Thread: How do you cook salmon/halibut?

Eagle River, AK

Default How do you cook salmon/halibut?

I like to wrap mine in foil with butter, spices, onions, garlic, jalapenos, or what ever I got in the frig. Want to try some other ways of cooking. Any suggestions?
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Go to the Pantry forum and look at the stickys up top. I have a halibut one there. And there is a salmon one as well. Tons of recipes.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Salmon-mix up mayo, crushed garlic, chopped onions, dijon mustard, and a LITTLE liquid smoke. Salt/pepper salmon (leave skin on), smother fish with above mixture, grill. Don't over cook; skin sticks to alum. foil on grill rack, fish will separate nicely with spatula.

Salmon-dry rub; mix 1 part kosher salt to 2 parts brown sugar; flop salmon fillet (skin off) in this, no rinse or anything, toss on grill (hot!); can spray PAM or brush olive oil on grill so fish no stick. (This is Bernard Rosenberg's recipe!) Again, no overcook.

Halibut-cut into 1 inch or so cubes, toss in tempura batter (most want you to mix tempura mix with cold water; important. Fry in fry daddy or similar till lightly golden. No overcook.
    Tarter sauce.

Last edited by Big Jim; 01-11-2009 at 20:14. Reason: more info

salmon I make fish hash, halibut beer batter or mock lobster. Love halibut sautee'd in lemon pepper

Italian bread crumbs/ parmesan crusted bake it fry it or broil it. I do the same with Salmon or Halibut. I season them first with Cajun, garlic salt, and onion salt. My wife hates fish but loves my fish
    "Give someone a fish and you will feed them for a day. Show someone how to fish and they will just steal your fishing hole and catch more fish then you. Screw them, let them eat chicken!!"

Eagle River/ Juneau

I use fire, cajon seasoning and salt for salmon, beer flour and oil when I'm cooking halibut

In the rare event I cook a small char its green onions, salt, butter and lemon pepper in tinfoil in a fire wouldn't eat it any other way.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

North Pole Alaska

Default Halibut tacos

Halibut soaked in buttermilk overnight rolled in cornmeal then deep fried, place in a warmed corn totilla with scredded cabbage, pico de galo, scredded cheese, lemon juice and a 50/50 mix of mayo and sour cream last but not least a pinch of cilantro. The cheeks work the best in my opionion.

Thumbs up My father-in-law and I agree.

The best Halibut recipe we share is the best recipe ever!!!!!!!

My wife and I will make a dinner, anything but fish, and invite the in-laws. They arrive and bring us some halibut from thier freezer. We put the halibut in our freezer and use at a later date.

Too bad my in-laws love to fish for halibut but don't like to eat fish. They also will trade us for clams or moose, if I can get the wife to agree to it.
    Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.