Thread: gear

Default gear

I am getting to move up to Alaska in the near future and would like to start getting my ducks in a row.

Where is the best place to buy outdoor gear?
    sporting goods?
    traps?
    clothing?
    building material?
    and anything else one might think of that would be helpful.

Thanks, Dean

Depends on where your moving to. AK is huge!

Fair enough We are looking are relocating to Tok. I figured that most of our hard supplied would come from Fairbanks. It was also figured that we would make the trip up there at least 3 or 4 times a year for supplies.

We will be bringing up 2 trucks and a trailers with us with our house hold and tooling. I really do not want to bring up too much that I can easily purchase up there. I also do not want to waste money on items out of ignorance.

not too much in Tok you may want to bring your TOOLS with you and other things. Tok of all places can get EXPENSIVE.

I would say get your winter clothing in Alaska when you know what others use in that part of the State. Bunny boots will be a must and you may find them off Ebay for a good price before your move. If you will be in the woods add some kind of a sawmill to your tools, like an Alaskan mill for a big chain saw or a little band mill if you will be building a bunch. Tok is COLD and has very little work a little better starting point may be Glenallen, but it depends what you are looking for as to work and life stile. So can ya expand on what you are looking for?

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    I would say get your winter clothing in Alaska when you know what others use in that part of the State. Bunny boots will be a must and you may find them off Ebay for a good price before your move. If you will be in the woods add some kind of a sawmill to your tools, like an Alaskan mill for a big chain saw or a little band mill if you will be building a bunch. Tok is COLD and has very little work a little better starting point may be Glenallen, but it depends what you are looking for as to work and life stile. So can ya expand on what you are looking for?

Andy
    I actually own Washington Pro Saws and will be bringing that with me. We are 98% internet based already and that will not change. I have the mills aready and I also have a milling machine and lathe. I also have my forge, painting equipment, welders, band saws and all my carpentry tools from working as a carpenter.

I am covered in that area. What I would like to know is where every one buys thier traps and snares. Thier fishing gear as I am sure like every place else it is going to be some what regional. What about sporting gear such as guns and ammo. How about food processing equipment.

Should I buy most of that down here? I own much of that now but maybe it will be inadequate for life up there I do not know yet.

I deffinately want to wait on clothing until I get up there and see what every one else is using.

I am hoping to start getting a list of places to do my shopping up there.

BTW; I plan on bringing a steam engine that runs a generator head.

Yes it sounds like your good to go on tools. I have only been through Tok and am not one who knows it very well. I do know they have one of the best eating spots in the State called Fast Eddy's, a small hotel, gas stations, and a small well stocked but high priced grocery store. Thatís what was there last time I was any way. I don't know if there is a place to get gun, traps, and what not in Tok but I would think it likely so but at a premium price.

It's about 200 miles to Fairbanks from Tok and about 330 to Anchorage. I think most of what you need will be had in Fairbanks, but I think you will find you need to go to Anchorage sometimes also. Much of your shopping will likely be mail order, even Wal-Mart has shipping service to rule/remote Alaska. I'm sure there are FFL holders if not a gun shop that you can ship guns to in Tok for around $20 to $40 each or that sell them as a side line. Shotgun News has a list online of FFL holders but I have not looked at it for years now. Traps can be had on line or at shops like Sportsmanís Warehouse in Fairbanks, Anchorage, or Wasilla. Most gun shops and some hardware stores also sell traping goods.

I don't know what kind of food processing equipment you are talking about but vacuum packers, bags, freezer paper, and what not should be available in Tok. Meet band saws and grinders may not, I would bring what you have and go from there.

Top of my list of shops is Costco but I don't think Fairbanks has one yet. Fred Mayer is the food place I use most and they are in Fairbanks. Here in Palmer/Wasilla (Mat-Su Valley) and Anchorage we have about the same stuff you are used to in Washington. Fairbanks has a bit less and someone that lives there can better tell you what. Tok has very little shopping at all but you can look at the Tok Chamber of Commerce on the web here and see for yourself. http://www.akpub.com/akttt/tokcc.html

I would love to see the steam engine when you come up! Have any pix of it?

Wish ya luck, the great adventure of moveing to Alaska was the best thing my wife and I have ever done. I sure love this State!

Andy

thanks, that is exactly the kind of information I am looking for. Please keep it coming.

I did find a blog site from Tok last night and will be going to it daily now to check on progress of a family that moved to Tok back in November.

I do not have any pictures of the steam engine yet. I am buying one from a gentleman at a tractor show in the spring. It is a 5HP engine and I will hook it to a generator. The boiler will also suppliment our heat to the green house and living areas.

steam engine<water> it was -70 in Tok last week.

Default Klikitat

You can find bunny boots (mickey boots) on the sportsmans guide. They have the best prices I have seen in their HQ surplus section. I have some of the black ones and they work well for me. They are brand new and Bata brand which is important. When do you plan on making you're move up hear? was also wondering where you live now? Good luck, and we'll try to help you as much as we can.

Shoe

Quote Originally Posted by aksnowshoe View Post
    You can find bunny boots (mickey boots) on the sportsmans guide. They have the best prices I have seen in their HQ surplus section. I have some of the black ones and they work well for me. They are brand new and Bata brand which is important. When do you plan on making you're move up hear? was also wondering where you live now? Good luck, and we'll try to help you as much as we can.

Shoe
    I live down here in Washington state. Not very cold down here, but do have some experience in Minnisota winters and a small stint out in Dutch Harbor.

I am making plans to put boots on the ground in April for about 10 days. We will be making the actual move the following year if God is willing.