Thread: Balance beam or powder measure??

Default Balance beam or powder measure??

Was wondering what you folks up there preferred in the way of measuring your powder. Balance beam or electronic powder dispensor. I have a brand new Lyman 1200 DPS III still new in the box and contemplating if my 250 or so handloads a month warrant it or not and perhaps i should sell it for something that would be more practical for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Win94 View Post
    Was wondering what you folks up there preferred in the way of measuring your powder. Balance beam or electronic powder dispensor. I have a brand new Lyman 1200 DPS III still new in the box and contemplating if my 250 or so handloads a month warrant it or not and perhaps i should sell it for something that would be more practical for myself.

i reload a lot........mostly centerfire rifle, and some centerfire pistol. after owning rcbs, redding, hornady and some others i now use a lee perfect scale & lee powder measure.

they were cheap, are accurate, and repeatable.

the scale is needed for measure set-up (always), then depending on the load, scale every 5th or 10th round.

my loads are accurate, and work fine even in high power competition.

happy trails.
    jh

Default Love Mine

I have the same model and I really like it. It took me a little while to get used to it (resistance to change).

I would not willingly go back as it's so easy to load with. Works very well with canister and ball powders. Trailboss which is a doughnut flake will sometimes hang it up in the trickle mode.

IMO try it.

Ed

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Don’t even think about it! Go plug that thing in and get to work loading……… you will LOVE it! I use mine all the time, even for small batches of ammo. It is a bit of a pain to change powders, but once you get the hang of it, it goes pretty fast. I still have several beam scales, electronic scales, lee powder dippers, 3 or 4 little dandies, and 3 various throwers but can honestly say that I use my DSPIII about 90% of the time. I do double check the first few charges with a beam scale although I have yet to have a discrepancy…..
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

I appreciate the input fellas. Thank you!!!

Talking Balance beam

I guess I'm an example that you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I purchased a nice Cabela's model electronic scale and I spent more time calibrating it than loading so I sent it back and still use my balance scales. I also use a Baer powder measure for the rounds I shoot a lot of (like my 22-250 for rock chucks). An electronic powder measure would probably be nice but I don't want to get too fancy...it might lead to doing other fancy things, and...more money.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Default Consider Lee Powder Scoops

Quote Originally Posted by Win94 View Post
    Consider Lee Powder scoops.

Pro:
    Cheaper than dirt
    As repeatable as any measure if I do my part (consistent technique is key)
    You will never run out of powder unbeknownst.
    It will never cut powder granules
    If you want absolute accuracy (by weight), scoop short and trickle up to weight on a balance beam scale
    Once a scoop is adjusted, it never goes out of adjustment
    Never need batteries,

Con:
    Don't rely on the chart for weight measurement. Throw the powder into a scale and make your own chart.
    Slower than a powder thrower, and you will probably need a funnel.
    Adjusting the measure is time-consuming.

Don't laugh.