Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puma 92 carbine

Default Puma 92 carbine

Anyone know about this gun or have one? I'm thinking about buying one in the .44 mag caliber, but want to know what the forum members think of this gun.

Thanks, Maxim

Quote Originally Posted by Maxim View Post
    Anyone know about this gun or have one? I'm thinking about buying one in the .44 mag caliber, but want to know what the forum members think of this gun.

Thanks, Maxim
    I don't own one but know several people that do, and they're all delighted. As I recall, in addition to the 44's one friend has a 454. I'm a rapidfire handgun shooter of long experience, but frankly I'd depend on a Puma before I'd depend on any handgun for bear protection. Better ballistics and easier to shoot fast and well. What's not to like about that? If any caliber is suitable in a hangun, it can only be better in a Puma. I carry a handgun only as a matter of convenience, but I'd rather have a Puma than a hangun any day.

Thanks for the post, Brownbear. My only concern is that it's made in Brazil(I think anyway), and I've heard some bad things about the .454 model as well as the stocks being of inferior quality(cracking). But I think I will buy one tomorrow regardless.

Maxim

I have one in the 454 and I really like it. The first ones out in 454 had some issues with stocks spliting and the mag tube breaking loose from recoil. They have made some mods to prevent this and it seems to be working. I have only fired about 40 or 50 full house loads through mine so far with no issues. Mine is tight and smooth and feeds a variaty of 454 and 45 colt without a hitch. I used it last year to shoot a blacktail at about 75 yds using a 300gr sierra at 1600fps ( light load ). Made a nice 1/2" hole in and out with no wasted meat. I'm now loading a lee 310gr at about 2000fps and really want to try that on something bigger. The only thing I don't like is the safety which I will remove one of these days. I think you will be happy with yours

My son has it in the .44 mag and I have one in .480. We both like our Puma's. I'd buy it again.

Default 454

maxim my son bought the 454 stainless to carry guiding this year, halfway thru the season he had to send it out as it wouldnt cycle. Turned out to be a cleaning issue so it was his fault. I have shot it some and acurracy was just so so, but in all fairness havent tried handloading yet. My son killed a moose with it, he was using 240 grn bullets (factory stuff) very poor performance, with the right load it should equal the 45/70 or close but those loads certainly didnt. They were hornady i think. If anyone has some proven loads please let me know, Im off to the SCI show soon and will pick up some moulds for it so i can cast him some bullets, if anyone has any suggestions??

I'd choose a Marlin 1894 over a Puma 92. I owned both a stainless .454 Puma 92 and a .44 Marlin 1894, I kept the Marlin and sold the Puma to a friend. The Pumas are neat guns, but they're relatively complicated little beasts. To field strip a Marlin you remove 1 screw (the lever pivot screw), take off the lever, and pull the bolt out the back of the receiver, then you can clean the barrel from the breech end. To do this on a Puma involves a handful of tools, plenty of time, and many tiny loose parts. The wood on Marlins is much nicer as well. Last time I checked, prices were quite comparable between the two.
    Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.

I shot one in 45 LC and loved it. My friend owns it and so far no issues since he bought his in October.

Ron

I love them and they are the only 454 lever action I know of. Yes they are a clock works inside like the Winchester they are patterned after but well made. I don't have the 454 yet but do have 3 of them in other chambers, all good guns and very fun.

I am holding out on the 454 with hope they will make a 460 S&W model. It may never happen due to action length, but for now I am wishing. If a 454 came my way I would jump on it in a flash, great gun and great round!

If you want just a 44 then you can find them used in Winchester sometimes and Marlin often as well as Rossi's puma. I would pick the Winchester in that case for the name, but all are good guns.

Andy

I am a big fan of the 1894 marlin and have been using one in 44 mag for years as my primary brush gun. However there is no way that a 1894 marlin could stand up to the pressure that a 454 operates at.

The only faults that come with the Puma are cosmetic. The Brazilian walnut leaves a lot to be desired and that funky little lawyer switch safety device on the top is just ugly.

Interarms imported the 92 when they were made by Rossi. They didn't have the goofy safety and were much more desirable in my opinion. There was a like new one of those for sale on gunbroker just a short while ago for a decent price....it may still be available.

Mine is in .480 Ruger and I like it. I don't think the wood is walnut but some Brazilian hardwood.
    pete

Thanks for all the responses. I just bought mine with the 16in barrel and SS finish for $550 nib. I love the look of the gun and look forward to using it.

Maxim

I think you will really like it. They are more complicated than the Marlin but I have two Win 92s a 1918 and a 1921 version that still function just fine. As far as cleaning, use gunscrubber or brake clean and compressed air to clean the action without disassembly and a quality one piece cleaning rod with muzzel protector and clean the bore from the front. Oh, by the way, more guns are wore out by cleaning than shooting. Even if you clean from the breach, use a rod centering device to keep the rod from wiping out the throat/leade area. Now, go shoot that thing, your gonna like it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxim View Post
    Thanks for all the responses. I just bought mine with the 16in barrel and SS finish for $550 nib. I love the look of the gun and look forward to using it.

Maxim
    So. . . 44, 45, 480, or 454

Appreciate the advice rbuck531. It's the .44 mag version.
    I was wondering what factory loads are effective for hunting black bear and also if it's possible to use Buffalo Bore loads with this model, specifically the 340 gr +p.

Maxim

Default Puma

I had a stainless one and made the mistake of selling it. Loved the gun and can't wait to get another.

The puma will handle pressures of the 454 which is much higher than anything loaded for 44mag.You get that 340 gr anywhere from 1200 /1800 and it will easily poke a hole through a black bear endwise. If your in to casting, lee makes an inexpensive mould that drops a rfn at about 312gr from wheel weights that shoots well for most who have tried it. I could give you some for testing if you want

No, but I appreciate the offer. I just tried to cycle the BB 340 in the gun but it jammed up, probably because the bullet is to long. I think I can fire it single shot, though. I'm just going to have to find some good factory LC.

Maxim

Hey Maxim. I was into the Impact Area yesterday looking for that rifle! You beat me to it! Sorry to hear it won't cycle the BB.

I have been threatening to buy one in 454 for a while now. Legacy Arms sells them and they have a 16" model in stailess that I really would like to have. A perfect truck and trail gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast