Thread: What I got done this weekend!

Default What I got done this weekend!

Holy cow! this is one consuming project. Time goes by fast though while Im working on this.

Okay so throughought the week I was waiting for a tool to take apart my lock. SO I figured Id inlet the rear entry thimble since I wanted to get started and this location is pretty much determined for me.

I spent a few hours with looking, making lines, checking and rechecking and only using a exacto knife for a chisel. Somehow, I got off course and didnt realize till it was too late. I think I just got distracted thinking that if the thimble was square in the ramrod channel that everything else must be square too. Anyway, nothing like getting a screw up first thing. Here it is and how Im going to fix it. Actually Im gonna take that patch out and glue in a one piece now. That will be fun getting this one out!

On saturday, my chisels and mainspring vice arived. Time to start on the lock. This went in pretty easily. I really didnt have to do that much removal or thinking. Still I bet it was a couple few hours prepping and chiseling. It came out great.

Today I put in the barrel all the way. My first PIA was getting the breechplug out. I had this installed by the people who sold me the barrel. They must have used some kind of machinery to force that thing in. And if that wasnt enough, they didnt even put antisieze on the plug! It took a 6 inch vice and a 4 foot cheater to break that loose.

After I broke that loose I was able to set the barrel in and square up the breech with the stock. This was nerve racking as I was scared about going off course again.

Im happy with the fit though. Everything is flush and gaps are minimal to nonesixtant. There are a couple of chipson top of the breech though. Got inletting black all over everything! Hopefully it will sand out, clean off the stock okay.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    Somehow, I got off course and didnt realize till it was too late. I think I just got distracted thinking that if the thimble was square in the ramrod channel that everything else must be square too. Anyway, nothing like getting a screw up first thing. Here it is and how Im going to fix it. Actually Im gonna take that patch out and glue in a one piece now. That will be fun getting this one out!
    Looks like a nice job of recovering, though lots of work. You have to screw up at least once, so better to get it out the way right off the bat, right?

Still I bet it was a couple few hours prepping and chiseling. It came out great.
    Yeah, it did! Like you, I'm amazed how time slips away when you're working with your hands like this.

Today I put in the barrel all the way. My first PIA was getting the breechplug out. I had this installed by the people who sold me the barrel. They must have used some kind of machinery to force that thing in. And if that wasnt enough, they didnt even put antisieze on the plug! It took a 6 inch vice and a 4 foot cheater to break that loose.

After I broke that loose I was able to set the barrel in and square up the breech with the stock. This was nerve racking as I was scared about going off course again.
    I'm wondering if that tight a fit isn't standard? I've got a friend who's an experienced builder and he was showing me how to fit a plug, demonstrating on the gun he was working on. In order to remove/reinstall the plug he was using about the same equipment, though he's even bigger than me and strong as an ox. He got away with a 3' wrench, but the veins in his neck were showing.

Im happy with the fit though. Everything is flush and gaps are minimal to nonesixtant. There are a couple of chipson top of the breech though. Got inletting black all over everything! Hopefully it will sand out, clean off the stock okay.
    Sounds like you're doing a great job of thinking and esecuting for great fits, and the pics show it. My experience with inletting black is that it doesn't penetrate at all, so is easy to sand off unless you get it down into small crevices.