Thread: Left Handed 35 Whelen?

Default Left Handed 35 Whelen?

Has any of the large manufacturer's ever made a left handed 35 whelen?

I'm still on the look out for left handed rifle in either 338 Federal or 35 Whelen. I know Tikka has made a lefty 338 Federal but I cannot confirm production of a lefty 35 whelen by any of the companies. I've looked on gunbroker, auctionarms and gunsamerica with no luck.

Being left handed really sucks.

Cool Left handed

Just looked on Remington web site,they have at least one model, the 700 CDL in LH-35 Whelen, http://www.remington.com/products/fi..._CDL_specs.asp

Is that what you are thinking? They also had a 35 Whelen in 700 KS Custom KS but was discontinued in 2008.

Mark

I saw that Remington builds the CDL in 35 whelen but it doesn't have the all important "L" beside the caliber listing. Every gun store I've been to has a very limited supply of left handed rifles and is hit or miss when trying to order such a rifle in any caliber besides 300wm, short mags, 270, 308, and 30-06.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    Has any of the large manufacturer's ever made a left handed 35 whelen?

I'm still on the look out for left handed rifle in either 338 Federal or 35 Whelen. I know Tikka has made a lefty 338 Federal but I cannot confirm production of a lefty 35 whelen by any of the companies. I've looked on gunbroker, auctionarms and gunsamerica with no luck.

My research says none of the bigger companies ever made one. Mine is built from scratch on a MRC but any lefty 270 or 06 is just an easy rebarrel away
    Tennessee

Default 35 Whelen

I see what you mean. Seems like the guns listed under a "LH" category would be all LH, but you are right. The Remingtong # 27019 isn't a LH gun. Sorry, Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    Yup. I've been contending with it since the 1950's. Seems like any company that brings out lefties never heard of anything but 270, 06, 7 mag, and sometimes the 300.

Short and long answer for me has been to rebarrel. When I was doing a lot of it, I scrounged for lefty rifles at cheap prices in any caliber, then rebarreled to original barrel contours in the caliber I wanted. Saved on the expense of stocking when working from a bare action. On lucky strokes, I could sometimes get the rifle and a new barrel for less than the cost of a new factory rifle. It's a sometimes thing finding them, but worth watching for bargain lefties in the used rack.

I've had both a 35 Whelen and a 35 AI Whelen at one time or another, and let both slip through my fingers. Can't begin to list all the other calibers I've rebarreled, but they should all be out there floating around somewhere. Right now, in addition to standard factory calibers, I've got rebarreled M700 lefties in 257 Roberts, 280, and 375. And nope, none of them are likely to end up on used racks any time soon.

So if I decide to purchase a lefty rifle and have it rebarreled who in Anchorage would you guys recommend to do the work? How much should I expect to pay for such a job? What exactly does a 'rebarrel' consist of? Any suggestions or tips for such a project would be appreciated.

if you buy a standard action (ie:30-06, etc), a 35 whelen bbl runs anywhere from $80 (A&B) on up. I have a few douglas bbls and they run around the $225 area. as for screwing it on and chambering it, depends on who you go through. You can have it done for around the $400 mark (total).

I feel for you southpaws.

What about a remington pump? Those are easy to find in 35 whelen.

Costs depends on how fancy you want to get. For example, a stainless Lilja barrel will run about $350. Add another $250-300 if you want to go the entire way and get the action squared and a trigger job done at the same time.
    You could find a douglas or shilen on sale sometimes for $150 or so and stay with another $150 in gunsmith fee's for a basic rebarrel.

A third option would be to find someone who rebores and buy a used 06 and then have the original barrel rebored and rechambered. This could be the least expensive option but reboring is almost a lost art as of late.
    Tennessee