Thread: Tanning hides.

Default Tanning hides.

Do you guys tan hides your self and if so whats your method.

Default soap tan and acid tan

Smaller thinner hides like marten I soap tan with any old regular dish soap, make a solution of dish soap in water, soak overnight (hide must be fleshed) and then take out next morn and work it while it dries.

Thicker hides I use few ounces of battery acid in a water/salt solution, usually leave in for three days or so, same process after you take out but you have to neutralize the acid with baking soda.

All the major work is in the elbow grease working them dry and soft.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Smaller thinner hides like marten I soap tan with any old regular dish soap, make a solution of dish soap in water, soak overnight (hide must be fleshed) and then take out next morn and work it while it dries.
    Can you explain this one to me. This is a new one and would love to learn more. What agent tans the hide? How much soap to water?

Thanks, Dean

I would also like to know the proportions for the acid tanning, will it do an adequate job on beaver pelts? What kind of end results, does the softness depend on the amount of time you put into working it, good enough for making hats etc..

I use Krowtan, it is a fairly cheap agent you can get from Van Dykes taxedermy supply. It is real easy to use and leaves the hides in a much easier state to break. Hides will have be white when they are all done. It is a 2 day soak, quick neutralize with baking soda. I have done deer and bear hides with this stuff and it works real good. On beaver, they are a real greasy critter so you will have to degrease good 1st though.

Default Tanning recipes

Guys, I don't have the tanning recipes handy. For the acid tan I use five gallon plastic bucket (you have to use ceramic or plastic, never metal) with three gallons of water, saturated with salt (don't recall exact amount, couple pounds), and three ounces of battery acid. I could be off a bit on the actual recipe, would have to go dig it up.

Soap tanning I just usually do in a little rubbermaid tub, sink sized, just squirt in some dish soap to half-gallon or so of water and soak marten or mink hides. It's like the old fels-naptha soap tanning is how it works, and the emulsifying agents in the dish soap cut the grease real good too.

I'm sure taxidermy.net and other places have a whole bunch of recipes too.

thanks, that is a new one on me a great piece of information to have. We will be trying it soon.

Thanks Mark

Can you soap tan rabbit hides?

I soap tanned some marten a few months back (same method as Bushrat but I used a bar soap) and it worked well have been sewing with it and it seems to be good. I think rabbits would be fine. Anything thin skinned.