Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what would you have done?

Question what would you have done?

Gusuk1's last thread brought this situation to mind, but I didn't want to derail or clutter his anymore than I have. But I'd like to know what you folks would have done in this situation? Years ago, some folks I know was hunting elk. On their way back to camp, I nice 6-point bull ran across the road in front of them and into a beaver pond and got mired down in the mud. They all surrounded this bull so there was no way he could ever escape. One of the guys got the bright idea of roping the elk and pulling it out of the pond with their Jeep Wagoneer, which they proceeded to do. After several roping attempts, they managed to rope one antler side, and pulled the elk out. The bull was so exhausted, it never even struggled...just slid on it's side. The guy's then pulled it over to a tree where they shot it and then pulled it up and skinned it. When thru with that job, the skinned carcass was lowered onto the roof carrier of the jeep and they drove off. When I first heard of this I called BS...until one of the guys flopped an envelope full of photos down in front of me to prove it. They had photos from the beginning to the end...documenting every sequence of the event.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

I would have called it Providential, then I think I would have killed it before dragging it out.

Most likely I would have let him get out hisself.

If I needed the meat, Ida shot him, then drug 'em out.

Sometimes you have to step back and look at the job ahead and see if its worth it.

I once scared a very large house cat (Accidently) into a Salmon net, on a bright sunny 4 am walk to the airport in Kotzebue,and figuring to help him out of what I chased him into, I reached down to give a hand.....and it ended up being nearly a finger, 'cause that SOB sunk 4 feline sabers deeply into my forefinger, and 4 paws worth of claws into my bare forearm....and would not letgo, no matter how many times I punched and choked him, slammed him on the ground with a shakle of web flying all over....I ended up wading knee deep into the Sound and was almost done drownding him when I heard a chuckle, and there was ol' man Art Feilds, extending his pocket knife to me, as he said "Better cut the web, 'cause cutting him might raelly piss 'em off !!"
    My finger turned purple and swelled to triple its size and I almost lost it. I still have scratches on my arms.....Made better by a Good doc with good antibiotics with quite the bill.

sounds like hunting in the lower 48 to me
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

If what they did was illegal, and it probably is, it's good that they recorded it. I always enjoy it when people record their crimes.

Having had to finish a deer once up close and personal, I do not like it. Suffering sucks. For me, it sucks twice because I end up suffering emotionally in addition to the anumal's physical suffering.

What would I have done? Hopefully showed some grace toward the life. If it was legal to shoot it, you bet, dinner is served. But to wrestle with it first? That's not for me.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Unless I needed the meat, I would have pulled him out and let him go. I shoot bulls for challenge and horns and cows for meat (if I do shoot a bull I eat it). This is not how I want to shoot a nice bull, nor inside a high fence. I have a nice bull on my wall and I hunted many days for it and called him in to me. That is hunting to me, not dragging out an exhausted bull and shooting him as he lay there unable to move. I would be embarrased to tell this story if I shot it.

Default edible?

I bet the meat tasted a bit different with all the adrenaline running through the bull. I certainly wouldn't call it a hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by jtm9 View Post
    I bet the meat tasted a bit different with all the adrenaline running through the bull. I certainly wouldn't call it a hunt.
    You got that right. We've slaughtered a couple of steers that got mired over the years. Time to hold your nose and make hamburger, cuzz you aren't going to want to eat the tough, smelly steaks. I'd have shot it right away as a kindness and for a chance at better meat. Then get your roping practice for dragging it out.

What would they have done if the sucker had been full of pissandvinegar when it came out of the mud with a rope on it? Been there and done that when a couple of our cow hands roped a black bear when I was a kid. Two ropes on it so it wasn't too bad as long as it was stretched, but give it a little slack and all hades broke out. Things got REAL interesing when one of the ropes popped free. Ever see a horse climb a tree?

Default Each person hunts

for his or her own reasons. One person may covet the meat and give the antlers to a carver or sell them by the pound , another may donate the meat and mount the head...neither is right or wrong. To judge either philosophy seems foolish....just go about your business.

[
    quote=257wby;410708]for his or her own reasons. One person may covet the meat and give the antlers to a carver or sell them by the pound , another may donate the meat and mount the head...neither is right or wrong. To judge either philosophy seems foolish....just go about your business.
    [/quote]

You're right, neither is *right* or *wrong* as long as it is legal. But... this is not *my* definition of hunting and I'll express my *opinion* on it. Most of us dont hunt to feed our families and make some extra income from hides and horns, etc. If these guys needed the meat in their freezers, OK, but to shoot it and put the head and/or horns on the wall would be embarrasing to me. Mature bull elk are a fairly rare reource. Let someone else shoot it while excercising their skill as a hunter. I might have misunderstood the tone of the original post but it sounded like one of these guys was bragging about this with the pictures? I would brag about this about as much as I would brag about going to work and sleeping all day.

The original question is what would I do?.... I would have let it go.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by BTK View Post
    I would have called it Providential, then I think I would have killed it before dragging it out.
    I second this.

I don't think I'd like the possibility of wrestling him after pulling him out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I second this.

I don't think I'd like the possibility of wrestling him after pulling him out.
    I third this , if your going to kill anything do it quick and clean.

Angry Judging????

Quote Originally Posted by 257wby View Post
    for his or her own reasons. One person may covet the meat and give the antlers to a carver or sell them by the pound , another may donate the meat and mount the head...neither is right or wrong. To judge either philosophy seems foolish....just go about your business.
    This thread wasn't about judging or right/wrong. It was as Montana Rifleman stated, a question...get this..."what would you do? I haven't expressed my opinion on this yet, and if I do get judgemental, one way or the other, so be it. And yes, to the bragging question, and all five guys (I don't know how else to refer to them without being accused of being judgemental) were very proud of the way it all came down. I saw all the photo's, so excuse me if I become a little "heated" on this. If I had the photo's to post, all I could say is Lord, have Mercy.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

I've passed on moose, bear, sheep, caribou, and numerous other game animals over the years. Some people don't understand why I passed on those animals, and to tell you the truth, sometimes even I don't completely know why. There wasn't any kind of inner struggle that resulted in me letting that animal go. I just didn't feel like shooting it at that moment. The next day might be a completely different story though...

In the specific situation with the wolf? Who really knows what they would do until that moment where you have to shoot, or put the gun down?

Default I like trophies on the wall

as much as anyone. But when I look at the trophy, my admiration is for the animal, not the shooter.

I second stranger. If I needed the meat, I would have shot quickly, before the meat got tainted with the struggles. Otherwise I would not have taken it. There's hunting and then killing, this, for me, is closer to one than the other. When I look at the few trophies I have, its the hunt I remember, not the killing.

Default The Lower 48

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    sounds like hunting in the lower 48 to me
    Ak Powder: Many of us Long Time Alaskans are from the Lower 48. I personally find all of the every opportunity Lower 48 Slamming Offensive!
    I have personally witnessed many things in Alaska that would equal to this event. I would hate for someone to characterize all Alaskans based on a few peopleís antics.

I for one was not too happy with the way the Media portrayed all of us, based on Saraís performance.
    We should all stop the bashing!
    Louis

As for the Elk:
    If I was going to shot it, I would have shot it first. If I went through all of the trouble to save it, I would have let it go. I donít think I could shoot something that is totally helpless.

Default Lotsa' philosophy on this forum

But I guess most real hunters are philosophers and poets at heart. We've all had different experiences that have led us to our decision making at this point, and some of us will change our ethics again in time. Maybe this forum and others will help get the majority of hunters, no matter why they hunt, on the same page when it comes to making ethical decisions in the field.
    If I thought there was no way he'd get out of there on his own, Ida shot him. I don't hunt with five other guys (although after a bear encounter, I don't hunt alone anymore), and haven't ever shot anything within a close walk of my truck...so the decision would probably have made a lot more work for me. I'd still do it so the animal wouldn't go to waste.

ss

Default Contribution

Well now that my coffee is kicking in I'll add some to this thread.

Could it be that they intended to release the bull but when it wouldn't stand it was put down and harvested? Then the guys just wanted to brag about their dumb luck.

I know sometimes wierd situational stuff happens in the field and the odd luck is just as interesting as any kind of success.

I remember when a legal 5 brow tine bull Moose walked right into my camp on Kuiu about three hours before the Beaver arrived. There was no way on gods green earth I fiqured an animal of the caliber would show on an island in SE. I didn't register and that bull walked away into the timber after some calling and drooling. When I talk about that hunt I don't mention the two bears we shot but I love to talk about that unexpected bull Moose walking up the beach into camp.

I love to tell stories when the time is right. I hope thats all your experienced is some imbelished story telling.

So if your asking what I would do.....I'd try to drag that bull out and see how he does.....if someone decided to use their tag on him I'd help but it wouldn't be "My" bull. My bull is getting fat and happy on Etolin waiting for his day and I'll be proud to throw a thick nasty looking rack from that god forsaken island on my wall and tell everyone where it came from no matter the size.

As far as the 48 vs AK stuff............I'll have none of it. I'm a corn fed country boy at heart and learned how to swing a scatter gun before a rifle. My hunting roots come from Washington state and as long as your out to be a good sportsman and are living right more power to ya.

while i've never had to rope anything, i've put holes in stuff and had it run in bad places and held off for a few seconds before giving a follow up shot till they are outa the bad stuff, be it a river or lake, mud, cliff..whatever.
    lower 48 bashing (i didn't see any VS stuff in there, just a statemand towards the 48 AND A SMILEY FACE!!!) is just as good as bashing fairbanks, or anchorage, the valley, Obama or teir II, the drawing, guides, non residents, BOG....geez you name it. funny to see you guys from there get your hackles all up....no matter what you bash someone ain't gonna like it much. so either take it all in stride or take and give NONE of it. wow...all that and i don't even drink coffee!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast