Thread: Grub molds

Default Grub molds

The halibut weight mold thread got me to thinking about molds for making halibut jig grubs. Mine keep getting the tail bitten off and shreaded (darned lings ), and I'd save a bunch if I could just make them myself. Anyone know where to get the mold and grub material to make these things?

Years ago I made Rubber Jigs for Walleye fishing from a kit a bought from Bass Pro Shops. It worked ok but one side of the jigs were always flat much like the large ones you might use. I did a quick check and did not find where they sell them but I imagine someone does, for the small rubber tails I made it was not very cost effective to make them but maybe for the bigs ones. Let us know if you find something.

Thanks

Thumbs up Try This Link

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    The halibut weight mold thread got me to thinking about molds for making halibut jig grubs. Mine keep getting the tail bitten off and shreaded (darned lings ), and I'd save a bunch if I could just make them myself. Anyone know where to get the mold and grub material to make these things?
    http://www.lurecraft.com/catalog.cfm.../plastic-molds
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Rig a stinger hook on your leadhead, that way the lings won't get away

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

i dont think you will be saving any money unless you go through ALOT of grubs a year. lurecraft has what you need and there are others that do nice molds out of aluminum. be prepared for haz mat charges to alaska.

I briefly looked at the web site. About $46/gal for plastic, $29 for plastic mold, $20 hazmat shipping charge, etc. Might pay for itself over the long run, but seems like too much trouble for a few grubs/year.

I do use a stinger and they do work well. Don't recall if I'd put in on the head or on the hook of the jig. What's your experience on placement?

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

not as bad as i thought, you would need pigment though too and your first gall would be the learning curve. would be a good way to pass them long winter days. i pour and powder coat my own jigs and it is really satisfying. i have some good paint jobs but im not past the learning curve yet.

Also try janns netcraft and Barlows tackle express. Have had good luck ordering from both.
    Never tried to make Rubber tails but I think it would not be cost effective for you.
    Could be a lot of fun to try to make your own deadly color combos though.
    Sometimes there is a lot of fun in catching fish on stuff you made yourself.
    Kind of like fly tying.