Thread: 1st Moose

Default 1st Moose

My 1st moose, fought off bears, wolves, marmotts, and a wild dog in the parking lot of the meat packer. WOW some 17 DAZE, can't wait until next year. Thanks to my great friend Chuck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Nice Bull. Really like those long brow tines.

COngrats!!!! Very nice Moose.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Sounds like a good story we need to hear...

Put the pen to paper & give us a run down please...

Default and the rest of the

Story, man you guys kill us details details. Great moose your first will always be the best!

Default Float Hunt

Did a fly in float hunt, floated the day before, set up camp. Scouted a old ox bow. Made a blind and cow called and broke brush for a couple hours. Next morning same spot same thing. The following evening the weather looked like rain, I decided to climb a small ridge and look down on the sand bar I had called from to see more and not have THE BIG SCARY BLACK SPRUCE MOSTER behind me. Saw to many bones on the ground and meat eater tracks every where. Saw him come out of the spruce thicket and he started beating the crap out of a willow thicket. He did this for about 15 minutes. I was up the hill wind in my face perfect, he was 320 yards from me. I cow called to him and he stopped thrashing the tree and started to me he was wagging his head and hitting every bush he walked by. He was about 20 yards from where I had been calling from. He was getting closer to me but getting away from the river. I shot him when he turned broadside, once, oh that hurt through both scapulas, secound shot through the ribs and out the gut, third shot high in the hump, forth shot throught the spine dropped him in his tracks, found the Barnes X bullet a perfect mushroom under the skin after it broke his spine. My Benelli R1 in 300 win Mag is awsome. Took A sheep and a Bou with this rifle. Took the sheep at 400 yards. 10 1/2 lbs with 10 rounds.

Default The oh my lord I can't believe they weight so much!!!!

Okay I finally downed my first moose. I soon noted while taking pictures that two men had a hard time just moving his head a little. Three back breaking hours later he was ready for the meat pole. Makes you think twice about where and when to hunt.

Thumbs up Nice work!

Beautiful animals Stid!
    Give us a gear rundown...we'd love to hear your input.
    joshua

Congrats.
    NICE moose!

Really nice moose...I mean a great moose. The first one is always great and you will never forget this hunt. Enjoy the moment my friend. Ya gotta love Alaska and the moose hunting.

Thumbs up Amen

great bull!! I got my first two years ago similar to yours but brow tines not as long. He now takes up space on my wall and I re-live the hunt freqently.

Default Friend

Hey Brother,

I would say you look like the cat that swallowed the canary!!!!!!!!! CONGRADUALTIONS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WELL DESERVED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I only wish I could have been home to have gone with you. Thanks For all the help and loan with Dylan, I am forever indebted to you. You are about to make it a Grand Slam year. Can't even say I'll be home before the snow flies now heard about weather today. We'll chat you up when I get back on ground.................

Default Almost Died

I have to say that I have had a good end to this year, My bear hunting did not go as well. Almost drown out in the Sound chasing brown bear this may. Fought snow then the bugs and still no bears on the bait. But there is always next year, going to try a fly in 40 mile for spring bear. Gil you keep your head low. May be we can do something when you get back, let me the time frame. Dylan really shoots well, he needs a bigger bow. He is grown up but needs a little more upper body muscle. Here is the sheep a double broomer about 10 1/2 years old. 400 yards. That Bennelli R-1 was a killer this year.

Steve

Default Congratulations!

Nice pics! Congratulations on a very busy season! One comment though (I just can't help myself, so please forgive); you might get a saddle for next season. I noticed that you're riding all three animals bareback. For me, a saddle is much more comfortable... but everyone has their preferences.

Uh... are you from Wasilla?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Have Gun will travel

My wife says that I sometime live in North Pole. I try to spend as much time as possible out in this wonderous land. Sure makes a person a littlle crazy. Going to take my wife on a fly in for Bou, hope she gets the bug as bad as me. Have health issues and I want to thank Jake for hauling that sheep off the mountain, and Chuck for hauling those moose qtrs for many days. It was great to share these great times with friends away from those day to day distractions, loose a few lbs and enjoy being out and for me a little scared at times. We are not on top of the food chain out there. Makes you feel alive. Can't wait until next year. Already planning, "last things the wife wants to hear after paying for the meat is the next hunt" anyone else have spring fever in Oct??? What R U hunting for next bear, bou ect...