Thread: setting the hook on a halibut

Default setting the hook on a halibut

Ok, just saw North to Alaska fishing show. They were fishing for halibut. On it the guide said when they hook a big halibut they free spool due to the larger halibut having a tougher mouth and they tend to be harder to hook. I was wondering if anyone else does this? Me? I have never thought of doing that. Maybe that way I lost a few nice ones this year. They would hit and a minute later they pop off.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Setting the hook

I don't know about having a tougher mouth and being harder to hook, but our charter captain this summer kept telling us not to jerk up so hard to set the hook. He said "just let them take it a bit and then pull back and start reeling in". We are so used to getting a bite on the Klutina from a big King and jerking with all our might to set the hook. We lost quite a few good bites from setting the hook too hard before it sunk into our thick heads that maybe he was right! After all he is one of the best captains Valdez has to offer. After that we brought in a much larger percentage of the good bites we got. My $.02

Once I start getting a bite I dip the rod and reel the slack. Then if I feel another bite I slow rise the rod tip and by this it sets the hook.

This year a couple of times I had a rod in the rod holder and wham the rod tip is facing the water and it was hell trying to get the rod out of the holder. By the time we got it out the fish is gone

The show just got my curious about letting a bigger fish run with it.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I do that sometimes also. If im using a large peice of bait I always do it. I'll drop it down and wait to get some action, then I flip the bail and let the fish to the work. Most of the time you'll know, they will take off cuz they end up hooking themselves. Or I'll slowly lift my rod to feel if anythings there, then set the hook. Caught a few 100+ pound fish doing that this summer.

I never ever set the hook on halibut when we are using circle hooks. I hold the road and wait to feel a steady pull and they are usually always on unless they are small or stripped the hook clean.

Yeah I have to beat people over the head on my boat when they set the hook like there bass fishing
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I always tell my quests "No jerks on this boat"
    Circle hooks were invented for commercial fishing, a 1/2 mile of rope with a hook every 4 feet,
    Clue #1 theres no one down there jerking that rope when a fish bites

Clue #2 the point is turned in, by jerking you simply pull the hook out.

By reeling in you put force on the hook causing it to turn into and around the jaw, which is where you want hook a Giant if you want to keep him on the line.
    .02 cents worth
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

The idea is to let the fish move off a bit so he's moving AWAY before trying to reel in against them. Some skippers use slip rigs. I gave them a shot this year however my clients were'nt on the up and up on the HOW TO portion of this.

I do file my hooks and a fellow skipper buddy of mine goes as far as to slightly offset his barbs. He hooks more butts then I do on a regular basis by doing this. He's also doing a "4inch jab". Once the fish bites, he'll take the rod out of the holder, point it at the water and when the fish starts really pulling, he jabs (not setting the hook his idea is burying the barb) moving the rod tip ONLY FOUR INCHES! It works great when done properly.

On days with little swell and fish that tended to hang on but not go anywhere which was a sign of a really big flatty, we went to some big J hooks ran just like a mooching rig with a hunk of belly meat. This works wonders when you have a biggun that wont hang on to a circle hook! So good in fact one of our skippers landed a 350, and 5 days later landed a 420lb flatty on this rig!

The only other thing to do is get the jiggy jiggy out and wamo, 9 out of 10 times game on! Almost all of my big flatties this year were jig caught though I put quite a bit of emphasis on having a jigging rod down after an hour or so of soaking bait.