Thread: Sea Weed And outboard jet

Default Sea Weed And outboard jet

I recently attempted to take my outboard jet into pws, all in all it went well except....engine output dropped significantly when jet sucked in sea weed. Any one else have this problem and any solutions? As far as I know, there is not a stomp grate for outboards!!

Yep...Karolds Welding in FBKS makes a stomp grate for outboards.
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

Default I had the same problem

when we went to Valdez last summer. It was constant. We were going to run out to Jack's Bay but I kept sucking up crap in the water. I'm not sure that even a stomp grate would solve the problem with seaweed. I'm going to buy a prop lower unit. The water was pretty flat in the harbor, and my boat should easily do 20mph plus and I could only get 10mph. Don't need those kind of problems when you're out on the big water.

Default rake

I have the outboard stomp grate from Karolds, picture posted on one of my past threads on Wooldridge upgrades, never yet tried it on weeds.

Have heard others say they carry a small hand rake.

Also heard that a full reverse blast followed by a full forward blast often clears seaweed from OBJ intake grates.

Default lots of miles

I have jet boated in PWS for a few years now and have rarly had this problem. I also tend to avoid those ares and go around them when at all possible.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

I put over 1500 miles on my boat on PWS using my jet outboard Honda 150, before I got into a life changing event. The small pieces of seaweed would get stuck and cause me to loose power and cavitate. I tried the rake but could only clear it by hanging off the back and using my fingers to reach in and pull out the seaweed. Most trips only would happen maybe once or twice no big deal.
    One day on my way back across Orca Bay in 5 to 6 foot seas with a heavy load I got into a huge tide line full of trash. I would start to loose power and have to stop to clear the pump while waves broke over my bow in the large confused seas. I would clear and go and clear and go each time praying I would not get swamped while being without power to steer. Water came close to coming over the stern while I was working on the pump. I was finally able to get out of the trash and into more protected water. I had my boat modified and bought a prop and lower unit as soon as I got back. You may never have a problem until that one day the winds come up out of no where and you need to run for your life. I had way more trouble with seaweed while running from Valdez than I did out of Whittier. I keep survival suits on the boat and we had them out that day.

Be Safe

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

seaweed is a pretty constant problem in the saltwater. i have an inboard and its the same thing, cleaning out at least three times from whittier to point helen. turn the motor off and rake it out is all i can do. stomp grate would probably work as long as you turn the motor off before you do it. i crossed Wells passage in six footers and very confused seas, didnt have a seaweed problem but i will never do that again because of that. if i sucked a bunch up i would have sunk, seas to close together and coming three different ways. be careful out there.

Default remote steer kicker backup?

I have pondered the high seas jet grate clogged by seaweed scenario.
    Among other reasons it is why I chose a remote steer kicker.

The untested vision is the kicker would give me enouh steerage to go a little ways (say a mile or two) at possibly a very slow land speed of maybe even only 1 or 2 mph (considering wind, waves & tide given the max flat calm speed with the kicker of 6 or 7 mph) to get somewhere safer as my worst case.

However, I saw a guy in a 25 ft Wooldridge Classic inboard coming into Seward on his 15 or 20 HP tiller steered kicker in literally solid 5 foot steep chop under a small craft advisory last summer in Seward. We went by and waved at him and he waved "OK" back which was good because all we could do was radio for someone to help him if needed because we had our hands full trying not to pitchpoll or roll our rented 22 ft Aurora army boat. I talked to him at the Rec camp and he said he was not worried...........So I have some evidence of the kicker steer backup plan being viable for a hopelessly clogged jet intake.

If my kicker or kicker steering take a ?!* and fail on me, then I go into "Old Man on the Sea" mode and man the oars described in the "Paddling a Jet Boat" thread. The oars will not fail and can keep the bow into the waves while you radio for help. Last ditch would be a sea anchor if you have and know how to use one of those.................

I would also have someone prepare to heave the always-ready-to-toss-because-it-is-tied-to-the-rail-and-accesible-stowed-just-just-to-the-stern-of-the-drop-curtain 6 man self inflating life raft I carry on the ocean.

The ultimate would be a 22 or 24 foot ACB jet boat that will not sink, can run river rapids, and take off in less than a foot of water!
    Last edited by titobandito; 01-13-2009 at 00:34. Reason: more info

I have a 24' jetboat with an inboard, and I have had some problems with seaweed. My biggest was last spring on the way out shrimping in May, I was looking at birds and not the water, and hit a 15' strip of solid seaweed. I should have cut the power before hitting it, but I tried to power through it, and it clogged it good. I have a stomp grate, but the seaweed is coarse enough that it would not go through it, and I did not want to break the stomp handle. I ended up limping back into Whittier off of step at about 9mph and putting the boat on the trailer. Once on the trailer it was a 3 minute job to clean it out. You can bet that I was watching closer after that. I don't consider that to be the boat's fault. It could have as easily been an outdrive and a log taking me out in a 'real ocean boat' not paying attention.

By the way, I have a 9.9 kicker on this boat as well, and this is a good backup for both seaweed clogging the drive as well as other motor problems. The boat does about 6mph on the kicker, and it is plumbed into the 100gal tank, so I have plenty of range. This is a good investment in my mind. Based on my experience, if you make the effort of going around the seaweed and don't try and cross it, jets work pretty well in the ocean.

Jim

In those times I have had weeds I have been successful in placing it in reverse and blowing the weeds out.

I too have a 15hp Honda kicker plumbed into my main tank.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default Stomp Grate for outboards

Do not fret, Compeau's Inc in Fairbanks offers a stomp grate that replaces your current grates. They do not work well in rivers, once damaged they can get locked but would work excellent in deep water. Just remeber to shutt off the motor. They have a web site and a 1-800 #. I do not remeber the price though.