Thread: Problem solved

Default Problem solved

Thanks to arrowslinger, my volume problem is solved. Got the speaker from the shack and it does'nt sound bad at all. Now that my e-caller is done, here's a pic. Thanks again to arrowslinger, aksnowshoe, and akmud for the info. I'll give er a try a soon as I get over this cold.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails E-caller 007.jpg  

Looks good and like the camo job, stick that down in the snow and you may never see it yourself.

I went to Shack in Wasilla and they were out of ALL the stuff on the list. Gall said I was the 4th one in that day with the same list of parts.
    But I may have a plan "B" with the amp in some old computer speakers.

Andy

Looks good bud, hope you get to try it out soon!

ADfields, the speaker problem I had was with computer speakers with their built in amp. They just dont put out the decible level to carry the sound. Their meant to sit on your desk and not blow you out of your chair. Just thought I would save you a few bucks and let you know. And despite being sick, I did go out for one stand and the volume was great, no distortion, no critters either, but it was mainly for test purposes anyway. I'm off thursday, so I will probably try again then.

Default Speakers

Just a thought on speakers. West marine and some of the other marine stores carry water proof loud hailer speakers. The one I have in my boat doesn't have to have the volume turned up loud to be heard, should make a good caller speaker. The price wasn't too bad either I think it was around $18-20.

Thanks for the info. The computer speakers I have include a 50amp base driver in them as well as the two 25 amp channels that sit on the desk. My thinking is to remove the 2 little speakers and plug a good horn like you have into the base driver plug. They run on 12vdc so I was going to stack 2 big 6 volt flash light batteries to drive it, and the MP3 to feed it.

So you don't think 50amp will drive a horn loud enough? It would shake the windows in the house when on the computer, but we only use our 3 laptops now and don't use the speakers.

Andy

I think the amp might be plenty with a powerhorn speaker, I was just saying the little desktop speakers sound really loud inside when testing, but outside they were very inadequate. If you find a big speaker that should be enough amp.

How did your Shack speaker work out?
    That was the only thing they had at Shack in Wasilla, the horn. I was thinking some one said it did not work for them so I did not pick it up. I may go to West Marine and get one.

Andy

I read from someone also that the horn from the shack was not very good, but arrowslinger said he has one and it was fine, I got one at the shack and it worked well, no distortion or static. The one I got was the 25 or 29 dollar one, the only one I saw left was the 70+ dollar one, and that'll probably call em in from Nenana.

Mike

Well I got to go to Anchorage this week so I will try the boat one and see how it works. The $70 one at Shack is over my head and I bet it sold anyway.

From Nenana . . . ya think so? $70 aint all that bad!

Andy

Talking

Maybe Nenana is a bit of a stretch, Big Lake though. Any luck finding a horn Andy?

Mike

Not just yet, I got to go to Anchorage Friday morning so I will get one then. This slush has ruined my day! Who the heck ordered 40 degrees and wind?
    Andy