Thread: Upgrading Grizz tires, what about wheels/ clutch kit?

Default Upgrading Grizz tires, what about wheels/ clutch kit?

On my 08 Grizz 700, do I need to get different wheels if I upgrade from the factory 25x9x12 Front/ 25x10x12 Rear tires to 26x10x12 Front/ 26x12x12 Rear Mudlites?

Do I need a clutch kit?

What size tires would you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by zeb View Post
    On my 08 Grizz 700, do I need to get different wheels if I upgrade from the factory 25x9x12 Front/ 25x10x12 Rear tires to 26x10x12 Front/ 26x12x12 Rear Mudlites?

Do I need a clutch kit?

What size tires would you recommend?
    Taller tires gear up your quad..a clutch kit will give you the low end punch back that is lost with the install of larger tires.

You should be able to install them on your stock wheels...but going with aftermarket wheels will allow you to get a offset which will make the quad more stable.

I have 27" XTR's on my grizz 700

Quote Originally Posted by Silvertipgrizz View Post
    Taller tires gear up your quad..a clutch kit will give you the low end punch back that is lost with the install of larger tires.

You should be able to install them on your stock wheels...but going with aftermarket wheels will allow you to get a offset which will make the quad more stable.

I have 27" XTR's on my grizz 700
    Whadya do, burn off those 28" outlaws you got from me allready? ..... Still have those 27" from you on the zuki, but they are coming off and the tires are going back to stock, tired of snapping axles and diff's.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDSLDOG View Post
    Whadya do, burn off those 28" outlaws you got from me allready? ..... Still have those 27" from you on the zuki, but they are coming off and the tires are going back to stock, tired of snapping axles and diff's.
    I actually went up to 29.5's for awhile on the 660 until i twisted my rear drive shaft in half. I now have 28" MST's on the 660 and the 27" XTR's on the 700.

How have you been?

Get the aftermarket wheels. The increase offset makes a huge difference in stability. No need for a clutch kit for 26" or 27" tires unless you're a biggin' or pull a trailer.

I have 27" tires, no trailer, and a clutch kit. Do the math.

What's all this about snapping axles and diff's and breaking drive shafts in half with bigger tires???

I really don't need expensive repair bills and I would rather not have to install a clutch kit.

Should I just go with Mudlites that are the same size as the factory tires? Do you really get more traction with the bigger sizes, or is it mostly the tread pattern? The Grizz already has 12 inches of ground clearance, I just want more traction in the mud...

What's all this about snapping axles and diff's and breaking drive shafts in half with bigger tires???

I really don't need expensive repair bills and I would rather not have to install a clutch kit.

Should I just go with Mudlites that are the same size as the factory tires? Do you really get more traction with the bigger sizes, or is it mostly the tread pattern? The Grizz already has 12 inches of ground clearance, I just want more traction in the mud...
    Zeb,

I have a 2007 Grizzly 700. With the Grizzly 700 you can increase tire size to 27" without needing to do a clutch kit. The stock wheel size will work with the 26" mudlites. If you go bigger than 26" tires you need to go with wider wheels. The aftermarket wheel are stronger than the stock ones but are not needed if cost is an issue. If you want more specific Yamaha Grizzly information go here: http://www.grizzlycentral.com/. I have over 2500 trouble free miles on 2 seperate Grizzlys (660 and 700) with 26/10/12 (front) and 26/12/12 (rear) mudlites without a clutch kit on either bike. Look me up on Grizzly Central...name is the same over there.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

Most of what you hear is how it's driven. I run with a guy who has 30" mudlites on his ranger, cam/intake/fuel controller/clutched w/ gorilla shafts and he still snaps shafts.

I run a stock drivetrain Ranger with 27's and have no issues and I drive on the hard side, part of it is know when to not push it.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed