Thread: Ft. Richardson hunt....one off my bucket list

Default Ft. Richardson hunt....one off my bucket list

I was fortunate to draw the winter hunt on Ft. Rich, and shot my first moose with a bow on Dec 17th. Wow, what a thrill. Always wanted to get a moose, but to get it with a bow, that was awesome. A bull that had dropped his antlers already. We looked for his antlers, but couldn't find them. Pretty sure they were 65 1/2" . )

30 yard or so shot, slick trick magnums, Bowtec Allegience.

My son Jonathan didn't get to see me shoot him, but he was there for the work. It took us 7 1/2 hours to haul the meat out. I would do it again if it took twice as long, shoot, even 3 times as long.

We also got to see some wonderful country that most of you call home...you lucky dogs.

Special thanks to Chris for helping me butcher him and loaning me sleds and pack frame; Taylor for coffee, sled, pack frame, garage, etc.; Chris C for bear burgers and bear brats, etc; Bob, Kim and kids for food, friendship and hospitality; Paul for the hospitality. It was great to meet some of you and you helped us rookies out a lot.

Now that this one is off the list, got to get going on the next one.

Paul

Default congratulations!

well done Paul! I can't wait to experience what you experieced. I've had my bow since March 2008. I can't wait.

Thanks BigDaddy. I have shot plenty of whitetails, but this was very special and a very emotional experience for me. Maybe because it has been a lifelong dream of mine, I don't know. Good luck to you and I hope you get to experience it as I did.

It was nice to meet some great people from this forum too. Wish we could have stayed longer. I think Taylor got tired of us, he even practically kicked us out of the store the one day. Maybe it was because he had a hot chick in the store at the time that he was trying to sell some boots and a sleeping bag for two

Heck, I wish I could move to Alaska, but the wife isn't up for it.......yet.

Answer: Dump the wife and find your own Alaska hot chick!!!

Just kidding!

Congrat's again on your bull and I'm pleased that I could help in a small way.

Taylor

Well like I said, it was my pleasure having you guys over. You could try the trick like my dad did to move up here! If she has no home to go home too and she here in alaska on "vacation" she might see it as good time move!LOL It worked for us man. Although I think we got very lucky my mom didn't kill us! She just tried to move back home, but she is back! Alaska is her home she says! You never know man.

So have you recieved the meat back from IVM? If so what do you think of it? Alot better than deer, not as gamie?

Congrats man. For two reasons. You actually lived out one of your dreams. Second you took a nice bull, that is a trophy to you, but you didn't have to have the anlters on the bull.

Bear hunting, is that next on your list?

congrats on your fine moose. i got one there ... 10 years ago now.
    we also had great hunt. I had help a hunting partner 11 years ago get one there ...they died about 50 yards apart was really cold (-10 and -20) for our hunts.
    WTG
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER