Thread: Steese Hwy

Default Steese Hwy

Anyone know anything about a trail on the Steese Hwy between 12 mile and Eagle summit?

scott f.

Default Trail

If you are talking about the Pinnell trail, you can't ride an ATV on it.

Default Trail

I have heard of the pinnel trail and I do understand that it is for hiking.I had heard that there was an ATV trail in that area and was just wondering if that was good information. I would like to do some riding up the Steese if there is an ATV trail system up there.

scott f.

There is a trail at the top of 12 Mile Summit on the right, i have ridden it and took a small caribou bull from there. Also saw the bigges live moose i have ever seen in one of the valleys not to far from there.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info AkHunter45.

scott f

Default steese trails

where does one get a map or info. as to where atv's are allowed in the steese highway area?
    seems like some trails are closed to atv's up there and some not. is it one side of the highway or what?

The Circle Fairbanks Trail starts off of Fish Creek road up at Cleary summit. It comes out at 12 mile summit. It's about 85 miles long. There is also a short trail up at 12 mile summit that goes up over the hill aways. As you head up the Steese there are trails all over the place on your left. I imagine there is a lot more access now because of the fire lines that were cut in a couple years ago. Here is a link to some BLM info:
    http://www.blm.gov/ak/whitemountains/trails.htm

Default thanks

that's what i needed