Thread: Redington RS4?

Default Redington RS4?

Hey all,
    I'm a novice fly-fisherman looking for my first salmon/steelhead set-up. The Redington RS4 9wt has caught my eye, and they're on sale! Anyone have experience with this rod? Or any other suggestions? My price range is under $200, and I'm hoping to make my first trip to Yak. this spring for steelhead.
    Thanks!

Jay

I have the 10 wgt. in that rod and pretty much just use it for saltwater. Mainly rockfish. I have used it for kings though and it worked well. I have heard reports of them breaking. Are you set on the 9wgt. for Steelies? Why not a 7 or 8?

Default Kings

I was thinking that I could fish also fish Kings with a 9wt. I was originally thinking 8wt. but my fishing friends who watch me horse-around all the time recomended a 9wt for versatility, and durability. I also don't have a back-up for this spring, so I don't want to break my only rod while in in Yakutat. You've got me thinking though, thanks for the response.

Jay

A back up rod is always a great idea. Also remember that most all (if not all) rod manufacturers will make you an extra tip section for a fee. Depending on the rod, could be $50-150 for an extra tip section. I have done this for a few rods and like the peace of mind it offers.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default back up rod

You are planning to go down to the Situk, and only bring one rod? I would strongly recommend bringing at least one back up. It would really suck to fall and break your only rod on the first day, or to break it on your first fish. I think an 8wt would be a better choice for steelies, as well as silvers, chums, and reds.

Jake

Hey Jay,
    I would go with the 8wt rod. The Situk is a fairly narrow river (except at the mouth) with lots of log jams, slippery rocks, and probably snow on the ground. Definately take a back up. There is a new flyfishing store located at the airport old hangar. The owners are great people and do have high end gear for sale. Here is a link to rod reviews under $200, the rod weights are lighter 5/6 wt, but it will give you the right brand/model and then you can check out right weight - price should be the same or close. http://www.flyrodreel.com/Fly-Rod-an...d-Backup-Rods/ Good luck, take a camera, and rain gear. Mad Dog

Thanks to everyone for the input. Now I just have to convince the better-half that I need another rod! I've fished in the valley with a loaner-8wt for silvers and reds, and with my own 6wt on the willow for rainbows for the last two years. I've lived here my whole life, and never fly fished until these last two years, what a waste! Two years ago I caught my first silver on an 8wt and fell in love, now my spinning-rods are collecting dust, and all I think about is fly-fishing. I find myself air-casting at work, am I nuts?

Jay

Talking

So Jay, ever caught anything while air casting at work? Before you talk your better half to buy another rod, you better first work on talking her into you ticket to YAK. We'll all have back up rods in YAK so you will be covered if something happens to your new rod. Besides, first things first. Get the ticket, and then buy a new rod right before we leave. She will have forgotten about the rod you bought in January by then.

I was going to just crawl in your suitcase anyway! She'll cave, if not then I guess I'll swim! She'll just say, "Whatever, go stand in the freezing water and try to catch those slimy things, I'll be nice and warm here at home!" She'll have that look in her eye, you know the one, the one that says, "you're gonna pay sucker!" There will be a long honey-do list that I'm sure will have to be completed before AND after said trip.

I catch HUGE imaginary trout, and the occasional odd stare..... What do you catch at work?
    Last edited by jay51; 01-16-2009 at 11:39. Reason: spelling

Yeah and sometimes its easier to say sorry later than to ask for permission now!

Well Jay51, I know for a fact you weigh more than 50lbs, so you can pay the extra luggage fare if you are in my duffel bag. That, and I'll make sure to throw it around a lot like the rampers do. You'll be asleep for the flight for sure.

Boy! I've seen that look before too! It can be scary! I often don't come home for weeks at a time so I don't have to see 'the look'.

What do I catch at work? I catch a lot of flack because I'm gone fishing most of the time! I save the HUGE trout for when I'm on the river, and mine aren't imaginary!

Quote Originally Posted by jay51 View Post

Now I just have to convince the better-half that I need another rod!

I find myself air-casting at work, am I nuts?

Jay
    For convincing the wife, easy. Just let her see you looking online at $400-600 fly rods. Make comments about how nice they are and all. Get her talking about it just a bit. Get her nervous and concerned. Then pick out a $200-250 rod and tell her that you felt guilty spending so much money on yourself so you instead decided on a cheaper rod. Tell her you want to take her out for a nice dinner with some of the savings

For the air casting, yes, you are a bit nuts.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Thanks again guys!
    You can blame akfshklr for getting me into this mess and adding another fly-fisherman to the streams, its ALL his fault!

Default TFO

Have you looked into the Temple Fork rods? They have a couple lines of rods that are less than 200 dollars, and have a lifetime no fault warranty. I have a few of their rods, and I am more than happy with them all. They are not made in America, but in that price range, I think they are far superior to the rods that are made here is the USA. You would think that this would encourage some of the American makers to make a rod that competes with these entry level priced rods, but no one has stepped up that I have seen.

Jake

Your best bet, at 40% off... Sage FLi 890-4

While still an import, the FLi is superior to the rs4 in terms of fit, finish, taper, and feel.

G Smolt,

That deal is hard to beat! Thanks for the expertise!

I'm going to have to go wave around some rods tonight.