Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ketchikan goat hunt information needed!

Default Ketchikan goat hunt information needed!

Looking at doing a goat hunt out of Ketchikan.

Air taxi: Family Air? Misty? or island wings? Any other air taxi operators you can think of.

Dates: I have either of these dates Sept 16 - 28, Oct 14 to 26 or Nov 11 -23. I am looking for a long haired goat, so my first thought is to do the Nov hunt, but I have not hunted this area before so I havn't a clue about the weather.

Do I need a small inflatable boat or not? Any other ideas or comments.

Troy

They're all good, but I'd go with Misty Fiords/Dave Doyon.

Weather is a little finicky around here in November. I don't think I'd chance a trip that time of the year. If you lived here and could leave on a moments notice it could be doable. I'd try the Oct dates, but it's chancing because it is Ketchikan.

Shouldn't need an inflatable, but I also don't where you'll be hunting.

I did talk with Dave from Misty and he sounded like a good guy. We talked about several lakes (little goat and others). He is getting $485hr for his 185. Dave from Family air is $475 hr, but is offering a 15% discount if you purchase time by the 15th. Good savings. I am waiting for a return call from Boyd Porter and talk with him.

I am looking for a hog with long hair and am willing to put in the effort. Looking at a 7 to 10 day hunt. So when do most of the guides take their clients? I don't mind hunting around guide, but I would rather not compete.

Thanks again for the info

Troy

Tupper Lake, NEW YORK IN THE CENTER OF THE ADIRONDACK MTS.

Default Misty Air Is The One

Dave Doyon and his son are not only excellent pilots but both are extremely knowledgeable and courteous. They can get you into any of the Misty waters that are landable and they know where the goats are hanging because they are in the air so much.

Quote Originally Posted by tv321 View Post
    I did talk with Dave from Misty and he sounded like a good guy. We talked about several lakes (little goat and others). He is getting $485hr for his 185. Dave from Family air is $475 hr, but is offering a 15% discount if you purchase time by the 15th. Good savings. I am waiting for a return call from Boyd Porter and talk with him.

I am looking for a hog with long hair and am willing to put in the effort. Looking at a 7 to 10 day hunt. So when do most of the guides take their clients? I don't mind hunting around guide, but I would rather not compete.

Thanks again for the info

Troy

Sorry, but I don't know that answer, one of the pilots could probably give some insight on that.

Go in October. No raft. Id charter with Doyon or McCue (misty Fjords or RMC). I don't think you'll run into much competition. Most pilots won't fly you into the same lake if they know of someone else that has already flown in there for a hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by alottabs View Post
    Dave Doyon and his son are not only excellent pilots but both are extremely knowledgeable and courteous. They can get you into any of the Misty waters that are landable and they know where the goats are hanging because they are in the air so much.

Is it legal for a pilot to tell where the goats are and take people to them?

Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post
    Go in October. No raft. Id charter with Doyon or McCue (misty Fjords or RMC). I don't think you'll run into much competition. Most pilots won't fly you into the same lake if they know of someone else that has already flown in there for a hunt.
    I will be going with either Dave or Ryan. Still thinking about which one. Both sound great via the phone. They both have a 185 and Beaver, so it isn't about there aircraft. I will just have to pick, unless one of you will PM me and give some more info in private.

I have also picked the dates. I will be doing a 8 to 10 day trip between Oct 7th and the 26th.

Area. Either on the main Island or Misty Fords. Exact area will not be picked until the day of transportation. I will have to leave it up to them!

Thanks again for your opinions and I welcome more.

Troy

I've flown with Dave. We was an extremely nice gent.

Got to respect a guy who doesn't sell out the the tourist industry. He could make a killing doing flightseeing for touristas off the boats - but won't.

I've worked with tourists - doing a stint at the local salmon bake. They will drive you crazy. Answering the same dumb-ass questions over and over again. Hard not to be sarcastic. Owners didnt' like it when I got irritated.

Thumbs up

For what its worth I've flown with Ryan for the past four years and can't say enough good things about him. I live remote outside of Ketchikan and he provides freight service for our remote outpost. I personally fly with him about once a month. He loves flying so its not just business. He flew me and a friend in for a goat hunt locally a couple years back, it was the beginning of October. It was supposed to be a four to five day hunt but after finding success on the second day we were able to contact him for an early pick up. Despite bad weather for several days he made attempts when windows allowed and was able to get us out a day early. He's out and about all year long flying for work and play so he knows the area and where the goats are. He'll go the extra mile for you for sure. He also knows how to pack a 185 so you shouldn't need more plane than that.
    Best of luck and Good Hunting.

Aside from which air service to take...I was in Ketchikan a while back and stopped in to talk with Fish and Game on the main drag just a short walk from the ferry/airport crossing. They were great. Gave me tons of maps. Told me about there counts and locations. It might be worth while to talk with them to *narrow down* the area(s) you are thinking about. The more information you have, the better in my way of thinking. Good luck.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Default what a pilot can do

I do not believe that a pilot can make the decision for you where you should be hunting. I think that you have to tell them where you will be hunting and flying in to.

I would discuss that with Boyd.

Pilots will not work all the lakes. You can work a smaller lake with a Beaver than a 185.

You are playing with 'fire' after Oct 15th. This season it snowed hard and stopped most Goat hunting in early Oct. Hunting that late I would only hunt a lake that I could hike to sealevel from ... in case the lake is not workable after you get dropped off.

There are very few Goats taken in late Oct and very very few taken later. You can also verify this by talking with Boyd.

Default Oct-Nov

In addition to the advise from muskeg...not only is the weather unpredictable in late Oct and in Novenber, but daylight hours are sure getting short at that time, and that increases your amount of "tent-time". Dark hours spent in the tent is time spent not hunting, and those longer tent-time hours can eat at ones commitment to the task.

In addition, although the goats have longer hair later in the hunting season, their hair begins to get matted into large hair-ball masses by November. Hunt early-mid Oct.

But I do know of one sea level lake where you can hike up into goat country that will not be to scary. Note that I do not always enjoy goat country when the ground is frozen. If I can not press by boots, edge into the hillside, I don't go there much or often after freeze-up. A small boat and tiny motor would be nice for fishing and shore hunting secondary targets, black bears. PM me if your interested.

Dennis
    AK TAGS

Quote Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
    I do not believe that a pilot can make the decision for you where you should be hunting. I think that you have to tell them where you will be hunting and flying in to.

Pilots will not work all the lakes. You can work a smaller lake with a Beaver than a 185.

You are playing with 'fire' after Oct 15th. This season it snowed hard and stopped most Goat hunting in early Oct. Hunting that late I would only hunt a lake that I could hike to sealevel from ... in case the lake is not workable after you get dropped off.

There are very few Goats taken in late Oct and very very few taken later. You can also verify this by talking with Boyd.
    Thanks Johnnie. It would seem that a pilot would be "guiding" if he told his customers where the goats were and took them there.

Isn't Dave Sr. a guide? If so wouldn't it be OK for him to make the decision?
    Last edited by kingfisherktn; 01-17-2009 at 15:52. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Isn't Dave Sr. a guide? Is so wouldn't it be OK for him to make the decision?

Interesting question.

I saw what happened to the guy in Sitka who got busted for same day flying/goat hunting while I lived in Sitka. He got hammered by the F/G. I'm planning a fly in goat hunt this year, and I want to make sure I don't break any rules.

Yes Dave is a licensed Registered Guide but not currently Guiding. He has no USFS permit (to conduct big game guiding) and has no Guide Use Areas locked in.

I licensed up under him back in '88 under the old system.

He is an excellent Goat lake pilot.

Just wondering, thanks Johhnie.

Thumbs down

Wasn't something that sunk in my noggin' till this year.

All about power-to-weight ratio. Those 9-pistol radials are really something.

Now if they weren't like $150/hr more . . . . .

Default Boat hunting

Looking for more info!!!!

I am now looking at getting a boat charter. I can either get dropped off or live onthe boat. One just cost more than the other!

How late is too late? Can this hunt be done in early Dec? How is the deer hunting at this time?

Thanks again

troy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast