Thread: Building Bows?

Default Building Bows?

Anybody here build bows? I'm thinking about making a laminated fiberglass long bow this winter and maybe an osage longbow or two... Anybody know anywhere to find some plans for a laminated bow, like tapers and materials and stuff? I have the basic idea on how to make a laminated bow but could use some dimensions to start from...

Also anybody finish one of the 3 rivers archery primative bow kits?

Any tips?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I build longbows. Mostly Osage orange longbows. Haven't tackled laminated bows yet as I don't have room for a heat box. Send me a PM and I'll help ya out.

Jeff

Default Try this

Try looking at this web site for some informational reading. Yes you need a heat box and a form for the bows. A bandsaw, belt sander, drill press and a few other tools will be needed as well as a room to laminiate the bow in that you can get dirty.

http://canadianbowhunter.50megs.com/photo6.html

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Have tinkered with it off and on, nothing to serious..to many other projects on the table.

Dave,

I have talked quite a bit with Darrin including getting some plans and info from him on his hybrid longbow. Good guy helluva bow builder!!!

Hmmmm
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Nice stick you got there Rick

Thumbs up Archery Talk

Check out http://www.archerytalk.com/. There is a DIY section that talks about bow building, also there is a pretty good Trad section.

There is a guy in Anchorage that used to build trad bows, his name is Paul. I think he went by the handle "norseman" on Leatherwall, you might try contacting him there.

Nice bow Rick! Kinda off topic but are you still making your packs?

Norseman is Paul Kloster.

There are a bunch of bow bu ilders in anchorage....get on with traditional bowhunters of alaska and ask around....you'll get them.

one of the longbow videos three rivers sells is done by two anchorage guys....Mike Stevens and Mike ? used to work at Mt View.

Thanks, the pic is of a holmegaard inspired raw hide backed hickory bow that is just ready for tillering. Lots of shaping to do yet but so far I think it will be surprisingly fast. I have a longer version in Ipe that I'm also working on. Lots of good info for the cost of a quick google search. One tip, backed bows tend to be more forgiving.

I'll start working on the new pack this summer and be able to show it to folks in plenty of time for the fall hunts, if nothing happens.......which is almost never the case.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I started work on one of these yesterday http://www.geocities.com/salampsio/oak.htm

when I break it tillering it'll only be $20 down the drain

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I started work on one of these yesterday http://www.geocities.com/salampsio/oak.htm

when I break it tillering it'll only be $20 down the drain

Yep, board bows are a cheap way to learn the process. Just need to pick out the right oak, hickory or ash board at Lowes or HD and go to work!

floor tillered my board bow today, it looks pretty good but I think its still too heavy but I'll figure that out when I start string tillering

I made one of those board bows and it came out pretty well. The problem is I built up the riser, and didn't properly prep the wood before epoxying together. Eventually it delaminated and then the bow failed.

My understanding is so long as you never exceed your desired draw weight while tillering you can't mess up the bow. To me the most time consuming part of the red oak bow was sorting through the wood at home depot to find one with decent grain flow. You're likely to only find a couple boards out of the entire stock with decent grain.

At home depo here in JNU there were 4 red oak boards one of them was perfect almost down to one growth ring for the back even

well I almost finished and shot my longbow today, I sand it smoother and put some finish on it then add a striker plate on the arrow rest. It shoots ok, ended up being between 35 and 40 pounds (don't have bow scale just guessing) at 28" and it shoots pretty freaking slow but it shoots and I built it. Now to start work on a laminated bow, I think thats what I really wanna do...

Google Dean Torges. He is in Ohio and widely considered to be the osage stickbow guru. He as a great book on osage selfbows and a video on bamboo backed osage. Very informative stuff.

I've made two selfbows and am currently hunting with a custom laminated longbow. I want to get back to selfbows, though. Good luck.

Abe