Thread: Optics options for 340 weatherby accumark

Default Optics options for 340 weatherby accumark

Im trying to decide on some optics for my .340...I was thinking of the new nikon monarch 2.5-12x42 but I have not had any experience with this scope. . I also want to look at the bushnell 4200 elites. I may just go with the leupold vxlll 3.5-10x40 since they are on sale now....All of my current rifles have vxll's or lll's and like them but maybe will try another brand. Suggestions??

VXIII sale prices are mighty attractive right now. You know what you are getting with the VXIII, and bang for the buck is better than ever right now..... Fiscally, not the best time to try other brands in my opinion!

Wink Scope?

I am a Leupold guy also, most of my rifles have them. I am intrigued by the variable power of the Bushnell 6500, 2.5-16x42 or 50mm. Wish Leupold made one of these. I do have friends who swear by the Bushnells 3200 and 4200 elites, and especially like the rain guard feature. Let us know what you decide, Mark

razors, just seen 340 accumark wby and had to see what was up. i have one with a 2.5x 8 leupold VXlll. it has great field of view and enough power at distance on big game.

hi, first reply on this forum or any forum for that matter. my .340 accumark sports a vari-x III 3.5x10. Seems like the appropriate magnification for this cartridge but the eye relief is a little spooky of the bench. If i were to do it again I would install a fixed power in 4x as I just did on my 8mm rem mag which is ballistic twin.

Quote Originally Posted by ballpowder View Post
    hi, first reply on this forum or any forum for that matter. my .340 accumark sports a vari-x III 3.5x10. Seems like the appropriate magnification for this cartridge but the eye relief is a little spooky of the bench. If i were to do it again I would install a fixed power in 4x as I just did on my 8mm rem mag which is ballistic twin.

Do you have the older VARI-X series leupolds or the newer VX series? The newer VX series have awesome eye relief...4-5 inches worth. I have never looked through the older VARI-X series though. Thats another issue I did not think of...eye relief may be the deciding factor on this gun. I plan on using the accubrake at the bench but will be removing that for hunting.

Razors, yes it is a little older circa 1998. I also ordered the weatherby w/o accubreak as i was young and bullet proof back then. I hope weatherby can retrofit a break on for me. Also consider that the weight and design of the accumark encourages long range shooting as apposed to a "stalking" rifle. So if you can get a leupold with 4-5" of eye relielf i'd say that's your girl. good luck

I have a Mark V Synthetic in .340 Wby Mag and absolutely love it! Mine is topped by a VX-III 3.5-10x 40mm and it seems a great compromise between low end field of view and high power for long distance.

Whatever you do, put some nice glass on yours. The worst thing you can do to a great rifle is put a cheap scope on it, but it sounds like you already know that by the options you were listing.

Good luck and welcome to the .340 club.

I have the VX-III 4 x 12 on mine. Awsome glass it is.

Well guys I ended up getting a Nikon monarch 3-12x42 SF...I compared this scope to vxIII's, bushnell 4200's, and zeiss conquests. It has excellent glass and was brighter than the leupolds and bushnells IMO...
    I have to say it was pretty even with the conquests though but I did notice slight glare looking into setting sun with the conquest. I still put more trust into my leupolds but we will see how the nikon holds up.