Thread: fishin' Kodiak

Default fishin' Kodiak

any advice on fishing Kodiak, where to stay for stream fishing? Also looking for recommendations for a good lodge or guide for salt water fishing.
    thanks for your help,
    ac gal

Default Bed and Breakfast

The B&B's are the best way to go when coming over to Kodiak. Give me a call I can point you in the right direction. Also, what time of the year are you coming? That has a lot to do with the type of offshore and road system fishing.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by laurie@honoluluweekly.com View Post
    any advice on fishing Kodiak, where to stay for stream fishing? Also looking for recommendations for a good lodge or guide for salt water fishing.
    thanks for your help,
    ac gal
    This month's issue of Fish Alaska magazine has some good articles and contacts in and about Kodiak. http://www.fishalaskamagazine.com/ Maybe you could contact them and get this current issue sent. They're nice people.

I posted this on another thread...
    This is a fantastic book!!!

It has quite a bit of info on Kodiak.

"Flyfisher's Guide to Alaska" By Scott Haugen, Dan Busch, and Will Rice.

IMO, this is the best resource available for remote fishing in the state of Alaska...regardless of wether you spin / fly fish. While it does offer contact info for many lodges throughout the state, It's not filled with 'advertisements' or 'featured lodges; (who pay to be in there). Nothing but good, useful info from people who have actually fished these waters!

...Just my $.02

Default The Emerald Isle...

Kodiak is quite the trip if you know how to plan it.

Excellent choice; take advantage of the books dedicated to it...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Quote Originally Posted by NickofTime View Post
    I posted this on another thread...
    This is a fantastic book!!!

It has quite a bit of info on Kodiak.

"Flyfisher's Guide to Alaska" By Scott Haugen, Dan Busch, and Will Rice.

IMO, this is the best resource available for remote fishing in the state of Alaska...regardless of wether you spin / fly fish. While it does offer contact info for many lodges throughout the state, It's not filled with 'advertisements' or 'featured lodges; (who pay to be in there). Nothing but good, useful info from people who have actually fished these waters!

...Just my $.02
    I have to agree here with Nick....this book is like the bible for remote fishing in Alaska. (Outstanding coverage for Kodiak as well!) The style of writing is very direct and doesn't contain a lot 'fluff.' Scott Haugen isn't trying to promote one charter/lodge over another or plugging certain air carriers over another....just straight fish talk!

Highly reccommended!

Thanks for the book tip--I'll check it out. I'm looking at going in mid-August with my nephew, hoping to find some silvers by the streams but would also like to book a day charter for a chance at kings and halibut. Any thoughts about a good captain? I've been fishing in Alaska for many summers now --done the combat fishing on the Kenai years ago but more recently have only done salt water in Sitka and Ketchikan. Welcome the opportunity to get back in the streams with lighter gear. thanks for your help!

Default ATV's

I was there last Aug. and did a combo atv trip to the Saltry and fished off shore with Ultimate Island Adventures. Capt. Shawn treated us well and the fishing was outstanding. Shawn runs a tight ship and is a heck of a guide. I would recomend both trips without a doubt. If you need any additional info shoot me a PM. Good luck

Jeff

Thanks for the book tip--I'll check it out. I'm looking at going in mid-August with my nephew, hoping to find some silvers by the streams but would also like to book a day charter for a chance at kings and halibut. Any thoughts about a good captain? I've been fishing in Alaska for many summers now --done the combat fishing on the Kenai years ago but more recently have only done salt water in Sitka and Ketchikan. Welcome the opportunity to get back in the streams with lighter gear. thanks for your help!
    I've only got two trips to Kodiak, Once in late July-early August, and once in late August-early September. That said, from what I've gathered, mid August is not going to be optimum for Kings or Silvers. You're going want to be there earlier for Kings, and later for Silvers in/by the streams. That said, we had a fantastic time going after rockfish/ling/Halibut in July/August. Last year, by the first week in September, Silvers were really starting to be present in the Buskin. Fishing for Dollies at that time was capital F Fantastic.

Regards,
    Scott

When are you going? I sent you a PM

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard R. Rosenberg View Post
    Kodiak is quite the trip if you know how to plan it.

Excellent choice; take advantage of the books dedicated to it...

Rosenberg/Florida
    Another excellent book was written by Bernard R. Rosenberg who posted this response.

I'm looking at going in mid-August with my nephew, hoping to find some silvers by the streams but would also like to book a day charter for a chance at kings and halibut. Any thoughts about a good captain? I've been fishing in Alaska for many summers now --done the combat fishing on the Kenai years ago but more recently have only done salt water in Sitka and Ketchikan. Welcome the opportunity to get back in the streams with lighter gear. thanks for your help!
    Mid-August is early for reliable silver production in streams on the road system. Still lots of pinks around, so any early silvers can be hard to get to. It's variable from year to year. Best bet for thin pink salmon #'s and a few early silvers is the river at Pasagshak. You'll also find silvers along the beaches and near river mouths by then, but variable depending on the tide and the food distribution, since they are still feeding. If the needlefish schools push up against a beach with the incoming tide, the silvers will be there, too. Watch the birds for clues. Still lots of pinks in saltwater then too. I'm actually real happy with the pinks, so don't get me wrong. Bring light tackle for them and have a ball. But if you have your heart set on silvers from shore, be ready to work for them in mid-August, and if the run isn't early, not to get any at all.

Offshore is different. Lots and lots of silvers. The old time, original king salmon fisherman on Kodiak is Chris Fiala on U Rascal Charters. He's forgotten more about kings off Kodiak than most charter skippers know. His biggest challenge most of the time is getting away from all the other charter boats following him around. Halibut off Kodiak is a gimme. Any charter boat can catch them. If you want real fun, go with Chaz Galagolich on Chazman Charters. He likes light tackle and jig fishing, so action can be hot. He's a wild character too, so the entertainment on deck is about as good as that under the water.

On the book, Busch lied about fly fishing on the Kodiak road system, and he's caught lots of grief from it. He downplays fishing at Pasagshak, yet that's his main water and the place he takes his road system clients almost exclusively. He was just trying to thin the crowd on his home waters so it's a little understandable, unless he happened to be directing folks to go to your own favorite waters instead of his Pasagshak mainstay.

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    Another excellent book was written by Bernard R. Rosenberg who posted this response.

I have this book too, but was a little disapponted....good pictures and maps, but the style of writing is a bit too verbose and corny for me. I felt that it contained way too many 'plugs' of certain featured lodges / outfitters (that may have paid to be subtly advertised in his writings.)

My favorite quote in this book comes from page 65, where Bernie pushes ERA Aviation....."Relax. Your ERA flight attendand will mix up a concoction to make your hop to the island all that more enjoyable. This flight attendant is mixing the 'Era Flyer'." (Oh brother!)

Offshore is different. Lots and lots of silvers. The old time, original king salmon fisherman on Kodiak is Chris Fiala on U Rascal Charters. He's forgotten more about kings off Kodiak than most charter skippers know. His biggest challenge most of the time is getting away from all the other charter boats following him around
    Capt Chris is the man. I have fished all over the world and he is one of the best fishermen I've ever seen. I went out with him twice at the beginning of august in 2006 and it was insane. 2nd time out we both limited on kings again. We caught as many halibut as you wanted to catch up to 80lbs. I caught at least 10 kings the first day and my buddy caught 7 or 8 with a few silvers mixed in. Hundreds of rockfish, which were fantastic eating. He has a big boat and a great crew, here's a link.

http://www.ptialaska.net/~urascal/

Here's a couple of videos we shot while fishing the salt and roadsystem on Kodiak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt-R0sD_hW8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhdua...e=channel_page

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

[quote=nbajack70;424013]Capt Chris is the man. I have fished all over the world and he is one of the best fishermen I've ever seen.]

I've fished around the island all mylife and live in one of the villages, but have heard of Chris and he is a super nice guy that catches lots of fish. For the rivers I would contact beaver lake rentals Mike York 907-486-8799 and see where the bite is happening on th road system.

If you want off the beaten path, no crowds fishing, check out my website. www.kodiakcombos.com good luck.

Default No books!

All those books are garbage for the most part!!!! I have meet one of these Authors listed and was way too into himself. They are paid to pump garbage, not give valid info!

Pick a B and B, ask some questions from them. Book a reputable charter and have fun. There is a river guide http://www.memorymakersinak.com/ who will show you whatever you want in a half or whole day stream fishing and then be on your own for a week having the time of your life. Simple. if you have more questions just ask.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 02-03-2009 at 08:51. Reason: language

Default fishin' kodiak

thanks for all the tips--local knowledge is hard to beat, especially for recommendation on good charter captains!
    mahalo!
    laurie

Default ouch

You guys are speaking pretty harsh words about the books on Kodiak. Before I moved here, the books were all I had. They will get you to all the most popular spots and you can branch out from there. I found them helpful. Of course they aren't going to give you maps to real "honey holes" but lots of good information in them. If you know how to salmon fish, you don't have to rely on someone else to hold your hand anyway. You can see by the crowds where all the fish are, then just start exploring until you get your own spot. I have walked less than 100 yards from many BUSY holes here and gotten my own spot with hundreds of chrome silvers in it. Easy pickens here if you have a little experiance.