Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cleaning brass questions

Default cleaning brass questions

Is there a hardware store product I could buy to clean brass?
    Is a tumbler really necessary? Or is it to just save time?

clean brass is important to the longevity of the dies as well as the brass. also clean brass functions better through your rifle (good reasons). if you continue to reload i recommend a good vibrator. it will be money well spent, and they will last for years. if this is not possible talk to a friend and use his. generally they will "tumble" 300 rifle or 500 pistol cases at a time. only a half hour is required for cleaning.

this amount of clean brass should keep you busy for awhile...

**tip i use a capfull of brasso mixed with corn cob or walnut media (in my tumbler). some will say this weakens the brass, but not in my experience. i usually get 7 loads from my "06 cases, similar on the straight wall brass.

happy trails.
    jh

Default Cleaners

BE CAREFUL using cleaners and chemicals on brass. Most brass objects that are cleaned with cleaners (like BRASSO) aren't subjected to pressure, heat, and working. The chemical cleaners can harden brass causing failures to occur.
    A tumbler/vibrator is the best method as it cleans both inside and outside of the brass.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Brass Tumblers are a waste of time, and money.

They make the brass pretty, but there is no percentage in shining them up.

All I do is is clean the necks, mostly with some fine steel wool, but even that is unnecessary.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post

All I do is is clean the necks, mostly with some fine steel wool, but even that is unnecessary.

Smitty of the North
    not to argue with you smitty.....

i like shiny brass! but depending on your brass sourse (gun clubs, range scrounging, etc) or storage, they can and do carry grit. they will make a mess of your "roll pad" an spray lube makes it worse. this can score your dies and even your rifles. it just makes sense to try to make the best loaded cartridge possible.

generally after cleaning, my brass is sorted to caliber and brand. then when i feel like it, the cases are ready to load.

a clean case is a happy case.

happy trails.
    jh

Default Case cleaner

Has anyone used one of these case cleaners? I thought the liquid option might be an option to the dry media and easier to get the grit off. Just wondering?? Mark

https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/Mai...&route=C11J035
    Last edited by markopolo50; 01-13-2009 at 07:11. Reason: add link

Default Cleaning brass on the cheap

Qt of hot water, qt or vinegar and a 3 tablespoons of non iodized salt and a few drops of liquid dish soap will clean the crud off and out of brass, leaves the brass clean with a dull patina that will polish nicely if you tumble or vibrate in a media. After you dump in the brass, agitate the solution for 10 minutes. You can leave the soap out if you want but make sure you rinse the solution off/out of the cases before drying. I deprime mine first and let this solution clean the primer pockets, helps the draining and drying process too. I've been told this is the original Gov't Springfield Armory brass cleaning process. Hint, use glass or plastic container not metal.

Pinehavensredrocket:
    That's a point about grit. On those rare occasions I've had to deal with grit, I've decapped with a hand tool first, then used a homemade liquid cleaner.

My mix I got from someone on the Internet.
    1 Pint of water
    1 Cup of White Vinegar
    1 Tablespoon of Salt
    1 Teaspoon of Liquid Dish Detergent

I keep it made up in a beeg plastic jar. To use, I pour it into a plastic container, add the brass, shake it gently for 5 minutes, take out the brass rinse it, set it on end, and let it dry. (For a long time)

The caution is to not let the brass soak in the mix, because if you did it too long, like overnight, it weakens the brass. ????

After, I've used it, I can let any grit settle to the bottom, then pour the top back into the storage jar again. I've not needed it often, and I'm only on my 2nd batch, which has been used only once, so far.

I suppose, you could use any number of household cleaners, and rinse, and it would clean the brass OK, but this works OK.

I don't like those lube pads, myself, they're too messy.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Default How much?

Marcopolo, Dude, Over 500 bucks for a tumbler? Woof! Think of all the new brass you could buy with that much cash, or pay the heating bill. I use a Frankford Arsenal vibrator that cost me $50.00. Probably cleaned 4-5 thousand cases with it, no problem. Lordy, lordy....

If you reload and take pride in what you produce a $50 investment is nothing over the lifecycle of the tumbler, not to mention good for your die's like previously stated.

Default Expedient vibratory cleaner

After I posted a "Wanted" post on the Buy/Sell/Trade portion of this form, someone suggested going to a thrift store and buying one of those vibratory foot soakers. I have seen them at Salvation Army and Value Village for 8 to 15 dollars.

I never got the chace to try it. Before I found a suitable one my friend have me a real one for my birthday.

Lost Sheep

I reloaded for over 30 years without one. Just wipe the grit off with a soft cloth. Of course I never had a chronograph or brass trimmer, either (pstol shooting only). I have a chamfer tool, but never used it, either.

Smitty of the North

I'll argue with you Smitty. Brass tumblers are the way to go saves the fingers for more important tasks. Besides I couldn't sleep if my brass tumbler wasn't humming in the garage.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Sheep View Post
    After I posted a "Wanted" post on the Buy/Sell/Trade portion of this form, someone suggested going to a thrift store and buying one of those vibratory foot soakers. I have seen them at Salvation Army and Value Village for 8 to 15 dollars.

I never got the chace to try it. Before I found a suitable one my friend have me a real one for my birthday.

Lost Sheep

I reloaded for over 30 years without one. Just wipe the grit off with a soft cloth. Of course I never had a chronograph or brass trimmer, either (pstol shooting only). I have a chamfer tool, but never used it, either.
    Have you no shame!
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Wink Tumbler?

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    Marcopolo, Dude, Over 500 bucks for a tumbler? Woof! Think of all the new brass you could buy with that much cash, or pay the heating bill. I use a Frankford Arsenal vibrator that cost me $50.00. Probably cleaned 4-5 thousand cases with it, no problem. Lordy, lordy....
    Mauserboy, thanks for the reply, that is why I asked. Looks like the vibrator is the way to go and rinse if needed. Thanks, Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I'll argue with you Smitty. Brass tumblers are the way to go saves the fingers for more important tasks. Besides I couldn't sleep if my brass tumbler wasn't humming in the garage.
    OK, you can keep yours. &%^$#
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Default Shame?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy,

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Sheep,
    Originally Posted by Lost Sheep View Post

Lost Sheep

Have you no shame!

Lost Sheep
    Of course I have shame. Plenty of it. I never use any of it up!

Lost Sheep

Pinehavensredrocket:
    That's a point about grit. On those rare occasions I've had to deal with grit, I've decapped with a hand tool first, then used a homemade liquid cleaner.

My mix I got from someone on the Internet.
    1 Pint of water
    1 Cup of White Vinegar
    1 Tablespoon of Salt
    1 Teaspoon of Liquid Dish Detergent

I keep it made up in a beeg plastic jar. To use, I pour it into a plastic container, add the brass, shake it gently for 5 minutes, take out the brass rinse it, set it on end, and let it dry. (For a long time)

The caution is to not let the brass soak in the mix, because if you did it too long, like overnight, it weakens the brass. ????

After, I've used it, I can let any grit settle to the bottom, then pour the top back into the storage jar again. I've not needed it often, and I'm only on my 2nd batch, which has been used only once, so far.

I suppose, you could use any number of household cleaners, and rinse, and it would clean the brass OK, but this works OK.

I don't like those lube pads, myself, they're too messy.

Smitty of the North
    Hello:
    I just tried this recipe, WOW, what a difference in about 5-10 minutes!
    Simply shocking how good it works!
    Many thanks for sharing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MagLvr View Post
    Hello:
    I just tried this recipe, WOW, what a difference in about 5-10 minutes!
    Simply shocking how good it works!
    Many thanks for sharing!!!
    You betcha.

Someone shared it with me, and it's made with easily available stuff.

Besides, you don't hafta listen to one of those tumblers whining for hours and hours, keeping you awake, hoping it doesn't short circuit and burn the house down.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

You betcha.

Someone shared it with me, and it's made with easily available stuff.

Besides, you don't hafta listen to one of those tumblers whining for hours and hours, keeping you awake, hoping it doesn't short circuit and burn the house down.

Smitty of the North
    Does this concoction just clean the crud off or does it leave the brass shiny too?

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    Does this concoction just clean the crud off or does it leave the brass shiny too?
    It didn't make mind shiny.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast