Thread: Need some wiring advise please

Default Need some wiring advise please

I am finally going to put some heated grips on my wheeler My question is: Should I tie the grips into the same place I tied my winch into? My winch is tied into the brown ignition switched wire I believe. Should I just rip the tie in clip off and solder both into the same place? I am planning to solder the winch wire in anyways since the connection is not 100%. I don't think I want my grips direct wired to the battery do I?

If your winch is hot all the time (works when key is off then do not tie the grip heaters to that because if you would acidently hit the heater switch when your key is off it will drain your battery. Just my .02 worth.

What I did with the winch on my ATV was to change the way it was controlled as installed by the dealer. I changed it so the winch's solenoid is only powered by another switch I installed on the body below the handle bar. In other words, the winch's solenoid is off all the time, unless I flip the control switch to ON. This prevents the solenoid from energizing whenever I turn the ignition switch to ON.

Do the grip warmers have a switch to turn them on, or do they stay on all the time whenever you turn the ignition switch to ON? If they can be tuned ON/OFF at will, then it doesn't matter where you get the power from, as long as you don't overload the circuit. For example, I would not get this power from the ignition circuit, nor the lighting circuit, but would get it directly from the battery. All you would need is a large enough round wire terminal to fit over the threads if the positive battery cable bolt. And the ground wire for the grip warmers should be grounded to the chassis, not the battery itself. If the battery's cable bolt is too short, you may be able to buy another stainless steel bolt slightly longer (take the nut with you to the store). However, it can only be longer by enough threads before it hits the battery's case, so measure the distance carefully before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by ADUKHNT View Post
    I am finally going to put some heated grips on my wheeler My question is: Should I tie the grips into the same place I tied my winch into? My winch is tied into the brown ignition switched wire I believe. Should I just rip the tie in clip off and solder both into the same place? I am planning to solder the winch wire in anyways since the connection is not 100%. I don't think I want my grips direct wired to the battery do I?
    I recently installed heated grips and thumb warmer on my Grizzly 700. I tapped into the "hot" lead off the ignition (I think it was brown). I would recommend not connecting directly to the battery. I have two friends that did that and both of them forgot to turn the heated grip controller off...they both ended up with dead batteries and one of them almost burnt up their heated grips. The way mine is connected, they turn off when I turn the key off. No way to accidentally drain the battery. I have the 4 zone winter pack from Symtec and they work great!!! You will be very happy.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

Thanks guys for the input. I got beer, new grips and a soldering iron so I am going to get to work

Thanks guys for the input. I got beer, new grips and a soldering iron so I am going to get to work

Hey, you never said you had beer...Had I known that, we could have hooked your grips up in my garage and then tested them out on the 50 mile loop I have behind the house...and then celebrated our mechanical success with a few brews at my bar! Oh well, suit yourself

man, I'm getting thirsty...whatever shall I do I see an "IPA" in my immediate future!

Seriously, let me know if you need help on the Grips. I'll be around.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660

AK Muddy makes a lot of sense when he says that one can forget the warmers ON and drain the battery. I didn't think of that.

Well I started to take the old grips off with compressed air and they would not budge so I just drink the beer and thought about how to hook up the grips. I then drug the wifes griz into the garage to thaw out since it was about frozen solid. I got the wifes running again, so the grips will wait.

AKMuddy-maybe I'll just have to bring it up to your bar...I mean garage to get it done.

Well I started to take the old grips off with compressed air and they would not budge so I just drink the beer and thought about how to hook up the grips. I then drug the wifes griz into the garage to thaw out since it was about frozen solid. I got the wifes running again, so the grips will wait.

AKMuddy-maybe I'll just have to bring it up to your bar...I mean garage to get it done.
    What kind of heated grips do you have? Do you have the ones that have the heating element inside the grip (hard wired into the grip) or do you have the one that is just the heating element glued to the bars and you use your own grips over the heating element? If you have the one that has the heating element inside the grips, just cut off the old grips and use acetone to clean your old bars and install your new heated grips per the directions. If you have the style that has the heating element that you glue to the bars (no grips included), then it will be a little more difficult. I would still cut of the OEM grips and clean as described before...

Purchase some new "aftermarket" grips and install them over the heating elements at the same time you install the heating elements. The connection to the bike should be the same for either style you have.

If you want to bring your quad to my house, PM me. The beer is already chilled!!!
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660

You might want to think about putting a fuse inbetween the power source and the switch, I have blown mine once since installing it. Put it where it's accessible so you can change it out on the trail if it blows.

I went off the hot lead for the 12v dc receptacle. It is key switched already, and fuse protected. Plus, at least on my quad, it's close to the handlebars so you don't have much wire to run.

Only reason I put a seperate fuse inline with the grips was because if it would blow, it wouldn't affect anything else on the machine. Make sure you carry spare fuses.

Find "KEY ON/KEY OFF" hot wire and wire a "RELAY" with a inline "FUSE" to "GROUND BASE LOGIC". This way if you ever do have a wire rub through it won't short out your system.