Thread: Hunting Workout - Stairs/trails in Anchorage

Default Hunting Workout - Stairs/trails in Anchorage

Trying to get back into mountain hunting shape, I know a lot of people recommended hiking and running hills. In the cold weather I would like to stay inside and run stairs. Does anyone know a good place to run stairs in Anchorage?

Also, any good hills and trails around town to hit when it warms up for hunt training?

Default hilltop

just go up to hill top - no need to stay inside now - get a pair of snowshoes and start hiking. Load up the packframe with 75 pounds of dog food and jog the "hills" on hilltop and you should be good to go come spring.

I am doing girly workouts inside with the wife - I am less than girly right now - everything hurts this desk jockey today............LOL

There is a good set of outdoor stairs downtown. They start at the bottom of the hill at the old rail road depot and head up of course. If you know someone who works in one of out taller buildings see about getting permission to use thier indoor stairs for a work out
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Thumbs up trails

The first trails that are snow free, every year, are the Turnagain Arm south facing slopes and trails. Bird Creek trail is usually first followed by McHugh Creek trail. So in March-April you can hike outdoors and restart that cardio training on those uphill hikes, and then blast your quads on the downhill.

I agree that you might want to start outside now. I only do three snowshoe hikes per week, but they are always more enjoyable than my indoor treadmill, "white rat syndrome-type" workouts.

Dennis
    AK TAGS

There are covered outdoor stairs behind Alpenglow Elementary in Eagle River - a pretty long set of them, actually. My wife walks those from time to time with a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    just go up to hill top - no need to stay inside now - get a pair of snowshoes and start hiking. Load up the packframe with 75 pounds of dog food and jog the "hills" on hilltop and you should be good to go come spring.

I am doing girly workouts inside with the wife - I am less than girly right now - everything hurts this desk jockey today............LOL
    I'd reccomend skiing on the ski trails and not snowshoing having to negotiate snow snow tracks while screaming down spencer loop is not very fun.

Anyway load your pack, start light at first and work your way up. There are plenty of mountains to choose from, flattop being the most climbed. *Stay on the ridges and away from cornices* things are gonna start sliding when we get some new snow. Lots of stairs around too if you are into that kind of thing.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default workout

Go to Skinny Raven. They sell running shoes there. Get some ice cleats. Go run on any trial you like. Planet Fitness sells memberships for $15/month. They have treadmills.

See you at the Trent Waldron half marathon memorial day weekend and we'll leave the wanna bes behind!

Seriously, I did zero climbing this summer, but I ran more than ever. I had never been so strong. I packed down 103 lbs this fall.

Anyone been up Mt Baldy in Eagle River lately. Was looking at that as a possible training area. Just haven't got outside to check it out.

I know that hiking gets you ready for hiking, but a good solid strength and condtioning program helps build the base to get you ready for the outdoors and everything it can throw at you. For those of you that want to get into supreme all around fitness check out Crossfit. Crossfit is very popular among members of the police, fire, and military to help get there fitness ready for anything. We have a Crossfit in Anchorage too.

Not exactly crossfit, but have been hitting the base gym really hard. Lots of stairclimber and running. Goal is to be ready to hit the mountains hard. When the weather clears up a bit I will add some packing to the routine. I am looking for some good snowshoe hikes to kill the cabin fever. I was thinking Mt Baldy or Hiltop. Any other worthwhile areas to target and not get avalanched?

Default Baldy

I did Baldy on New Year's' Day. It'll be a lot more pleasant now that the temps are up a bit... The trail is well packed and you could even do it without snowshoes, but I would recommend wearing them for the extra traction on the steep parts. I like to do a loop, going up the front and down the back to the old homestead and down the trail through the alders back to the parking area. If you hustle, you can do that in a little over an hour.

Agree with the previous comment on upper body work outs too. In order to really feel comfortable packing a heavy load, you need more than just leg strength and cardio fitness. If only I could force myself to lift at 5:30 in the morning. Oh well...

Rob

If anyone needs a personal trainer, I work cheap.

Default Sheep Shape

Usually I switch to lite beer about July which helps cpme August. Truly I don't like to get to crazy as I find sheep hunting to be the easiest hunt in Alaska. Get to the top, sheep are easy to kill. Last year I added a salad to my diet in July as well and I feel I got a bunch of power from it.

Goat hunters - piece of cake, second easiest hunt in Alaska. Get to the top kill big billy. Easy.

Dont worry about exercise, seeing that animal will motivate you to get to the top.

And I got some ocean front property in Arizona for you too.

All a joke folks. I have been on 2 sheep hunts killed 2 sheep. 1 goat hunt - killed 1 billy. Airplane had more to do with it than exercise. I wish I had more motivation, hunts would have been easier and better had I been more prepared.

Waiting for tags....

Gooch

Default BS

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    Usually I switch to lite beer about July which helps cpme August. Truly I don't like to get to crazy as I find sheep hunting to be the easiest hunt in Alaska. Get to the top, sheep are easy to kill. Last year I added a salad to my diet in July as well and I feel I got a bunch of power from it.

Goat hunters - piece of cake, second easiest hunt in Alaska. Get to the top kill big billy. Easy.

Dont worry about exercise, seeing that animal will motivate you to get to the top.

And I got some ocean front property in Arizona for you too.

All a joke folks. I have been on 2 sheep hunts killed 2 sheep. 1 goat hunt - killed 1 billy. Airplane had more to do with it than exercise. I wish I had more motivation, hunts would have been easier and better had I been more prepared.

Waiting for tags....

Gooch
    **** Gooch, The only reason you killed that billy was the 3 days I spent with a chainsaw cutting you a trail the week before. Thats my story anyway

Default You got me there

It was a hell of a trail. Truly. You thinking about heading out West this fall? BB and Bou? I will be guiding agian on the pen for bear and moose so the alkes all yours!

I put in for Ketchikan goats this year. Hammer time.

Miss you Milo!

Default Not sure

Was thinking about the BB and Bou. Also put in for that same goat hunt again, this time with my brother. Not sure if he will make it because he just found out that he has no ACL in one of his knees. bad deal

I'll shoot you an email and we can chat offline rather than hijacking this thread further.