Thread: Kodiak Bullets

Default Kodiak Bullets

Does anybody know where to buy 405 or 350 grain kodiak bullets in .458 for my 45-70....bought some allready loaded from wwg but would like to build my own loads

Default Boondocks

Noticed some yesterday but do not remember the price.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Akjaq View Post
    Does anybody know where to buy 405 or 350 grain kodiak bullets in .458 for my 45-70....bought some allready loaded from wwg but would like to build my own loads

You can buy them directly from Alaska Bullet Works. 907-789-3834.

They make 350, 400, 450 and 500 grains in the 458". You can get the first three in flat point for the lever guns.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Kodiaks

Thanks!!! I'm going to give them a call. Now if I could only find powder and primers......This present state seems reminisant of the Janet Reno days

Quote Originally Posted by Akjaq View Post
    Thanks!!! I'm going to give them a call. Now if I could only find powder and primers......This present state seems reminisant of the Janet Reno days
    I talked in depth with a couple of sporting good stores about the shortage, and it has nothing to do with politics according to them. There are three factors at work:

There's basically one company (AKT?) that's distributing most brands of primers and powders---- both to the military and the public. A run on supplies last year by the militiary resulted in low inventories, and panic buying after the election depleated those. With continuing demand from the military, inventories for the public have been slow to rebuild. As a result, small rifle primers have been in short supply for the last 18 months or so--- long before the election. Same for some powders.

Sporting good stores everywhere weren't prepared for the panic buying. They don't usually sell much in the way of components in November and December, and they let their stocks run down in anticipation of taking year end inventories for tax purposes. It takes time to get the stuff once you order, too.

Sportsman's Warehouse is in the process of selling out to a Canadian company. They have been selling off current inventories to put money in the pockets of the present owners. They're also not ordering much, in order to let the new Canadian owners do their own buying. Whatever the wage earners behind their gun counters say, decisions and actions beyond their control at the corporate level preparing for the sale are dictating orders of reloading components and a lot more.