Thread: getting started trapping

Default getting started trapping

hey does anyone have some good advice for getting started on trapping. I'm not looking to get rich on furs or even catch every little thing just looks like good fun and want to do it. ive used paddle traps before and know about them... wasnt ever good with it but know how to set one. i was looking into maybe some snares. and a few other traps whats some of your guys recommendations on buying a good variety.. I would like to catch a lynx and maybe some fox... along with a pine martin or something... what do i need trap wise... im just reading on the regs today.... can you catch grouse and such now id catch them to eat there yummy if legal.. and bunnies too how are grouse caught???
    God Created Man Samuel Colt Made Them Equal

This is my first year and I started out pretty small. I set a dozen footholds and half dozen conibears. I guess the hardest part is to find you a spot. If you want Lynx then I would say get some #3's and set cubbies in the area. Set conibear 120's for marten on either vertical or pole sets. As for snares I went onto the snare shop and they have snares for whatever you want. Not sure if you could set a trap for grouse but you might get one by accident. Rabbits are easy if they are around. Just get some rabbit snares and set theree trails, you'll have them in no time. I used snares set over rabbit trails for fox. I set them about 6-8 inch off the ground over bunny trails. I just got my first fox, so I am pumped. So far this year I have caught 3 lynx and the one fox, and few bunnies and some squirrles. I'm in a heavily trapped area though. Well good luck and hope this helped!

The best way to get started is to join your local Trappers Association. Members are usually full of good advice and most are willing to give you lots of good pointers. What area of the state are you in? I can give you association info for that area. Pointy's advice is good, but I would use #4 or 5 for lynx, they have huge feet, and a #3 probably won't hold a wolverine or wolf if they happened to get into the set. The other good resource is the Alaska Trappers Manual from the Alaska Trappers Association, and read everything you can get your hands on.

Mike

im in ancorage area but i travel all over the state everyweek and have hunting camps north and south.... i spend alot of time there so i was gonna use the free time there...

stetson I sent you a pm with the contact info.

hey whats the diffrence between coil traps and long spring traps as far as use??? I know the obvious spring and mechanical diffrence but is one better than the other??

what about snares??? anyone use them here in alaska??? that sounds easy enough for bunnies and such.... what size should i get though??? maybe fox and bunnies along with lynx

Coil is a bit stronger and smaller so fit in a smaller hole. The stronger would be less prone to freeze up I think but I have never trapped in the cold so that part is a guess. Also coil is faster and they were what I liked best for yote in Arizona for speed. Yote down there place their foot so softly they can feel the pan give and if you get them at all with a long spring itís by the toe. A coil will get the foot most of the time and if it gets just the toes it would have been empty had it been a long spring. Remember thatís not accounting for Alaskaís cold and wet, may be the same and may not.

Andy