Thread: Early hunt planning, Sept '09 Moose

Talking Early hunt planning, Sept '09 Moose

Another question springs to mind. My father is coming up to AK for what will likely be his only hunting trip up here for the rest of his life. I really want to make it an amazing experience for him. Here is my dilemma. I don't have ATV's for he and I. Does anyone know of somewhere in or near interior AK that I can rent a pair from? I do have access to a pretty killer jet boat. But I have never ran a boat down the rivers in search of moose so I don't really know where to start. Any advice or help would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Default High or Low Moose Density

I don't know where you live in AK or if you are tolerant of other people but the word is that hunters do well hunting from the Yukon River. It's big and, while I've not hunted it specifically, I suspect the moose density is low. I have floated Birch Creek and the jet boats come up from the Yukon as far as they can - hunting moose.

The Tanana River seems to be in an area that has a higher moose density but, again, I'm not sure of the regulations.

One specific suggestion I have is that you use the services of a hunt planner - Mike Strahan or Larry Bartlett. They are definitely worth the amount they charge.

Thanks, advice taken!