Thread: WW Grigg rods

Default WW Grigg rods

Have any of you fished or had experience with these rods? My brother fishes one here at home, and weve been looking at there other rods. The price seems right and he loves his, but I thought i'd ask if any of you have any experience with em. Thanks in advance for your input.

I have never heard of them. Not very impressed with what I saw on their website.

Clicked on the "Retailers" link on the website and got "error".

Why so few offerings in 4 piece rods? They seem to have mostly 2 piece rods. That alone would be a deal breaker for me.

The only "online" retailer is just their own store that accepts pay pal. It does not instill confidence to me personally. But then again, they could be nice rods. Perhaps just such a small company that they find it more profitable to sell directly. Who knows.

However, doing a search on the forum, I found where "AK A's fan" has a WW Griggs 8.5' fly rod. I sent him a pm on your behalf and invited him to comment on your post here.

Below is a review I found online. Overall, it was favorable, but I did read where the tip section flew off at times. I had found some other forum post from Utah and Washington state that also made mention of the tip section coming off. One thing to keep in mind though, at this price it likely attracts newer flyfisherman. Point is, they may not be putting the rod together properly. I like wiping a little candle wax on all male ferrule ends to ensure the rod sticks together. This also reduces the likelyhood of sand scratching the ferrules, leading to weak points in the rod. Below is the review of the WW Griggs rods.

http://www.washingtonlakes.com/ReadArticle.aspx?id=113

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I really appreciate you doing the research you did. I share similar sentiments with you. The only thing that had me wondering was that they've been around awhile, and are from Oregon. Sportsman's also carries them, if that means anything? They better make a decent rod to be catching steelhead and salmon up there. Anyway, I thought I'd just run it by you guys. I really want to try and get both a 6 and 8 wt rod to bring up. But I want to get a nice rod that wont kill me to buy 2 of em. I checked out those powell rods and also did some research. Lots of guys loved them, and lots of guys hated them, mainly due to manfacturer defects. IT sounds like it's a crap shoot whether you get a good or bad rod. Any other suggestions on possible rods?

One of my best rods in a St Croix Legend Ultra. Not cheap, but not as pricey as some. If you can swing a middle priced rod, I think they are worth looking at.

Another thought on some less expensive rods is below. This link is to a fly fishing shop in Florida. I got a few of my Scott rods from these guys. Good shop. The St Croix Reign rods are on sale for about $80. I doubt they will be available long. They could already be sold off, so if interested, check soon. They are normally $150. I see they have 5,6, and 9 wt. I would get a 6 wt for dollies/bows and a 9 wt for salmon. Looks like a lot of rod for the money and would be a good deal in my opinion. At the price point of the Powell and WW Griggs rods, there is not much out there. But at least this is with a trusted name in fly fishing.

http://www.flyfishermaninc.com/sales.html

Below are the models of the St Croix Reign they have left....

St. Croix Reign 865-4 : 5-weight, 8'6", 4-piece. Regular price $150.00; sale price $82.50

St. Croix Reign 905-4 : 5-weight, 9 foot, 4-piece. Regular price $150.00; sale price $82.50

St. Croix Reign 906-4 : 6-weight, 9 foot, 4-piece. Regular price $150.00; sale price $82.50

St. Croix Reign 909-4 : 9-weight, 9 foot, 4-piece. Regular price $160.00; sale price $88.00

Also, looking at the St Croix website, I see this Reign rod has a lifetime warranty from St Croix. That sweetens the pot considerably. A lifetime warranty from St Croix actually means something. Below is some info from the St Croix website.

LIFETIME WARRANTY
    Legend Elite® Rods
    Legend Ultra® Rods
    Legend Tournament® Rods
    Legend® Inshore Rods
    Avid Series® Rods
    Reign™ Rods
    Legend® Fly Reels
    SCV, SCIV, SCIII Rod Blanks

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Rods

I think Dan gave some good insight and some well considered warnings on the WW Griggs.

I'm not sure what your budget is, but I would check-out some of the launch and flight series rods from Sage. I fished a launch a couple of years ago and was very impressed with it. I think they retail for around $200-$250.

I'm not quite the zealot for 4 piece rods that Dan is either. I really like a two piece for most of my fishing because I can leave it rigged-up in a double rod case. It takes all of about 10 seconds to get my rod together and get on the stream. I do have a couple of 3 piece rods as well, and they are great for travel, but I have flown my two piece rods as carry-ons on literally dozens of cross-country trips and the only time it's ever been an issue (I simply had to gate check it) was on an MD-80. In all the other 737s-747s, etc. I've flown on, I've just put the double rod case with reels on the rods, in the overhead compartment. I have had to assure gate attendants and security staff that it would work a few times, but most of the time, they don't even question it.

I have yet to do a remote rafting trip with my two piece rods, but I have flown with them in Beavers and 206's for day trips with no trouble. I'll find-out how they work on a remote float this September if all goes well!

If I were buying a new rod, I do think I would look for a 3 or 4 piece, but I wouldn't pass-up a good deal on a rod I really liked to cast just because it was a two piece.

Also, Sportsman's does carry some decent stuff, but they also carry some real crap, so just because they carry it, don't take it for granted that it's a good rod. Remember what I always say too..if you can't try, don't buy it!

There are lots of good mid-priced rods out there. You could also check ebay for a rod if you're familiar with the brand and series. I bought my 4wt RPL+ off ebay last year and have been totally happy with it. I already had a 6 wt in the same series and I knew I loved the action or I wouldn't have bought it, though. I was specifically looking for that rod in a 4wt.

Don't automatically assume your local flyshop won't have anything in your budget either. Most flyshops are really good resources, even if they don't have what you're looking for. Be honest with them about your budget, and any flyshop worth a darn will do their best to accomodate you with the best gear you can afford and service to back it up. Also remember that in almost all cases, better quality fly-fishing gear is sold for the same price, regardless of where you buy it. A Sage rod from any fly shop in Anchorage will cost the same as the same rod from Cabelas or a flyshop back east. The manufacturers insist on it. This is almost always the case, with a few exceptions (demos, discontinued series,etc.)

Default WW Griggs rods

I have a two piece Griggs rod that snapped the first time I used it on the first red salmon I landed. I had walked to the upper Kenai right below the mouth of the Russian and hooked a fish first cast and lost it. Did the same on the second cast. The third cast I got the fish to the bank and snapped the rod in the middle. Send it back with $15 and they sent me a new tip. Nothing special good or bad about them but it is only the second 2 piece rod I've snapped. The first was a cheap 4 wt. I was using to catching silvers in Campbell Creek. I got it with a Okuma reel and case for $85 - I won't pay retail for one.

I've fished for and caught a lot of red salmon on inexpensive rods - for flipping for reds an intermediate priced rods is fine; the real cheap ones are too mushy. I've use a Tsunami brand rod I got off Eaby for about $40 including postage for the past serveral years and landed a lot of fish with it. I've also used quite a number of other inexpensive rods and ended up loaning and then selling a lot of them to friends that were starting fly rod fishing.

Stay away from 3 piece rods - I've snapped on at the top joint and seen a number of other snap in the same place including some high dollar rods. Go with a 2 piece or 4 piece if portability is an issue.

Check out Sierra outfiters, Ebay, and other discount outlets. There are a lot of $50 - $75 rods that will work fine up here for red and silver salmon. Bring 2 or 3 of them - if one breaks you have a spare.

You might also look at the Okuma fly rods - I've got a couple but haven't had the chance to fish with them yet. They look and feel good. I got one on sale in a case for $20 and paid I think $15 for the other one.

Quote Originally Posted by RandallT View Post
    Have any of you fished or had experience with these rods? My brother fishes one here at home, and weve been looking at there other rods. The price seems right and he loves his, but I thought i'd ask if any of you have any experience with em. Thanks in advance for your input.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I have a 5 wt WW Grigg that has been used for everything from Grayling to silver salmon. No problems. Casts nice. I got no problem with it, it does me as well as my Lamiglas 7wt and Scott 3 wt although I do like the Scott...a lott...

Default Can the number of sections cause a rod to break?

Stay away from 3 piece rods - I've snapped on at the top joint and seen a number of other snap in the same place including some high dollar rods. Go with a 2 piece or 4 piece if portability is an issue.
    I can't speak from any experience but my own, but I have caught countless Kings, (15-30lbs) Reds, Silvers, Steelhead, Bonefish, Baby Tarpon, and various other fresh and saltwater species with my 3 piece Sage RPLXI and I've never had a problem with it. 3 piece rods were the norm for many years before 4 piece rods replaced them.

A good rod will have a good warranty as well, so if it does break, you just send it back for a new tip, or whatever. During the season, I've had Sage return my rods in less than a week.

I think this might be a moot argument though. I don't know of many manufacturers who still make 3 piece rods. Still, if you look at the way rods are manufactured, a ferrule is a ferrule is a ferrule. If it's going to break above the ferrule, I can't see that placement on the rod is going to make that big a difference.

Maybe though, I suppose there is more stress on the rod at certain points. Hmmm...

Default Superstitious?

Oops, I just read that post again and realized I should knock on wood. I'm not really superstitious, but I do love that rod and I'll need it in Mexico in a few weeks!!

That was close!

Quote Originally Posted by Scottsum View Post

A good rod will have a good warranty as well, so if it does break, you just send it back for a new tip, or whatever.

Good point made about the importance of a warranty. I go one step further to ensure I am not sent to the camp chair prematurely. I take two identical rods in each weight. If not two rods of the same weight, I at least have an extra tip section for the rod.

All major rod makers will do this. Sage and RL Winston are the most expensive in the $140-160 range. Scott charges $100. Seems TFO and Echo charge around $50-60. I am sure the price is determined in part by the rod, but I am not sure on this. Just quoting what I have been told from the manufacturers. While it is not cheap, it is well worth the money for the added peace of mind. Especially on remote fly in trips. I could not imagine doing a fly out with one rod in a particular weight. Not if it is one I plan on relying one.

Take a two identical rods, or your main rod and a less expensive backup rod, or the forementionded extra tip section for your primary.

The more remote the trip, the more this matters obviously. But I felt it worth mentioning.

Quote Originally Posted by RandallT View Post
    I have an 8 wt WWGriggs rod. It was the right price point for me to get into fly fishing. I have used it for 2 seasons, with great success. I did break a tip section while fishing for Kenai reds (first time for reds). BUT that was operator error and not a rod problem. I sent it in and had a replaced tip section in 7-10 day range. I have fished with this rod 50+ days and it performed well, once I learned it's limitations. If it fits your bugett I say buy it. They have a lifetime waranty and the fish won't notice that you did not spend $500 on a rod...
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default 3 pc rods

I can't see any reason why a 3 piece rod would have ferrules that were any different than 2 or 4 piece rods. The one thing that I don't like about rods that have an odd number of sections is when you break them down. With my 4 piece rods, I sometimes take them apart to carry while hiking, especially if there is a lot of brush along the trail. With a even number of sections, you can break it in half, and have two even length pieces to carry.

Jake

Lots of good advice, thanks guys. I think I've finally decide what to do. It sounds like the salmon is the main concern when picking a rod that won't fail on me. So I'm going to get an 8wt 4 pc TFO pro for salmon, I fish this rod at home in a 5 wt and love it, plus I can use this rod after my trip to Alaska for steelhead trips. I'm also thinking of getting a 6wt for all my trout/dolly fishing on the smaller rivers. I'm might just bring my 5 wt, and forget the 6, but I huess I have awhile to think about that. As for thw WW Grigg rods. I'm definitely going to pass and be sure to let my bro know the news also. If I do get a 6, I'll try keeping my eyes out on ebay for one. Thanks again all of you for your help.

Smile

You knob

I have looked at every rod under $100 I can find over the last few days.

I am kidding of course, so hard to tell with typed words. I enjoy typing this more than you enjoy reading it. Winter time and all.

If you have a 5 wt TFO Pro and love it, this is an easy choice...

Get an 8wt TFO Pro just like the 5 wt.

I would suggest contacting TFO and getting an estimate on extra tip sections for both. Especially if you are only bringing one 5 wt and one 8 wt. Those extra tip sections should only cost you about $50 from Temple Fork and could be worth a lot more if you snap a tip on your trip to Alaska.

5 and 8 with extra tips! Sounds like a solid set up to me man.

I have 2 WW Grigg rods. Never had a problem with either one. I've landed several reds on the Kenai.

A friend of mine did break his. Lifetime warranty with a $17 shipping and Handling fee. That's hard to beat at that price.

I purchased an 8'6" 5/6 weight Griggs Vintage Glass rod this fall. I only had one chance to fish it before freeze up, but I really liked it.

I don't have any plans to use it for Russian River sockeye, but it sure is fun for the local lakes.

I think I paid $59.99 and it came with a reel!

Default for my money...

...I like Griggs. I own a 6 weight 4 piece. I purchased it some years ago after being impressed with their spinning gear, which is also a tremendous value, and needing a packable rod for trout.

Great 1st rod, and very good 2nd rod and beyond. For the money, they are hard to beat. I've used it for trout and salmon (in a pinch), and let my friends beat it up...with no complaints from me. My friend also has an 8 weight 2 piece...I haven't fished it personally but he learned how to fly fish for salmon with it, and likes it well enough.

I'd recommend it for the novice for sure, and even the for more advanced...although the TFO, St. C., and Sage(!) mentioned below are great picks also. I've used my 6 wieght to fish big, ugly, pink salmon flies (is there any other color for salmon?), big wooly buggers, and even fished it down to 7x and size 24 midges on the famous San Juan. For the record, there are better rods to fish 7x tippet - although it worked just fine in all situations.

I should add that their rods don't have a great deal of bells and whistles, if that kind of thing is of importance to you...however, the rod I own is fast enough to keep me happy (and, perhaps, as fast or faster than some of the other rods mentioned below). I found their 4 weight unimpressive compared to their 6, or 8. I've also seen (but not cast) Griggs fly rods that appeared somewhat bulky...not sure if these were older or newer rods than the one I purchased.

Realizing this post is "behind the time" I thought I'd add my expierence for anyone looking for a new rod...hope it helps. If not, go buy that Sage

No worries about the timing of the post. My brother and I had contemplated these for our August trip. I ultimately decide to stick with TFO. I have 5 wt. TFO Pro and love it, so I got the the 8 wt. Pro to match it. MY brother fishes the 5 wt grigg rod here locally for trout and likes it a lot. In fact it's his go to rod, out of 3 he owns. Anyways thanks for your info.