Thread: Halibut Molds

Default Halibut Molds

Looking to buy a 32 oz Halibut Weight mold, not the round ball but the rectangle one. Checked Sportsmans maybe Moutain View or BJs? Anyone seem them around Anchorage or on line?

Thanks

AKFishON!

Default Ebay

I got all my weight molds from Ebay. Some are brand new, some are really antiques but still work. Give it a look. Good luck. The rectangular "cod" style molds will be more expensive.

Default yep

Just checked Ebay, found one.

I used a Spam can and made some great sinkers. I took a stainless steel screw eye through the Spam can and poured as much lead in it as i thought was about right. when it cools i simply ripped the spam can and peeled it away and i had a great sinker. There are pics of them on the thread below.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=39064

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    I used a Spam can and made some great sinkers. I took a stainless steel screw eye through the Spam can and poured as much lead in it as i thought was about right. when it cools i simply ripped the spam can and peeled it away and i had a great sinker. There are pics of them on the thread below.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=39064

What do you do with the Spam? No body actually eats that stuff and I think it's illegal to bury it in a landfill!!!!!

Fried Spam is edible. Its easy to take with on a trip. My dog likes it just fine! I bought a few cans as she was so skinny and i waned to put some weight on her before hunting this fall.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Fried Spam is edible. Its easy to take with on a trip. My dog likes it just fine! I bought a few cans as she was so skinny and i waned to put some weight on her before hunting this fall.

My god man!!!!! You torture your dog!!!!! The ASPCA will hear about this!!!!

Drifter
    Do you know the difference between a bowling ball and a can of spam??
    scroll down

If you were starving and had to you could eat a bowling ball!

Bid on the ones on ebay got outbidded the 2lb went for about $48 the 3lb went for $54 then afterwards found this site, much better deal: http://www.hiltsmolds.com/RockCodSinkerMolds.htm

Thanks

Default Hilts

Do a search on google for Rock Cod Sinkers. These things are great you can get them up to 5 pounds maybe even more. What I love about them is they are square so you don't have to worry about them rolling around your gunnel.

make a mold out of plaster of paris or bondo also works

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Lightbulb A couple of options

Thanks for all the info and help, I have found two pics posted.

Option 1: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:SCO:US:1123
    $45.87 for a 2lb mold
    $54.00 for a 3lb mold
    $9.80 shipping each (might be able to combine shipping for a little off).
    I like the area you pour the lead into on this one but the handles may get a little warm, not sure of the hinge as it compairs to Option 2.

Option 2: http://www.hiltsmolds.com/RockCodSinkerMolds.htm
    $35.95 for a 2lb mold
    $39.95 for a 3lb mold
    $12.00 to ship both
    I like the handles better on this one, the pour area might be a little bit of a problem as I imagine pouring this much lead you have to do it quick to get a smooth weight out of it.

Any comments on the above, I was leaning toward option 2 simply for price but I want to get the better of the two if it costs another $10 or so more per mold.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

I purchased the same mold on the left on ebay last year for $20. It's an alright mold and works good but the handles get fairly hot after several pours. The Hilts mold is by far a better mold and I would go with it if it's cheaper. Don't know why that off brand mold is $20 more a year later.

Hilts makes the large cod sinker molds, and jig head molds. Sometimes you can get a good deal on e-bay, other times the go for the price of a new mold.

I got a 4# cod sinker, and just cut them down to provide various weights. I mostly fish jigs and couldn't see laying out the # for a variety of molds.

We used to make sinkers using wood as a mold. Soak the wood for a day or so, you could do several castings before burning it up too much. Who cares, just use rough cut lumber and drill another hole, practically free! For a square mold just use a drill bit with the square cutter around it.

Plus if you use the right wood, the halibut will be "pining" for your bait!

I made my own anchor for my one man pontoon and made a mold from aluminum sheet riveted together. When done just cut it off.