Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: need 45-70 powder what u use?

  1. #1
    Member atvalaska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    camp-go-4-beer fbks
    Posts
    630

    Default need 45-70 powder what u use?

    never loaded for it yet, want to try. have loaded for 3006/ 44mag for years.....
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

  2. #2
    Member Alangaq's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!
    Posts
    1,232

    Default

    Lots of choices for 45/70. I use Reloader #7
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

  3. #3
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    4,431

    Default

    RL-7 and H322 for 350 to 400 grains and like H4895 for the cast 400 to 500 grain stuff. What kind of rifle do you have, I can give you specific loads.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?



  4. #4
    Member pinehavensredrocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    wisconsin
    Posts
    759

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    RL-7 and H322 for 350 to 400 grains and like H4895 for the cast 400 to 500 grain stuff. What kind of rifle do you have, I can give you specific loads.

    hi murphy; my favorite is imr 4198, it's a high density-low bulk powder that generates velocity and power without over stuffing the case.

    in my 45-70's loaded with 350-400gr gas check bullets this combination has worked well. try it!

    happy trails.
    jh

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    41

    Default

    IMR 3031 with a gas checked .405 grain lead cast with a hardness of 25bhn.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pinehavensredrocket View Post
    hi murphy; my favorite is imr 4198, it's a high density-low bulk powder that generates velocity and power without over stuffing the case.

    in my 45-70's loaded with 350-400gr gas check bullets this combination has worked well. try it!

    happy trails.
    jh
    I'm with Murphy on RL-7 and H-322 for jacketed bullets. But I've always used IMR-3031 for full power cast bullets and Unique for reduced loads. When I really want to have fun, I use Goex 2F with cast bullets. But that's a whole nuther topic.

  7. #7
    Member atvalaska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    camp-go-4-beer fbks
    Posts
    630

    Default browning 1885 hw

    2175 w 325 gr leverrelution amo now ........325gr jacketed bullets 28in barrel
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

  8. #8
    Member Float Pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kachemak Bay Alaska
    Posts
    4,218

    Default

    Loads I have tried with the 405 grain Remington bulk box bullet. Jacketed soft point. in both a Browning Model 86 carbine and a Marlin Guide Gun.

    Brass RP
    Primer CCI-200
    COL 2.545
    Lee Crimp
    Powder: 50.0 grains IMR 3031
    Velocity: 1652 fps from Marlin Guide Gun 1.0 inch group at 100 yards.


    Brass RP
    Primer CCI-200
    COL 2.645
    Lee Crimp
    Powder: 44.0 grains RL-7
    Velocity: 1,772 fps from Browning M-86 1.0 inch group at 100 yards.

    Brass RP
    Primer CCI-250 mag
    COL 2.645
    Lee Crimp
    Powder: 54.0 grains IMR 4064
    Velocity: 1,768 fps from Browning M-86 1.5 inch group at 100 yards.

    Brass RP
    Primer CCI-250 mag
    COL 2.645
    Lee Crimp
    Powder: 38.0 grains IMR 4198
    Velocity: 1,685 fps from Browning M-86 3.5 inch group at 100 yards.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

  9. #9
    Member pinehavensredrocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    wisconsin
    Posts
    759

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Loads I have tried with the 405 grain Remington bulk box bullet. Jacketed soft point. in both a Browning Model 86 carbine and a Marlin Guide Gun.

    Brass RP
    Primer CCI-200
    COL 2.545
    Lee Crimp
    Powder: 50.0 grains IMR 3031
    Velocity: 1652 fps from Marlin Guide Gun 1.0 inch group at 100 yards.


    Brass RP
    Primer CCI-200
    COL 2.645
    Lee Crimp
    Powder: 44.0 grains RL-7
    Velocity: 1,772 fps from Browning M-86 1.0 inch group at 100 yards.

    Brass RP
    Primer CCI-250 mag
    COL 2.645
    Lee Crimp
    Powder: 54.0 grains IMR 4064
    Velocity: 1,768 fps from Browning M-86 1.5 inch group at 100 yards.

    Brass RP
    Primer CCI-250 mag
    COL 2.645
    Lee Crimp
    Powder: 38.0 grains IMR 4198
    Velocity: 1,685 fps from Browning M-86 3.5 inch group at 100 yards.

    hi, and thanks for the load information. i am always looking for improvement and will try your recipe. are these "top loads" or less than that? have you tried them with hard cast gas check bullets( my favorite)?
    while on load development there were issues with high bulk powder pooching out my brass before i could reach good crono numbers...... any issues here?

    thanks.
    jh

  10. #10

    Default

    I've had good results with IMR 4198, IMR 3031, and V-133.

  11. #11
    Member Float Pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kachemak Bay Alaska
    Posts
    4,218

    Default

    JH,
    Those loads are about 80 to 90%. I was looking for something that was still comfortable to shoot but with more whammy than a factory load.
    WW brass seems to have more room inside.

    I have a box of 500 cast lead bullets but have not tried them yet.
    Too many calibers, too little time.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

  12. #12
    Member pinehavensredrocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    wisconsin
    Posts
    759

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    JH,
    Those loads are about 80 to 90%. I was looking for something that was still comfortable to shoot but with more whammy than a factory load.
    WW brass seems to have more room inside.

    I have a box of 500 cast lead bullets but have not tried them yet.
    Too many calibers, too little time.

    i showed a couple of my favorite 45-70's (86 win & 95 marlin) on another thread. they both group well with heavy hunting loads. the marlin is really good.

    i have used 405' jacketed on deer, but have used the hard cast on elk. thanks for your input!
    jh

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Kenai
    Posts
    1,888

    Default

    Hey Float Pilot, have you used the 405 Remingtons on big critters? I like the price on them & am starting to play with a guide gun in 450 Marlin. Had an Encore pistol barel in 450 that I loaded with those bullets for black bear (never got to try them) & have quite a few left. I assume they would be a bit fragile for brownies? How about moose?
    Vance in AK.

    Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

  14. #14
    Member Float Pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kachemak Bay Alaska
    Posts
    4,218

    Default

    Worked OK on moose.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

  15. #15

    Default H322

    For about 19 years I have been loading for the 1895 Marlin in 45-70. A long time ago I setteled on 54 grains of H322 with 400 to 405 grain jacketed bullets. I like the way it fills up the case.

  16. #16
    Member HCL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Mat-Sue
    Posts
    267

    Default

    I used IMR-4198, H322 for years but switched to Benchmark. Really good powder for up here, you will not get the pressure swings from summer to winter, Benchmark is tempreture insensitive. Min book load with the RCBS 405gr bullet will give you aprox 1950fps from a 1895GG, plenty for anything on this side of the earth. Very full case, by looking you would think it is a compressed load. Very accurate powder, if I remember correctly it was developed for benchrest shooters. Meters better than 4198.
    Mike

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •