Thread: Flat top

Default Flat top

Well today I made my first trip up to Flat top. We went up off of Dearmen rd side. It was nice. Fresh snow on the ground. The climb up kicked my butt. As winter appraocches I was wondering can you still climb flat safley during the winter months? If so which side should I climb.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Yep, you can. A pretty devoted cadre of climbers and skiers/snowboarders keep a path packed up to the top all winter long. Just go straight up the face - you can't miss the trail once it's been made. That being said, there have been deaths from avalanches right there on Flattop. It's mostly safe, but not entirely.

There are some chutes off the left side of the mountain that are a blast to ski, but probably not a good route for hiking. Again, I'd stick to the boot-packed trail up the face.

-Brian

BM thanks Ill give that a try
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Didn't a couple snowshoers get caught in a avvy on Flat Top last year with one of them dying?

AVALANCHE!! thread....
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ead.php?t=5870
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Some got caught up there last winter. I can't remember if the person died or not.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Unhappy A deadly hill

Flat top is a very deadly hill when it come to avalanches.
    Be safe stay off Flat top.

I wouldn't go so far as to say stay off it. The key is to be prepared, both with knowledge of avalanche risks and with gear such as beacons, probes, and shovels. Flattop is dangerous due to its location on the edge of Anchorage coupled with easy access which causes unprepared people to let down their guard. There is a false sense of security in being able to see the city, resulting in some unfortunate accidents. Flattop can be safely enjoyed in the winter if one knows what they are doing - be prepared, make sure your partners are prepared, and always err on the side of caution!

-Brian