Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

Thread: what rifle for sheep hunting

  1. #1

    Default what rifle for sheep hunting

    this might sound crazy but what rifle should i take this august dall sheep hunting? my christensen arms 300rum or my rem 700 ti 270. the rum has taken down goats in the past but is slightly heavier than my ti. is my rum overkill?

  2. #2
    Member B&C 04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    South for Now
    Posts
    436

    Default Sheep/Goat Rifle

    Which one do your feel most confident in??? If you don't mind the weight and that Rum is your baby no reason to leave her behind but if all is equal and weight may take a toll your body you may hold up longer with the lighter rifle. I've hunted goat with a 270 Tikka and loved it.
    A well placed shot will always bring home meat!
    Best of luck on the hunt and if you need a strong back let me know.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baranof06 View Post
    this might sound crazy but what rifle should i take this august dall sheep hunting? my christensen arms 300rum or my rem 700 ti 270. the rum has taken down goats in the past but is slightly heavier than my ti. is my rum overkill?
    The RUM is more than you need, but it sure would be a lot flatter shooting and give you more flexability at longer range, if you're comfortable shooting it. It would also put a hurtin' on a bear just in case.

    168 gr bullet @ 3500 fps - point blank range is 350 yds when zero'd @ 300 yds - 18" drop @ 500 yds - way flat
    180 gr bullet @ 3400 fps
    200 gr bullet @ 3200 fps
    (assuming a 26 inch barrel)

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky
    Posts
    592

    Default Comfortable

    As said above, go with what your comfortable with.

    I harvested my sheep and goat this year with my new tikka .270, w/ federal premium 130 grain btsp.- sheep took one bullet, goat took a couple- from a much greater distance. I was extremely happy with the rifle- not 100% sure on the bullet, although its served its purpose so far.

  5. #5
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    297

    Default

    Baranof-
    I suspect there is close to a 2 pound difference between the two rifles?

    All else being equal, I'd go with the lighter rifle - it'll pay dividends climbing.

    And sheep are not nearly as tough as goats.

    ETA: The .270 is the classic sheep rifle!

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky
    Posts
    592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenaimike View Post

    And sheep are not nearly as tough as goats.
    TRUE THAT!!! Not even in the same league.

  7. #7
    Member AlaskaTrueAdventure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Paradise (Alaska)
    Posts
    1,543

    Thumbs up abuse!

    All other concerns being equal...take the gun that can survive abuse. The rams die easy when properly penetrated by any projectile, bullit, arrow, bolt, patched round-ball, ect. But the country is always tough and usually abusive to our weopons. Sheep country will test your mental toughness, and that will affect the way you handle your gun. So take the gun that you can use as a walking stick. Take the gun that already has 1000 alder brush scars and pack scars. Take the gun with abrasions on the scope from all the falls and slips, and still keeps its point-of-impact. Take the gun that has the rusty spots. Take the gun you can trust to hit at your max reasonable shooting range.

    Dennis
    Alaska True Adventure Guide Service

  8. #8

    Default

    i just picked up the 270 ti but i have doubts of it's accuracy.ii just haven't found the right load or factory ammo yet that shoots like my rum. no question the rum is a tack driver. i'm starting to believe a couple more pounds might be worth the confidence i have in the rum. and i hope goats are much tougher that sheep.

  9. #9
    Member AlaskaTrueAdventure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Paradise (Alaska)
    Posts
    1,543

    Thumbs up rams/billies

    Your heavier gun will be fine. I just never worry about gun weight because I'm always over-loaded anyway. Shoot your super accurate gun.
    A mountain goat billy is usually a tougher critter than a dall sheep ram, but the real problem is not the critters toughness. The real problem is the recovery or the "wreck-overy" of the goat after you shoot their lungs out. Of course rams can be in terrible country also. But goats are like spring loaded to launch themselves off from rough stuff into never-never land, terrible rough stuff, when they get thumpted with that bullit.
    Hunt hard,
    Dennis
    AK TAGS

  10. #10
    Member tboehm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Soldotna AK
    Posts
    2,407

    Default confidence

    that is going to be the most important thing that you can have so if it means lugging the extra weight so be it!!

  11. #11

    Default

    i toted it up and down on baranof island and used as an ice pick once or twice and it's kicken. thanks for the good advise. and your right those goats don't like bullits!! specailly more than one.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baranof06 View Post
    i just picked up the 270 ti but i have doubts of it's accuracy.ii just haven't found the right load or factory ammo yet that shoots like my rum. no question the rum is a tack driver. i'm starting to believe a couple more pounds might be worth the confidence i have in the rum. and i hope goats are much tougher that sheep.
    Sounds like a no-brainer to me. I wouldn't hesitate to take a flat shooting tack driver on a sheep hunt. A couple of pounds shouldn't make a difference, if it does, work out and get in shape. No reason you cant carry that RUM around in the mountains.

    I would also have a good lazer range finder and drop charts with me.

  13. #13
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    297

    Default

    You still have 7 months to wring out the .270!

    Do you have weights for each rifle? curious...

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky
    Posts
    592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    Your heavier gun will be fine. I just never worry about gun weight because I'm always over-loaded anyway. Shoot your super accurate gun.
    A mountain goat billy is usually a tougher critter than a dall sheep ram, but the real problem is not the critters toughness. The real problem is the recovery or the "wreck-overy" of the goat after you shoot their lungs out. Of course rams can be in terrible country also. But goats are like spring loaded to launch themselves off from rough stuff into never-never land, terrible rough stuff, when they get thumpted with that bullit.
    Hunt hard,
    Dennis
    AK TAGS

    My billy this year was hit twice in the lungs...he actually went uphill first- then turned and literally launched off his ledge...I think he looked at me first, looked down and said "F_ _ _ IT!!" and jumped. He broke his skull, but his horns stayed attached and his hide was in great shape- I'll second what ATA says- they're much tougher to bring down and usually in tougher terrain.

    Pack what works- don't let your enjoyment be ruined by bringing a rifle that weighs a bit less but doesn't shoot as well.

  15. #15

    Default Rifle Care

    I usually respect Dennis's opinions when it comes to sheep hunting, but using your rifle as a walking stick seems unecessarily abusive.

    I say keep trying to find a good load for your Ti. We're still a long ways out from the season and I think you'll appreciate having a lighter rig.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fullcurl View Post
    I usually respect Dennis's opinions when it comes to sheep hunting, but using your rifle as a walking stick seems unecessarily abusive.

    I say keep trying to find a good load for your Ti. We're still a long ways out from the season and I think you'll appreciate having a lighter rig.
    Agree 100%, the lighter the better!!

  17. #17
    Member shphtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chugiak
    Posts
    1,376

    Default

    Which rifle? There are arguments for either rifle. I have a Ti Rem 700 in '06. It took some work to find an accurate load - finally settled on 168 gr TSX and Varget. One option not mentioned is to make the UM lighter - relatively easy to drop 2 - 3 lbs, but will not be cheap and you will acquire an increase in recoil. You need to make your choice and then dig out the ole wallet as appropriate. Good luck. One word of advice for sheep hunting: "lighter" is almost always the right choice.

  18. #18

    Default

    300 rum 9.25 and the 270 7.75 LBS

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    41

    Default Lighter vs. heavier

    I would take the 270. spend the time between now and then getting it ready. but then again I carry an extra two pounds of pistol for bear just in case. It also makes secondary trips easier for retrieval and I can leave the rifle at camp. so if you feel comfortable with the RUM 2 lbs is not gonna make that much of a differance if you are in shape. Everyone tells me Im crazy for carrying the pistol cause of weight until the one time your rifle is with your pack and you walk off to take a leak and that sheep/bear jumps u! happened to me and I was glad for the pistol. As for your question.....RUM..i think or maybe the 270 or....hmmmmm....both???? hahaha

  20. #20

    Default

    1 1/2 lbs vs performance, accuracy and range, not a hard choice for me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •