has gotten pretty good reviews. I'll keep checking back and thanks for the advice.

Default fishfinder

Quote Originally Posted by fishin_ak View Post
    I'm looking for some opinions here for electronics for my Sportjon. As the title says, I'm debating whether to buy a fishfinder/gps combo or a less expensive fishfinder and upgrade my current gps that I use for hunting, hiking, etc. Obviously I can't carry my fishfinder around in the woods with me. 95% of my fishing will be done in rivers and lakes. I might make a trip to Valdez for silvers but I'm not going to be tackling any open ocean. Any recommendations on a unit would be welcome. There are so many to choose from it's hard to even begin to decide.
    If you decide to go with separate units consider the Vexilar FL-12 flasher and Alumaducer for your fishfinder. I've run several brands on the rivers and what suits me best is a unit that tells me what is under the flasher RIGHT NOW and a transducer that won't get torn off when I'm in real skinny water. The Alumaducer glues to the inside bottom of my aluminum hull and shoots through the hull with no detectable signal loss. If you are in the North Pole area pm me. I'll be happy to show it to you.

Default GPS SD Card

Just wondering:

My Humminbird 797c2 came with a place for an SD card letting me install maps. The recomended navtronics is only costal Alaska not rivers. does anyone now where I could find a SD card with AK rivers?

I think you are out of luck on that one. I know of no manufacture that has detailed maps of what you are asking for. I have checked Navionics to hot maps and it has not been developed yet for the hummingbird that I am aware of. If someone knows otherwise, I am all ears.

I can call my Navionics rep and see if there is plans for future releases for the Hummingbird if you would like....

Mark

Default Nanionics

Quote Originally Posted by Adjusted3 View Post
    I think you are out of luck on that one. I know of no manufacture that has detailed maps of what you are asking for. I have checked Navionics to hot maps and it has not been developed yet for the hummingbird that I am aware of. If someone knows otherwise, I am all ears.

I can call my Navionics rep and see if there is plans for future releases for the Hummingbird if you would like....

Mark
    Mark,

I've already contacted them, although should you have a better / direct source I say go for it. They did say that they hope tos ome day, but that I think was a nice way of saying good bye and getting me off the phone.

I was hoping that knowing it has a SD card input one would be able to down load infromation onto a SD card and wa-la, but it's never that easy I guess.
    Thanks for your time, Jeff

I looked at the 797 on line and that was the thought I had about all of the higher end models with loadable maps. It doesn't seem like you're going to find anything good for the interior. I think I'm going to stick with my original plan of a lees expensive fish finder only unit and upgrade my GPS to something like the Colorado or 60CSX with topo maps. I've seen the maps on a buddies and they are pretty impressive. I have a FL-18 for ice fishing godevil but never really considered the thru hull option. Was a little skeptical about how it well it would work.

Quote Originally Posted by AK LIVIN View Post
    Mark,

I've already contacted them, although should you have a better / direct source I say go for it. They did say that they hope tos ome day, but that I think was a nice way of saying good bye and getting me off the phone.

I was hoping that knowing it has a SD card input one would be able to down load infromation onto a SD card and wa-la, but it's never that easy I guess.
    Thanks for your time, Jeff
    exactly, I called them on your behalf, Got the same story, maybe in the future but nothing right now

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by fishin_ak View Post
    I have a FL-18 for ice fishing godevil but never really considered the thru hull option. Was a little skeptical about how it well it would work.
    I used the FL-8 in my boat for years and loved it. The Fl-12 is even better because it is brighter, doesn't need the hood and it can be seen from the side. I'm sure the FL-18 will work just as well. I just didn't need all the whistles and bells. The through-the-hull Alumaducer is the way to go if there is any chance of hitting the transducer on anything. I don't know how deep it will work, but I've read to 50 feet in the Yukon. It sure has taught me a lot about reading a river.

I'm sure the vexilar is awesome for reading the water depth right under the boat which is indeed valuable info but I also want something with a little broader picture for fishing. The sonar is great for looking straight down a hole in the ice but for fishing open water I think I'll go with something with a wider view. At this rate I won't be able to see where I'm going through the mess of electronics. On that note what I did with my handheld GPS last year was used velcro. I used the stick on stuff and put the loop side on the GPS and the hook side on the dash to the left of the steering wheel. Easy to see and when I needed it for hunting or whatever it comes right off and goes in the pocket.
    " There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot" - Steven Wright