Thread: Who trained today?

Default Who trained today?

Ok, who were the "sissies" today? Who trained and who curled up under a blanket? Kelly, Roca and I got down on the river and trained for a while under sunny skies on a balmy -40 day. It was beautiful.
    We ran singles and extended to about 150 yards. She loves the birds, and for a 7 month old is really fast. There is a lot of hard pack on the river from snow mobiles. Marking is very easy, which to me is perfect training grounds for a young dog.
    I have to get more whistles though. They sure freeze up in the cold. And like I said earlier, I have to teach that girl how to throw. At least she was out there with me and not in the "sissy" crowd.

Default Sissy's R Us Club President

At -40, I'd be adding another log on the fire and curlying back into the couch. LOL
    Fortunately, I live in Palmer. We had a high of -5 today and yesterday.
    Tomorrow will be in the teens. Hooray !!!!! The dogs at my kennel are already feeling the change and are getting more active.
    I have still been out training. -15 is my cutoff though. The dogs are cozy in my heated dog truck while I'm out setting up. They are only out for 5 to 10 minutes to run each set up. Then they get back in the truck. My help and I have to stay out for hours running 6 to 10 dogs depending on who shows up for the day training. -15 is my cutoff mainly because I'm as thin as a toothpick and I start to feel it in my bones. Plus the heater mounted in the back of the truck for the dogs starts to be unaffective.
    Next year I will be training on the east coast for 2 to 3 months avoiding the coldest part of winter up here.

Default Hey Prez!

Good to hear you got out. I think a lot of days are tougher on us than the dogs. They get breaks all the time, we don't.
    We went back out later to play frisbee and ChuckIT. I have a friends psycho lab/pointer cross with us. He can't hardly stand himself if he isn't covered in slobber and ice from fetching the disc. I like the chuckit so the pup can just run like heck chasing the ball. Pretty much a free for all, no rules, game time. Well, there is one rule. NO biting my hand when I take the frisbee. He doesn't do it on purpose, just gets wound up.
    And the old gray beard just watched over us and peed on every log he could find. He has never been much into playing. He figured no guns meant no birds. Everybody got to have fun their own way. Mr. Man will get his chance on birds soon.
    If it warms up like promised, we'll start doubles later this week under the yard lights. Then back to the river for the big retrieves.

Guess I am the VP. LOL
    I'll wait for the balmy temps scheduled for mid week to get out with the dogs. Has anyone heard if they are trapping much in the flood control? Last year, it was nuts with folks trapping right where the dogs ran...
    I'm going to have to do some checking around before I head out there.

As an aside, one of my dogs got frostbitten nipples while out doing fireworks with the kids on New Years. Nasty! One actually turned black and came off....
    Just be careful not to have them out too long in deep snow at these frigid temps.
    "It's the journey that's important, with experience and knowledge to be gained along the way, in the company of our faithful dogs and our good friends."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Default Dogs in coats.

I put all the dogs in coats for a few days when we went out for about 10 min a couple times a day to try to get some exercise. My fear is frozen nostrils and feet. I bootied them all up, lost one. Our "training" area is either 2 ft deep in snow or slick so we are sticking with close unexciting work. I don't need a knee or hip injury and neither do the dogs.
    One suggestion. Dont step on the long line by accident when the dog takes off. (my aching butt!)

Default Good tip

I hate it when the dog yanks my feet out from under me too. Ibuprofen is my friend.
    I remember years back, way back in the dark ages, before wheels were round and it was uphill to school both ways. I was getting my female ready to go to CA for 2 months to train with a pro. We spent every day outside, twice a day regardless of the cold training. She had pups earlier that year and her belly was pretty bare.
    I pulled a t-shirt over her head and poked her front legs through the arms, and then did the same with her tail and rear legs on another. Then I would pin them together tight.
    We would go out on the street and run pattern blinds under the street lights. I took her and a pup outside and we lived at the Pro's kennel. Training there was a piece of cake after all the cold weather work we did.

Hey Linda. Come on out here to the wind tunnel. Fortunately, my home is tucked up against the mountains. Two miles down the road though it can be screaming with the wind. The farms in that area are wind blown clear. I'm just waiting for more daylight to get my my day going. Hooray, it's way warmer.

Ak River Rat, did you by chance train with Carr?

No, and that was a mistake. I wish I had spent more time with top end trainers. The guy I went to was ok. His claim to fame was a record setting derby dog, I think it was Painters Daily Double. He set the derby record at that time, let's see, around 1982 or so, with 60 something points. The dog was better than the trainer. The pro could not get him to handle. I don't think it was a dog issue.
    I got to rub shoulders with the likes of Jackie Mertens, Jay ? and his wife at Trieven Kennels (Thunderhead) and a bunch of folks on the west coast. Way cool for a young guy to go out every day with a lot of them.
    I did buy a really nice 2 year old dog from a guy in Red Bluff CA that showed the dog to the pro and the pro decided not to take him. I thought he was nuts. I took the dog and placed in qualifiyings and an ameteur. He was really a nice dog, but we lost him early.
    My start in FAI was with an old guy named Bob Tarnowski. He took me under wing and got me hooked. Some days I really thanked him, some days when things weren't going well I cursed him. But I do love working dogs so the cursing is minimal. I still have his starter pistol he gave me way back in 1980 or so.

Trained a bit in the yard on Saturday & Sunday when it was -40, but sessions weren't long. Minto mainly burned off some energy as we haven't done much training lately -- too dark & too cold. She has a pretty good coat (for a house dog) except for the belly, plus the frozen ground seemed to burn her feet. The yard was plowed after Christmas, so is a good place to do small lining drills/pile work. I was surprised she remembered "dead bird" to look out & went so hard on "back".

Painter's Daily Double was the 1983 high point Derby dog with 92 points per http://working-retriever.com/retriev.../hiptderb.html

Karen

Default memory

My memory might not be quite as foggy as I thought. Now who are you? Oh yeah, I remember now.
    Paint was a marking fool. That dog had eyes on the sides and back of his head. He would run into the area of the fall and his head came up. Every time. More often than not he pinned the bird.
    Now you guys have me on a mission. Train, train, train. Hopefully we can get some light at night on the river, if not, it is under the yard light for us. We are in the midst of a heat wave. It is about 40 degrees warmer today than Sunday.

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Default 80's flash back- someday.

All those derby dogs in the mid 1980's were running in the Pac Northwest when I started with Gunner out of Gandalf the Golden and Nancy's Buffy (labs) both FC's owner trained and operated. I had a good time but spent those 5-7 years of my youth with dogs and retired people. Gunner got a few derby points and a Master Hunter finally before his arthritis and a ACL took him out at 9. I never quite got back into it like that again. Now I have a family life now but dream of a house on wheels going from trial to trial in warmer climates. Everyone has to enjoy it though or it's no fun.

You got me going too. We didn't do a lot but Molly fetched a bumper for treats. Lucy just wanted to fetch. She practiced honoring then got a couple short bumpers. I put the collars on but don't seem to need them for anything even when side by side training. I still have a freezer full of dead birds from Baron when he "moved" that I'll have to try. Probably nicer than the rock hard bumpers. I just need to make the time. It doesn't take much to get out a few times a day and do a drill and the dogs love it. We have a lot of snow features now to work around and getting more right now.

www.alaskadognews.com

Default Water in January? Are you kidding?

Who in Anchor town did water marks today, January 16? It is flooding! Unbelievable! My son was talking on the phone walking through the flooded creek and timber at UAA.
    WATER MARKS!!!!!! Baby that would be sweet. All my years I never ever thought about getting a dog wet now. (In Alaska)
    Ok, back to my reality. Thawed ducks and ptarmigan on the Chena, not IN the Chena, tomorrow.
    Brown ducks on white snow. That is going to extend the marks a long way. And the P-Birds for the shorter marks. Even though they are white she seems to pick them out very well.

Default No, No, No Not more snow !!!!

Whaaaa!!! It's snowing and the grassy hay fields I've been training in are disappearing.
    I hope it doesn't get too deep,.... or maybe the wind will blow it all away.
    I don't want to go back to parking lots again !!!!!!
    Oh , the humanity !!

Yep, I heard y'all were supposed to get a foot of new snow.
    "It's the journey that's important, with experience and knowledge to be gained along the way, in the company of our faithful dogs and our good friends."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson