Thread: Clearances

Default Clearances

So i am slowly working on getting our dogs all of their clearances. I had there cerfs done last year in Palmer and I'm debating about renewing them this spring here in town. I had planned on making an appointment for my girl's OFA x-rays(hips and elbows) here in the next couple months. I want to do the EIC and CNM just need to read up on procedures for getting those tests done. Is there any age limits on those like hips and elbows? What is the difference between penn-hip and ofa and why do one over the other? Any other suggestions on what i should have them checked out for?

I will admit that i am doing all of this on our silver female. I have learned ALOT about the breed since i've gotten her and i am very curious to see how the results turn out. We have started training her with FRC this last year and are planning on doing it again this spring. It is just a wonderful feeling to see how much they grow and develop with all the hours and hours of work

**I am doing theses tests for my personal curiousity not because i plan on breeding her**

Hi DocAKLabs,

We did both penn-hip and OFA on our boy. We did both because penn-hip gave us a rating of something more than just "fair, good or excellent". We were actually glad we did it that way, because when he came back as "fair" from OFA we had the numbers in front of us from Penn-hip that told us what the laxity was in his hips and his percentile. He had a subluxation in his right hip during the OFA which could have been caused by many things. So by looking at his numbers from penn-hip we were able to determine wether or not to breed him once he turned two years old.
    Penn-hip says they can reliably test dogs as young as 16 weeks old. OFA you can get prelims done at 4 months, if your wanting early knowledge of hip developement this is a good way to go, but for the final OFA they need to be two years old. Breeders tend to use the earlier OFA and Penn-hip on pups that they plan on keeping for their breeding program. They can make the determination to place that dog as a pet if something might come up to where the hips are questionable at such a young age. We do elbows the same time we do hips.
    Dr Wooldrige in Anchorage does a wonderful job, and even did our last dog without sedation. She came back OFA Good.

One other thing I would check out is Cardiac. This is a awful lot of expense for curiosities sake, If she has sound movement and she is not going to be bred why put her through all this.

Quote Originally Posted by docaklabs View Post
    So i am slowly working on getting our dogs all of their clearances. I had there cerfs done last year in Palmer and I'm debating about renewing them this spring here in town. I had planned on making an appointment for my girl's OFA x-rays(hips and elbows) here in the next couple months. I want to do the EIC and CNM just need to read up on procedures for getting those tests done. Is there any age limits on those like hips and elbows? What is the difference between penn-hip and ofa and why do one over the other? Any other suggestions on what i should have them checked out for?

I will admit that i am doing all of this on our silver female. I have learned ALOT about the breed since i've gotten her and i am very curious to see how the results turn out. We have started training her with FRC this last year and are planning on doing it again this spring. It is just a wonderful feeling to see how much they grow and develop with all the hours and hours of work

**I am doing theses tests for my personal curiousity not because i plan on breeding her**
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Well, to be truthful, it is quite a bit of money to spend for your curiousity.
    I would say definitely do Hips and Elbows. I do both OFA and Penn Hip. Penn Hip is better if you are a breeder as it gives a more specific definition of hip health. If problems with hips or elbows are identified early, you can give supplements now that might somewhat slow signs of problems to come.

You mentioned CNM and EIC. Do you use the North Pole Vets? They had reasonable pricing for the EIC. CNM consists of a cheek swab that you can do yourself or have it done by the vet when you do the EIC test. CNM will note with your number whether or not it was done by the vet. (The vet positively identifies with dog's microchip number.)
    The EIC blood tube gets shipped to Minnesota. The CNM swabs get shipped to France (which is kind of a pain).

The two other tests I will be doing on my dogs are PRA (progressive retinal atrophy) which is now done with a swab (I think) and RD. The RD test is great because it actively identifies dogs with retinal dysplasia. The CERF exam is used to identify dogs with retinal folds, but sometimes folds would disappear before the condition was diagnosed or vet would see a type of fold not related to RD and flag the dog as having RD folds...They can be difficult to identify.
    PRA is uncommon in field bred labs (but not unheard of-vet on RTF recommends the test for all labs), but very common in dogs with show lineage. Since I have been doing field/show crosses, I need to do this test. (If you can't distinguish whether or not your dog has field or show lines, I could help.)
    Most vet opthomologists see the RD test replacing CERF exam in a few years. (For labs)
    "It's the journey that's important, with experience and knowledge to be gained along the way, in the company of our faithful dogs and our good friends."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thank you for the information.

I agree that this is an expensive thing to pursue. My biggest thing i am very interested in is to see how she compares to other labs. As far as i know there are very few who have put in the time, energy, and money into silver/charcoal. I mean how are their hips? genetic disorders? eyes? Is there an underlying problem that hasn't come out yet because of lack of testing. I suppose i am one of those people that wants to know whats behind the scenes.

I will admit that i have been asked numerous times about breeding her. For me to ever even consider it would be to get her titled and all of her tests done. Then the hard part of finding someone else who also put the time into their dog and a pedigree that doesn't conflict. Do i think that i will ever find it? Probably not but ya never know.

LastFrontier i would love to be able to sit down and talk dogs with you. I am fairly new to this game and like to learn as much as i can.

Default Contact your breeder

Is your pup registered? If so, you may consider asking the litter owner about clearances that may have been performed on the dam and sire of your dog. It would give you a head start on what health clearances your dogs parents have been checked for.